Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-27-2012, 04:37 PM
Senior User

Doraville is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Project wrap-up and thanks to FTE

I wanted to post a note of thanks to all of the people here on FTE who have helped me make my dream a reality. Although these projects are never "done", I am to the point that I am ready to declare "substantial completion" on my '52 F1 project.

I bought this truck about 2-1/2 years ago, and it looked great as long as you didn't get any closer than about 30 yards. The PO had taken it down the "street rod" path, and even though I wanted more of a restomod, I bought it because the truck had no rust and because it had at least some of the drivetrain components that I wanted. The truck had a mid-80's 302 with a NP435 4-speed manual transmission. It also had a Monte Carlo (GM G Body) clip installed (the G body clip would not have been my first choice, but it was a reasonable choice and it was done).

Two years, countless hours (and I really don't want to know the $) later, I'm pretty happy with where we wound-up.

Here is a summary of what we did to the truck:

Body and Frame:
Drivetrain:
  • Rebuilt the engine
  • Replaced all accessories (starter/alternator/etc.)
  • New carb, HEI distributor
  • Replaced manual transmission with rebuilt C6 automatic, installed Lokar shifter
  • Rebuilt rear-end, install 2.79 gears

Suspension and brakes:

Electrical:

Doors and Windows:
  • New side glass
  • Power windows
  • Replaced all tracks and seals

Interior:
There is no way for me to express here how much I appreciate the help that I received from the people here at FTE. I spent my career as an engineer working with some really knowledgeable people, but you guys are as knowledgeable as anyone that I have ever met.

I plan to bring the truck to Pigeon Forge this year (either the Supernationals or the Smokey Mtn F100 Run, or maybe both). I hope to meet some of you there. I'll make sure to wear my FTE T-Shirt).

Thanks Again,
-DV

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 03-27-2012, 04:51 PM
Elder User

dennisb56 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Beautiful. Looks really nice. A lot of hard work turned into a great looking truck!
Congratulations.
Old 03-27-2012, 04:58 PM
postin' fool

ALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud of
The A/C especially is well done! A very nice truck!
Old 03-27-2012, 05:18 PM
Post Fiend

4tl8ford is a name known to all4tl8ford is a name known to all4tl8ford is a name known to all4tl8ford is a name known to all4tl8ford is a name known to all4tl8ford is a name known to all
That is an extremely rare Truck - Completed
Very nice work all around especially when you had to start with a PO's work and make it fit your desires
1952 Ford F2x2 (Non-Stock Flat 6)
1997 Ford Explorer
Every Thing I've Ever Said Is A Lie
Old 03-27-2012, 05:18 PM
Postmaster

Doc is a splendid one to beholdDoc is a splendid one to beholdDoc is a splendid one to beholdDoc is a splendid one to beholdDoc is a splendid one to beholdDoc is a splendid one to behold
Very nice truck! What model vehicle did your seat come from? I really like the moons and the color. Hopefully will see you in Pigeon Forge.
1997 F150 XLT, 4.6L
2008 F250 XLT, 6.4L Powerstroke
2011 Expedition EL
Old 03-27-2012, 05:28 PM
Kentucky Chapter Member

EffieTrucker has a great reputation on FTE.EffieTrucker has a great reputation on FTE.EffieTrucker has a great reputation on FTE.EffieTrucker has a great reputation on FTE.EffieTrucker has a great reputation on FTE.EffieTrucker has a great reputation on FTE.
Nice ride. A job definitely well done.

Kentucky Chapter Member
Old 03-27-2012, 05:29 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
Very nice truck! What model vehicle did your seat come from? I really like the moons and the color. Hopefully will see you in Pigeon Forge.
Thanks! The seat came out of a Dodge Dakota (2005 I believe). They were cloth and pretty ratty, but I was able to order leather covers for them that looked like a custom upholstery job once installed.
Old 03-27-2012, 05:31 PM
Elder User

r_reed has a great reputation on FTE.r_reed has a great reputation on FTE.r_reed has a great reputation on FTE.r_reed has a great reputation on FTE.
very nice job, very nice truck. i like the concept of "substantial completion" have used the turn myself a couple times. enjoy

Dick R., East Glenville, NY
49 F-1: Flatrod II (flat motor, flat paint)
Keeping one more flathead alive
It smoked, but gave it up 7/27/2013
Old 03-27-2012, 05:46 PM
Postmaster

yamagrant has a spectacular reputation.yamagrant has a spectacular reputation.yamagrant has a spectacular reputation.yamagrant has a spectacular reputation.yamagrant has a spectacular reputation.yamagrant has a spectacular reputation.yamagrant has a spectacular reputation.yamagrant has a spectacular reputation.yamagrant has a spectacular reputation.yamagrant has a spectacular reputation.yamagrant has a spectacular reputation.
here's a good o'l '' ATTA BOY '' at ya. Great job!
Old 03-27-2012, 05:55 PM
Elder User

HILLBILLY BOB has a good reputation on FTE.HILLBILLY BOB has a good reputation on FTE.
congratulations!! What a beautiful truck,i hope that mine will look that good some day
i see that you used the origial gauges & speedometer. nice job
Old 03-27-2012, 06:21 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by HILLBILLY BOB View Post
i see that you used the origial gauges & speedometer. nice job
The gauges are from New Vintage USA. Overall they're OK, but I have had a few issues with them.
Old 03-27-2012, 06:30 PM
Posting Guru

FortyNiner has a great reputation on FTE.FortyNiner has a great reputation on FTE.FortyNiner has a great reputation on FTE.FortyNiner has a great reputation on FTE.FortyNiner has a great reputation on FTE.
DV

That is one sweet lookin' ride, sir. Mission substantially competed!

DW
Old 03-27-2012, 06:32 PM
Old guy with old toys

raytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to behold
Extremely will done, sir. See you at one or the other shows.
2007 F150 SC. Driven once in a while. 2015 Escape SE EB 1.6 Wife's ride
Eighteen trillion, still spending and no end in sight. What fools! Argentina, move over, here we come.
Old 03-27-2012, 07:55 PM
Elder User

Tyler S is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Absolutely beautiful! I can't wait til I am in your shoes! But you have one big problem: Now what are you gonna do with your weekends?!

Well done and congratulations!

Tyler
Old 03-27-2012, 08:00 PM
Posting Guru

reed1951 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Great job bud! Looks great Now drive that bad boy!
Old 03-27-2012, 08:00 PM