1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ford 6.7 diesel m.p.g.

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2015, 10:03 PM
429martin
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by troverman
I get about 10 city and 15 highway in hilly northern New England. Lifetime average so far is 11.1mpg but to be fair I tow year round and with the cold winters run the remote start quite a bit.
Oh OK so diesel only makes a difference in city driving because I get 14 in the city and 15.5 or so on the highway but I do travel at 70 mph and have a dually. If I do 65 mph on a flat highway I will get low to mid 16's.
I have read where guys in short bed. regular cab with the 6.7L f-250's get 18 mpg all day long.

Old 09-19-2015, 09:36 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 533 Likes on 257 Posts
Originally Posted by 429martin
Oh OK so diesel only makes a difference in city driving because I get 14 in the city and 15.5 or so on the highway but I do travel at 70 mph and have a dually. If I do 65 mph on a flat highway I will get low to mid 16's.
I have read where guys in short bed. regular cab with the 6.7L f-250's get 18 mpg all day long.
The Interstates here are hilly. Going 72mph I get 14. Going 55 on flat roads the best I have ever gotten is 16.7 mpg. But in town mileage usually is 10 and in the winter with 4wd engaged many times it can be single digits.

Old 09-19-2015, 01:09 PM
429martin
Senior User
The Interstates here are hilly. Going 72mph I get 14. Going 55 on flat roads the best I have ever gotten is 16.7 mpg. But in town mileage usually is 10 and in the winter with 4wd engaged many times it can be single digits.
I guess highway we get the same. I assume when we tow is when the diesel will get better mileage. I like the torque, sound, cost of fuel and resale value of the diesel. My truck was $61,000 msrp but after 6 hours of negotiations and walking out the called me for the next two days with lower payments until I said yes and the cost on the paperwork was $52,000 plus tax & lic. On the day I was there I would of only gotten a gas one for that price. They wanted $49,000 for an expedition and the wife said that Is crazy let's take the truck. She loves driving the thing and almost causes a divorce when we go out on the highway😀😂 I figure if we buy another trailer it would be nice to have a diesel. I love my 1991 f-350 and the wife cried when I sold it. We have had this one for 3 years now and no problems.

Old 09-19-2015, 01:34 PM
429martin
Senior User
Originally Posted by don123
I have a 2015 f350 4x4 6.2 CCLB with 3.73's and 11000k on her. Over 10 tankfuls and I'm averaging 13.9 mpg all around. I'm not afraid to get on it either but not most of the time. I've averaged 16 mpg on just highway. Gas is 2.20 and diesel is 2.37 here in MA. Both diesel and gas have been dropping here for months.
Yeah I have come to the conclusion that diesels and hybrids are cost effective if you use them a lot. I have a friend that hauls cars for dealerships all around the west and he would go broke if his trucks were gas. He has a 100 gal thank in the bed and he fills both tanks when he gets a good deal like in Vegas. He said he averages 30% better mileage on his Diesel over his old gas with the 6.2.

Old 09-19-2015, 04:21 PM
sbryan
Lead Driver
Received 122 Likes on 112 Posts
Just back in Vermont from a trip to the RV show in Hershey, PA. 900 miles round trip, 20.9 MPG based on the computer, 20.1 based on actual fill up. Diesel here is 2.599 and regular unleaded in 2.499. I love this truck.

Old 09-19-2015, 04:32 PM
429martin
Senior User
Originally Posted by sbryan
Just back in Vermont from a trip to the RV show in Hershey, PA. 900 miles round trip, 20.9 MPG based on the computer, 20.1 based on actual fill up. Diesel here is 2.599 and regular unleaded in 2.499. I love this truck.

Nice set up. I should of gone with the SRW too but I figured what the hell. I have the camper package and the 5th wheel prep package. The camper package gives you more heavy duty springs all around. I figure incase I need it it would be nice to have.

Old 09-19-2015, 04:43 PM
sbryan
Lead Driver
Received 122 Likes on 112 Posts
Nice set up. I should of gone with the SRW too but I figured what the hell. I have the camper package and the 5th wheel prep package. The camper package gives you more heavy duty springs all around. I figure incase I need it it would be nice to have.
Thanks - I was worried about going SRW with the toy hauler because of it's 18K GVWR but it hasn't been an issue. I am over on my GCWR but I don't worry about that - pin weight isn't an issue and the truck tracks fine with the trailer - no issues with cross winds or anything else. Not a fan of the DRW in the snow which is why I went with the SRW.

Old 09-19-2015, 04:50 PM
429martin
Senior User
Thanks - I was worried about going SRW with the toy hauler because of it's 18K GVWR but it hasn't been an issue. I am over on my GCWR but I don't worry about that - pin weight isn't an issue and the truck tracks fine with the trailer - no issues with cross winds or anything else. Not a fan of the DRW in the snow which is why I went with the SRW.
That's the other thing that worried me if i get a big trailer because out here in California you cab get a citation of up to $2,000 if you go over the GVWR. I thought about the F-450 but the dealer set with the lower gears i would get less mileage and to stick with the F-350. I'm glad I did Because I met somebody who runs construction equipment in Vegas and he wishes he would of bought the F-350 too.

Old 09-19-2015, 10:39 PM
F250_6.7
Junior User
I have a 2011 f250 6.7 with 45000. First week I owned it I went on a 4 hour drive to Cleveland and got 24 mpg and coming back I was pulling a 27' camper and got 14. City driving I'm getting 17-19. This is all hand calculated not off what the truck is saying. I have only had the truck 3.5 weeks

Old 09-20-2015, 09:02 AM
The Bone
Cargo Master
Received 228 Likes on 164 Posts
City driving kills my fuel millage. I get 9.5 in town. To many stop lights and seems like they are always red. :banghead: We are going on a camping trip and pulling a 5th wheel about 18,000 lbs. mostly flat interstate on the way. will post up results in 5 days because that's how long we will be gone.
I was wondering if fuel millage will get better the more miles you have on the truck.

Old 09-20-2015, 11:51 AM
429martin
Senior User
Originally Posted by The Bone
City driving kills my fuel millage. I get 9.5 in town. To many stop lights and seems like they are always red. :banghead: We are going on a camping trip and pulling a 5th wheel about 18,000 lbs. mostly flat interstate on the way. will post up results in 5 days because that's how long we will be gone.
I was wondering if fuel millage will get better the more miles you have on the truck.
I was told at 7500 you see a big jump and than again at 11000 but not as much. I got great mileage around 5000 and now it seems a little less with 14000. Enjoy your trip. And look forward to the figures when you come back.

Old 09-21-2015, 07:26 AM
troverman
Hotshot
I guess highway we get the same. I assume when we tow is when the diesel will get better mileage. I like the torque, sound, cost of fuel and resale value of the diesel. My truck was $61,000 msrp but after 6 hours of negotiations and walking out the called me for the next two days with lower payments until I said yes and the cost on the paperwork was $52,000 plus tax & lic. On the day I was there I would of only gotten a gas one for that price. They wanted $49,000 for an expedition and the wife said that Is crazy let's take the truck. She loves driving the thing and almost causes a divorce when we go out on the highway😀😂 I figure if we buy another trailer it would be nice to have a diesel. I love my 1991 f-350 and the wife cried when I sold it. We have had this one for 3 years now and no problems.
The diesel is great - I like the sound and the smell, at least of the older ones. The 6.7L Ford is too quiet for my liking, and all the new diesels smell kind of like burnt bleach. Fortunately my Kubota tractor fulfills all my needs for the old school sound and smell of a diesel engine, despite only being a couple of years old.

Your truck will definitely do better towing, and overall, than my gas...along with a lot more torque. I just couldn't justify given my towing needs of around 8k lbs. The price of diesel varies all over the country, and overall diesel has closed the gap with gasoline. When I bought my 2012 6.2L, diesel was $0.40 more than gasoline. Even now, where I live in northern New England, diesel is still $0.20 more per gallon than gas.

I think you did very well on your deal - the sticker on my gas 350 was $54k - I bargained down to $45,900 and the dealer gave me $35k for my almost 3 year old gas F-250 I traded in.

My plan is to buy one of the next gen Super Duties as a work truck - XL, 4x4, and diesel. Either regular or extended cab. I will keep the gas as my commuter / general use truck. There are things about the gas which are desirable - it idles nearly silently, heats very quickly in the sub zero temps we get here, and has a nice V8 burble sound. We'll see - it takes a lot of money to buy a new diesel, even a stripped out model (which are still surprisingly well equipped.)

Anyway, that's a great looking dually you have there; I wouldn't mind owning one at all, even in the heavy snow we get here.

Old 09-21-2015, 10:14 AM
429martin
Senior User
The diesel is great - I like the sound and the smell, at least of the older ones. The 6.7L Ford is too quiet for my liking, and all the new diesels smell kind of like burnt bleach. Fortunately my Kubota tractor fulfills all my needs for the old school sound and smell of a diesel engine, despite only being a couple of years old.

Your truck will definitely do better towing, and overall, than my gas...along with a lot more torque. I just couldn't justify given my towing needs of around 8k lbs. The price of diesel varies all over the country, and overall diesel has closed the gap with gasoline. When I bought my 2012 6.2L, diesel was $0.40 more than gasoline. Even now, where I live in northern New England, diesel is still $0.20 more per gallon than gas.

I think you did very well on your deal - the sticker on my gas 350 was $54k - I bargained down to $45,900 and the dealer gave me $35k for my almost 3 year old gas F-250 I traded in.

My plan is to buy one of the next gen Super Duties as a work truck - XL, 4x4, and diesel. Either regular or extended cab. I will keep the gas as my commuter / general use truck. There are things about the gas which are desirable - it idles nearly silently, heats very quickly in the sub zero temps we get here, and has a nice V8 burble sound. We'll see - it takes a lot of money to buy a new diesel, even a stripped out model (which are still surprisingly well equipped.)

Anyway, that's a great looking dually you have there; I wouldn't mind owning one at all, even in the heavy snow we get here.
Thanks and a SRW certainly would be easier to park especially here in L.A. where parking is limited in some places. We have two other cars we use for trips to work or the store. I know these diesels do not like short trips that is why if I am driving less than 15 miles I'll take the car. You can't beat this truck on long trips with the family. I have to hear the wife asking, "When am I going to get to drive?" I keep saying our next stop for fuel but 625 miles till empty we usually go to our destination and back on one tank. I figured any other Ford diesel truck would get better mileage than my CC. LB, 4x4 DRW.

Old 09-21-2015, 10:17 AM
429martin
Senior User
I've heard that before about DRW not being the best in snow and wondered why.

Old 09-21-2015, 10:54 AM
troverman
Hotshot
I've heard that before about DRW not being the best in snow and wondered why.
The extra set of wheels on the back add extra drag in the snow (narrow tire goes through snow better than a wide tire). Additionally, the DRW only gets a simplified version of traction control (engine power limitation only - no braking of individual wheels) and no option for rear locker.

Then again, our city uses a fleet of about 10 F-550 diesel trucks with small dump bodies and sanders on the back, and are of course DRW 4x4 models, with 10' front and 8' wing plows. These don't get stuck, unlike some of the rear-wheel drive only International trucks with plows we use.

Quick Reply: Ford 6.7 diesel m.p.g.