Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-28-2012, 03:51 PM
Senior User

danocross is starting off with a positive reputation.
2% fuel in oil sample at Blackstone

I just received my used oil analysis from Blackstone. I have always had stellar UOAs, but this time they noted that at 2% fuel being present, that is borderline problematic. Any comments on this issue are greatly appreciated.

120,000 on the truck, had it since new, 5k oil changes, I did change the fuel filters about a week before the oil change, couldn't do both the same day. I do fuel filter changes every third oil change, 15k interval. No issues since either the oil or fuel filter changes in terms of performance.

I guess I am finding cause and effect but don't want to jump to any conclusions. Also, I am not any kind of mechanic, I do the basic maintenance well and have had pretty good service from this truck. The FICM did go out at 113,000 miles, a Ford dealer replaced it as I was out of town and stuck in the middle of nowhere.

Thanks again for any advice or thoughts on the 2% issue.
Old 03-28-2012, 03:59 PM
Admin Emeritus

SteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputation
If you were doing a lot of idling on that oil it's possible that could have contributed to the high percentage. I would just keep an eye on the oil level and look to see what the next analysis says. Might even send a sample in at around 2k miles to see if it's still high.
Join our Chapter *HERE*
9/21/54 - 9/25/09
Old 03-28-2012, 04:48 PM
Post Fiend

69cj has much to be proud of69cj has much to be proud of69cj has much to be proud of69cj has much to be proud of69cj has much to be proud of69cj has much to be proud of69cj has much to be proud of69cj has much to be proud of69cj has much to be proud of69cj has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveBricks View Post
If you were doing a lot of idling on that oil it's possible that could have contributed to the high percentage. I would just keep an eye on the oil level and look to see what the next analysis says. Might even send a sample in at around 2k miles to see if it's still high.
Agree with Steve. IIRC, Fords limit is 5%. That is one reason that hours is more accurate for oil changes, however, I also go by 5,000 miles or 6 months whichever comes first.
2007 Thor Jazz 5er, 11k dry weight, 31'
173rd Abn. RVN.
Old 03-28-2012, 04:52 PM
Posting Guru

raptor131 has a great reputation on FTE.raptor131 has a great reputation on FTE.raptor131 has a great reputation on FTE.raptor131 has a great reputation on FTE.raptor131 has a great reputation on FTE.
I would recommend you buy a new oil dipstick. My old one was dark brown and horrible to discern the oil level, the new one is a lot lighter grey color and will help in determining if you are in fact making oil. Just check more often than usual and make note of the level, if it starts getting higher on the stick then you may have a concern, but I think you should be fine
05' silver f-350 lariat 6.0 psd 4x4 crew cab drw, 4"inch turbo back exhaust, BPD oil cooler condenser mount, powermax turbo,dc power 190Amp OEM High Output Alternator , coolant filter, auto meter: boost, coolant temp, trans temp, egt, voltage. scan gauge II, Rds 91 gallon fuel tank toolbox combo, ready lift 2.5 leveling kit, blue spring mod.Fumuto oil drain, AE w/ford enhanced bundle.Air lift 5000 series rear air bags, SCT x4 powerflash with gearhead custom tunes Srl , 8k tow, unlimited tow. 2010 forest river Cherokee 35ft TT
Old 03-28-2012, 04:56 PM
Post Fiend

69cj has much to be proud of69cj has much to be proud of69cj has much to be proud of69cj has much to be proud of69cj has much to be proud of69cj has much to be proud of69cj has much to be proud of69cj has much to be proud of69cj has much to be proud of69cj has much to be proud of
2% of 15 quarts would only be 9.6 ounces. Don't think you'd see that on the dip stick.
173rd Abn. RVN.
Old 03-28-2012, 05:04 PM
Senior User

Thanks for the replies. I went back and looked at old UOAs, I did have a 3% reading at 79k miles, so 40,000 miles ago, next reading was less than 1%, so I do have at least a history of a spike.

From poking around, it looks like a leaking injector O ring could cause this?

I had thought about the new dipstick, this will make me go down to the Ford place here, thanks for that heads up. I have had to re-epoxy my old one together twice at the plastic head anyway.
Old 03-28-2012, 05:12 PM
Post Fiend

If you keep bouncing between 1 and 3 percent I don't think I'd be concerned. Ford wouldn't be.
173rd Abn. RVN.
Old 03-28-2012, 08:48 PM
Post Fiend

BLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant future
you got it injector orings Bad

It does it at cold start till truck warms up

I had this issue in 2 weeks I could see the Oil Leval on the dipstick rise 1qt

Truck would run terrible at cold start Idel ruff Missfire wouldnt shift right then all Go away and run fine warmed up couldnt beleive some leaking orings would make it run this Bad But did. Basicaly had the symtoms of a BAD FICM except I was making oil

Be carefull since the fuel system does leak you might suffer from Low Fuel press at cold start if it gets bad over time might start EATING INjectors

You can rering all 8 for less than 1 injector plus it might run better cold mine shure did after I reringed them
2003 6.0, 4X4 srw, short box, born on 3/28/03 Moog ball joints,DC POWER 190A ALT Duralast Goldtop batterys 10/7/2012,RECON LED SMOKE MIRROR LENS,4 inch turbo back magnaflo exhaust,no kitty, 6 in. lift, BFG 315/75r16, python remote start alarm,pioneer system2 12''subs 1600watt amps ,scangaugeII,coolant filter, blue fuel pres spring, Fresh oil cooler 6/1/11 Final Charge Cat EC-1 rated Silicate Free ELC coolant, Sinister Full egr deleate, ROTELLA T-6 5w-40syn,updatedHPO screen,updated oil filter stand pipe, TC SX8000
Old 03-28-2012, 08:55 PM
Senior User

Benny, so mine has no symptoms at all, it has been running fine. I was surprised there was any issue at all on the oil report. But I hear ya, easier to do preventative maintenance than face something bigger.

My plan is to watch the dipstick closely and send off another sample in 2k miles. If anything starts to change in terms of driveability, I will be on that too. I am **** about MPG so I will watch that for any changes.
Old 03-28-2012, 09:13 PM
Junior User

jjaz43 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Fuel dilution is another good reason for 5k oil change intervals
2 percent by itself is still ok for a 6.0
I would continue to monitor it for now, along with wear metals
For "not being any kind of mechanic" you are way ahead of the curve doing UOA's
Old 03-28-2012, 09:17 PM
Post Fiend

bismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputation
I wouldn't worry about it at this point. Blackstones method of getting a number is an estimate from the flash point. They do not actually analyze directly for the fuel. Other labs will give you a better number for the fuel dilution parameter. See what it is next time IMO.
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARP studs;OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Ball joints;Coolant filter;High-Idle mod;RACCCV6000;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;SynchroMax xfer case;Fumoto valve;Harpooned;CPOhighwayProducts toolbox;tracrac;Fox Weatherboots;Wet Okole Seat Covers;BriteBox;Re-flashed;Quadzilla Recon XZT Fuel Press;Blue FPR spring;DashDAQ;PHP FICM;RiffRaff boots;DCPower250A;PowerInverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;One-piece HPOP fitting;D-plugs&standpipes;BPD BilletWaterPump;SCT w/ Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra;DuraTracs
Old 03-28-2012, 09:33 PM
Senior User

Bismic, can you pass along another vendor for oil analysis? Might be good to see a different report, not the same oil sample now but I will give it more miles first.

BTW, my metals readings are very good.
Old 03-28-2012, 09:35 PM
Post Fiend

BLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant future
From what I have read 2% fuel delution in a 6.0L is Very common

Im with you watch close for awhile Especialy begining next winter when it gets cold and the Orings wear more with more Milage

If you have to go into it for something eles rering them

Mine was making alot of oil I found high on dipstick drained to middle and 2 weeks later it was back up on silver part of dipstick so I was making oil Fast and alot of it plus all the drivability issues cold

also my Bedplate seal was seeping and rear main drip and all of it went away with new Orings Just a couple other things to watch for

Its not to common issue at all but I do figure a few folks have changed a FICM over it and have no Idea bout Orings
2003 6.0, 4X4 srw, short box, born on 3/28/03 Moog ball joints,DC POWER 190A ALT Duralast Goldtop batterys 10/7/2012,RECON LED SMOKE MIRROR LENS,4 inch turbo back magnaflo exhaust,no kitty, 6 in. lift, BFG 315/75r16, python remote start alarm,pioneer system2 12''subs 1600watt amps ,scangaugeII,coolant filter, blue fuel pres spring, Fresh oil cooler 6/1/11 Final Charge Cat EC-1 rated Silicate Free ELC coolant, Sinister Full egr deleate, ROTELLA T-6 5w-40syn,updatedHPO screen,updated oil filter stand pipe, TC SX8000
Old 03-28-2012, 09:36 PM
Post Fiend

bismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputation
OIL ANALYSIS
Blackstone Labs
http://www.dysonanalysis.com/
Butler Machinery Company - Full Service Equipment Dealer
Oil Analysis, Coolant Analysis, Fuel Analysis, Metalworking Fluid Analysis, Fuel Testing, Oil Testing, Coolant Testing — POLARIS Laboratories®
Oil Analyzers, Inc. - Oil Analysis, Oil Testing Services
Aviation Laboratories Contact Us
https://www.herguth.com/testing/prodprot.htm
http://www.mrtlaboratories.com/

I have used MRT, Butler, and Polaris (as well as Blackstone). Blackstone is fine, but I will repeat - their fuel dilution number is not something to get worked up over unless it is continually high (and then I would send it to one of the others I mentioned).
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARP studs;OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Ball joints;Coolant filter;High-Idle mod;RACCCV6000;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;SynchroMax xfer case;Fumoto valve;Harpooned;CPOhighwayProducts toolbox;tracrac;Fox Weatherboots;Wet Okole Seat Covers;BriteBox;Re-flashed;Quadzilla Recon XZT Fuel Press;Blue FPR spring;DashDAQ;PHP FICM;RiffRaff boots;DCPower250A;PowerInverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;One-piece HPOP fitting;D-plugs&standpipes;BPD BilletWaterPump;SCT w/ Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra;DuraTracs
Old 03-28-2012, 09:54 PM
Senior User

Thanks Mark, that is what I am thinking, just keep it in the back of my mind.

The big thing is the truck is running fine. I appreciate the insight on this, that is the way I learn more everyday on here.
Old 03-28-2012, 09:54 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel

Tags
20, 60l, analysis, blackstone, diesel, engine, f250, ford, fuel, idle, oil, percentage, race, sample, samples