1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ford 6.7 diesel m.p.g.

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 08:55 AM
Lastwagen
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by edjunior
Well, actually this is backwards. Gasoline prices are finally getting back up to the diesel range. Diesel never went down much when the gas finally started dropping. But since the prices have started rising again, at least diesel hasn't risen in conjunction with gas. It's only gone up a little, while gas has gone up nearly $1.00 a gallon. It's almost caught up to diesel.
I don't know where you are but here diesel is now up nearly a $1.00gal from a year ago (around $3.10). I was paying $3.29 for Shell plus at the time. The very reason I was starting to check into switching to diesel. Today, diesel is at $4.05 and Shell plus is $3.89.

Old 03-29-2012, 01:12 PM
edjunior
Cargo Master
Received 60 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by Lastwagen
I don't know where you are but here diesel is now up nearly a $1.00gal from a year ago (around $3.10). I was paying $3.29 for Shell plus at the time. The very reason I was starting to check into switching to diesel. Today, diesel is at $4.05 and Shell plus is $3.89.

Well, that's not so far off. I'm over in the Houston area. I was at Canyon Lake and Kyle area just a couple of weeks ago and got diesel for $3.93. So that's up in just a couple of weeks. Here I get it currently for $3.93. Regular unleaded was sitting at $3.87. So it's only 6 cents difference here.

Regardless of all that, it's just too dang much. And it shouldn't be.

Old 03-29-2012, 01:23 PM
429martin
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by edjunior
Well, that's not so far off. I'm over in the Houston area. I was at Canyon Lake and Kyle area just a couple of weeks ago and got diesel for $3.93. So that's up in just a couple of weeks. Here I get it currently for $3.93. Regular unleaded was sitting at $3.87. So it's only 6 cents difference here.

Regardless of all that, it's just too dang much. And it shouldn't be.
You are lucky. Here in Ca. we are paying $4.59 for diesel and the same for premium gas. In Vegas my brother-in-law is paying $4.19. They say this summer it's going to go to $5.00 per gallon. When I bought my first diesel I remember diesel was about .10 cents cheaper than regular gas.

Old 01-04-2013, 03:07 PM
joemarsh
New User
F250 6.7 desiel MPG problems

First I want to say I love this truck and the 6.7 desiel. That desiel just doesn't say no. However for the first 8,000 miles I averaged 18 MPG around town and 20 -21 MPG on the Highway. Then all of a sudden the mileage dropped to 15MPG for both local and highway driving. I have been to two different Ford dealers and both told me they couldn't find anything wrong and Ford doesn't guarntee MPG on these trucks. Basically
to bad you are on your own. When I ask others that have the same truck they are getting 20 -22 MPG highway. Something must have broken and the diagnostics just are not good enough to figure it out. I have checked the mileage out the old fashsion way and with the computer. They both agree. Does anyone have any Ideas or where to go from here ?

Old 01-04-2013, 03:14 PM
joemarsh
New User
I was getting 18 local and 20 MPG Then all of sudden it dropped to 15 MPG for both local and highway. I have been to two Ford dealers and neither could find anything wrong. They told me Ford doesn't guarntee MPG on these trucks and they couldn't do anything. Others seem to be getting 20 - 22 MPG. It would seem that there is a design fault somewhere in the diagnostics. Does anybody have any ideas of where to go from here ?

Old 01-04-2013, 03:41 PM
snelldawg
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have an idea for where to go.... 6.7L Power Stroke Diesel - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums
Post your question down there and those guys can give you their input.

Old 01-04-2013, 04:27 PM
429martin
Senior User
Originally Posted by joemarsh
First I want to say I love this truck and the 6.7 desiel. That desiel just doesn't say no. However for the first 8,000 miles I averaged 18 MPG around town and 20 -21 MPG on the Highway. Then all of a sudden the mileage dropped to 15MPG for both local and highway driving. I have been to two different Ford dealers and both told me they couldn't find anything wrong and Ford doesn't guarntee MPG on these trucks. Basically
to bad you are on your own. When I ask others that have the same truck they are getting 20 -22 MPG highway. Something must have broken and the diagnostics just are not good enough to figure it out. I have checked the mileage out the old fashsion way and with the computer. They both agree. Does anyone have any Ideas or where to go from here ?
Hi Joe,

I have the 2012 F-350 dually crew cab and I notice when I passed 5000 miles on the odometer it jumped past 18 mpg and then it went back to 15 mpg. I figuered I was getting upper 15's because I have a dually 4x4 crew cab the heaviest possible but sometimes the truck get above 17 mpg consistently driving the same exact way and route with no head wind. Now I get 15.7 to 16.4 mpg and mainly highway. There is definatly somethjing wrong because how can it give me 18+ mpg and then for no reason drop to 15 or even 14 mpg driving the exact same way and route? All the other cars I have had and even previous diesels have not varied like this one has and since the sticker on it doesn not quote a MPG there is nothing you can do and have to accept it. I am currently looking for a truck with the 5.9L Cummins for my brother-in-law because those things consistantly gave 22 to 24 mpg and if you don't neet to tow 24,000+ pounds than you don't need one of these new trucks with all the emission control and backed up exhaust. I always use additave to lower the cetene level because these engines were made to European diesel standards and they have much cleaner fuel overthere. I was told that is why Ford makes the fuel diesel addative. I also just changed to oil for the first time and put Rotella synthetic 5w40 and the next time I am using Mobil 1 diesel truck synthetic oil. I was told by another guy on this forum that after 5000 miles he noticed a jump in MPG (like I did) and then again at 11,000 but not as much. I know it is not the computer because I calculated the MPG the old fashion way to and it is right on. I was told that it is the computer not use to your driving habits and when it finally resets itself after a while it will increase your MPG. Since I just turned 6,000 on my odometer I guess I have to wait to see what happens when it is finally broken in. I was told that could take up to 18,000 to 20,000 miles for this engine to achieve full break in status and operate at the highest efficiency. Keep me posted if you come across any additional information on your MPG problem.

Old 01-04-2013, 05:02 PM
joemarsh
New User
429Martian, I will let you know what I find. I just contacted Ford about the problem. I am pretty sure something broken. Either software or hardware I am not sure. It was real nice when I was getting 20 MPG. Yes I checked it the old fashion way so I'm pretty sure it was accurate. I also noticed that it doesn't matter if I am driving local or highway I still get 15 - 15.4 MPG. I am thinking that the truck is running richand at speed it doesn't lean out. If we all hang together we will get Ford to fix the problem. Your right about the Cummins they get great mileage !

Joe

Old 01-04-2013, 10:51 PM
429martin
Senior User
429Martian, I will let you know what I find. I just contacted Ford about the problem. I am pretty sure something broken. Either software or hardware I am not sure. It was real nice when I was getting 20 MPG. Yes I checked it the old fashion way so I'm pretty sure it was accurate. I also noticed that it doesn't matter if I am driving local or highway I still get 15 - 15.4 MPG. I am thinking that the truck is running richand at speed it doesn't lean out. If we all hang together we will get Ford to fix the problem. Your right about the Cummins they get great mileage !

Joe
WHAT KIND OF SET UP DO YOU HAVE? F-350, DUALLY, CREW CAB, LONG BED, 4X4? I KNOW THAT IF YOU HAVE A 4X4 AND YOU DON'T HAVE THE FRONT HUBS SET TO "AUTO" AND THEY ARE "LOCKED" YOU WILL GET LESS M.P.G.

Old 01-05-2013, 06:03 AM
2000silverbullet
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Does diesel get the same, or similar, "EPA" treatment (ethanol) those of us with gassers get in the winter months?

Old 01-05-2013, 08:35 AM
MexicanScaper987
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Karl4Cat
On my 09 V10, I had a tuner and need to run 93 so the cost between diesel and gas isn't too far apart. Going from 6-7 towing and 9-10 unloaded to 11-12 towing and 17-22 empty was quite the reward......
Thats a big reward, plus the luxuries the new trucks have is also nice!

Old 01-05-2013, 08:36 AM
MexicanScaper987
Postmaster
Matt, the diesel fuel does not get treated with ethanol but most of the stations are using or advertising on the pumps that the fuel may contain up to 10% bio diesel. This is at least true for Sunoco, Shell, Wawa and Hess stations.

Old 01-07-2013, 08:24 PM
ftodaro
Freshman User

Joe
I notice when the indicator comes on that its cleaning the exhaust, that my mileage drops while that procedure is in progress, you might look to see it that if working correctly.

Frank

Old 01-07-2013, 09:39 PM
joemarsh
New User
Yes it is very possible that something went wrong with the cleaning system. However it is not giving any codes and two Ford dealers couldn't find anything. My guess is what ever went wrong the diagnostics on this new engine aren't good enough to pick it out and the dealers just give up without a code to shoot down. I think this is the difference bewteen Japanese car dealers and US. You spend close to $60K on a Japanese car and there ios a problem they have a team of techs and Engineers looking to see why there isn't a code. The US car dealer tells you we don't guarntee mileage there is nothing wrong even if others are getting 18 / 20 MPG .

Thanks for responding.

Old 01-08-2013, 03:22 PM
HuntsDucks70
Senior User
Originally Posted by Karl4Cat
On my 09 V10, I had a tuner and need to run 93 so the cost between diesel and gas isn't too far apart. Going from 6-7 towing and 9-10 unloaded to 11-12 towing and 17-22 empty was quite the reward......

i am not going to hit the OP with some crazy wide range of mileage. this truck, my brothers rig, averages 15-16 mixed, 12-13 towing light, like 6K. its the truck in the pic below before the lift and 36s. it may show 20 if reset once your velocity has stabilized on the hwy, but, you need to zero it when before you leave your driveway to get closer to actual.

Name:  P1010022.jpg
Views: 23961
Size:  277.6 KB

Quick Reply: Ford 6.7 diesel m.p.g.