Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Super Duty & Heavy Duty 1999 to current Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-02-2012, 11:38 PM
Post Fiend

dkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to behold
I'd say FlexALite rated their 6,200cfm Efan setup for the 7.3l at 18,000 GCWR for a reason. The 7.3l is even more cold blooded than a 5.4l or 6.8l so use your imagination where the GCWR rating would go on the gassers.

All I know is I've pushed my truck loaded up grades and have held 4,500rpm for 5+ miles and the coolant temps went up 3-4 degrees. Thus the OE fan does a pretty good job. If the truck starts to overheat, starts having detonation and loses power while being worked any gain from the efan is pointless in my mind.

On my 74' F-100 that doesn't do any kind of heavy towing sure I'd stick an e-fan on it.
Old 05-02-2012, 11:45 PM
Postmaster

Kajtek1 has a very good reputation on FTE.Kajtek1 has a very good reputation on FTE.Kajtek1 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Did you read the FlexALite description?
At 36 amp it is slightly above 1/2 HP output, yet they claim to free as much as 25 hp from the engine.
If you trust them, why not get 5 of them and you will get so much power freed, that you will not need your engine at all.
Old 05-04-2012, 11:11 AM
Super Moderator

Krewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kajtek1 View Post
Did you read the FlexALite description?
At 36 amp it is slightly above 1/2 HP output, yet they claim to free as much as 25 hp from the engine.
If you trust them, why not get 5 of them and you will get so much power freed, that you will not need your engine at all.
Those HP claims are what you would see on a dyno. Some(most?) dynos work on the principal of a drum of a certain weight being spun up, and that acceleration measured.

Any reduction in rotating weight of the engine, accessories, driveshaft and other drivetrain pieces will show up as a gain of measured HP at the rear wheels.

It's not a "real world" HP gain in terms of actual torque@RPM...
'97 Cougar XR7 30th Anniv Edition 4.6L
'74 F250 Highboy FE390 deceased!
I've been wrong before, I'll be wrong again. Just wait and see. ®
Old 05-04-2012, 01:30 PM
Postmaster

Kajtek1 has a very good reputation on FTE.Kajtek1 has a very good reputation on FTE.Kajtek1 has a very good reputation on FTE.
How many HP snake oil was claiming to free?
Old 05-12-2012, 04:21 AM
Post Fiend

Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.
Well I am going to toss this into the mix.
Electric fan gets it power from where ???
Oh yet the alternator so how much load is
ittaking back out in trying to make the 12V @ X amps?
Just a thought
Sean
Old 05-12-2012, 10:11 AM
Post Fiend

Snowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputation
This is interesting and the thought of replacing the mach. fan with electric never crossed my mind.

Most bigger high perf cars we always ran more than 1 electric fan. I would think with how big the diesel radiator is near 4 electric fans would be needed to cover the whole thing and move enough air. But will 4 electric fans draw enough power to load the alternator as much as the mechanical fan did on the water pump? maybe not, I'm not a number nerd so i can't figure it out. Honestly I don't think the electrical load would be anywhere near the mechanical fan load.

I would be totally interested in doing this on my 7.3 X! The extra mileage and room under the hood is very welcome around here!
https://www.facebook.com/pages/VPT/244788508917829
Old 05-12-2012, 10:14 AM
Post Fiend

Snowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputation
Oh, FYI my buddies escalade has two stock electric fans that are fairly big. If I were to do the conversion I would look for a OEM fan even if it is chevy. "two of them, the big ones!"
Old 05-12-2012, 10:43 AM
Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowseeker View Post

Most bigger high perf cars we always ran more than 1 electric fan.
I did own several cars with single electric fan. But how many cars pull 20,000 or more lb?
In cars the big power is used for 5 seconds at green light, while mid size sedan needs about 10-15 HP to roll at 55 mph.So in cars the need for big coolling comes only when you hit one of long grades we have with 100F outside.
Sure if you use your truck as a grocery getter in mild climate -you will be fine with electric fan. But what part of 1/2HP fan will not replace 20HP fan can't you understand ?
Old 05-12-2012, 10:58 AM
Post Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kajtek1 View Post
I did own several cars with single electric fan. But how many cars pull 20,000 or more lb?
In cars the big power is used for 5 seconds at green light, while mid size sedan needs about 10-15 HP to roll at 55 mph.So in cars the need for big coolling comes only when you hit one of long grades we have with 100F outside.
Sure if you use your truck as a grocery getter in mild climate -you will be fine with electric fan. But what part of 1/2HP fan will not replace 20HP fan can't you understand ?

Not talking about sedans and grocery, talking about 1000hp+ cars cruising the street making more heat than a space shuttle on launch.

So the stock mech fan pulls 10K CFM. If a guy put 4 6K CFM electric fans on the radiator which should pull 24K CFM total, how is that not doing the job?
Old 05-12-2012, 11:03 AM
Post Fiend

Its been awhile, searching it looks as though to get 6K cfm two fans are needed. So 4 fans would be 12K cfm.

Also found a diesel electric fan kit all ready to go.

Flex-a-Lite Fans - Diesel Truck Electric Fan Model 278 - Ford SD 4wd - Flex-A-Lite 278 - Truck Customizers
Old 05-12-2012, 11:06 AM
Post Fiend

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 05-12-2012, 11:30 AM
Post Fiend

dkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahiko View Post
Well I am going to toss this into the mix.
Electric fan gets it power from where ???
Oh yet the alternator so how much load is
ittaking back out in trying to make the 12V @ X amps?
Just a thought
Sean
The battery itself takes load from the fans but yeah the alternator has to work harder with the efans vs mechanical. There is no such thing as a free lunch.

Quote:
Now thats some ricer **** right there.
Old 05-12-2012, 12:59 PM
MMNC (SS)

Tylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputation
Quote:

he's missing a spot!!! wowzers
Old 05-13-2012, 11:15 AM
Post Fiend

These are the cadillac escalade fans I was talking about. They are big but I think 4 could fit the diesel radiator. Also if all 4 don't fit on one side a guy could put the two big ones on the back to pull air and two smaller pushers on the front. The pushers would be right on the AC condenser I believe so I would wire those to come on with the AC.

Oops, forgot the pics. lol

Old 05-13-2012, 11:18 AM
Post Fiend

Also if electric fans (can be enough for the diesel) it would be a great fix for those with the early 7.3 that have problems with belt slip when pulling up grades.
Old 05-13-2012, 11:18 AM