Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 2007+ Expedition & Navigator
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

2007+ Expedition & Navigator 2007, 2008, 2009 and 2010 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-27-2012, 02:47 AM
New User

ericjacobsen3 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Soft brake pedal, firm on second pump. What's wrong?

I have spongy brakes on my '08 EL using about half of pedal travel. The second pump uses about 1/4 travel. My mechanic tried to bleed the brakes of any air but it didn't help. There is no leaking brake fluid. I'd like to get sorted out before heavy towing.

Anyone have an idea if this has to still be air in brake lines, master cylinder seal issue or something else?

Last edited by ericjacobsen3; 03-27-2012 at 02:47 AM. Reason: typo
Old 03-27-2012, 10:36 AM
Postmaster

berry1234 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Its been like this for years on ford trucks and expys. Some have it some dont. Search the F150 forums for more info.

Old 03-31-2012, 01:21 PM
Posting Guru

critterf1 has a good reputation on FTE.critterf1 has a good reputation on FTE.critterf1 has a good reputation on FTE.
You have air in the system somewhere.
Old 07-23-2012, 06:45 AM
New User

Soft brakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by critterf1 View Post
You have air in the system somewhere.
I agree it would appear I have air in the system. However, I would think that air in the system would be soft on the second pump, not firm like I am feeling.
Agree?

For the alternate theory that "some of the Expy/F150 just have mushy brakes: I have a hard time believing a 1 million unit per year platform has brakes that cannot be made to work consistently.

I hate to say it, but it would seem to me that this is a bad master cylinder seal that doesn't push against the cylinder wall until extra pressure from a first pump pushes it to seal. Does this make sense based on the design of the master cylinder seals (no idea what they really look like)?
Old 07-23-2012, 10:33 AM
Senior User

function12 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have the same problem on my '11. Brakes work fine but sometime when you just press the pedal it will almost go to the floor very lightly. Then you press it again and it is rock hard.
Old 07-23-2012, 12:05 PM

Beechkid is a splendid one to beholdBeechkid is a splendid one to beholdBeechkid is a splendid one to beholdBeechkid is a splendid one to beholdBeechkid is a splendid one to beholdBeechkid is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericjacobsen3 View Post
I have spongy brakes on my '08 EL using about half of pedal travel. The second pump uses about 1/4 travel. My mechanic tried to bleed the brakes of any air but it didn't help. There is no leaking brake fluid. I'd like to get sorted out before heavy towing.

Anyone have an idea if this has to still be air in brake lines, master cylinder seal issue or something else?
There is an air bubble floating in the system.....they can be stubborn, sometimes taking days to get out.....Highly recommend the use of a pressure bleeder (not the mighty mite, etc, a professional spec unit).

Now if....you hold your foot on the pedal and with the engine running is slowly drops, then you have a master cylinder issue.
Old 07-23-2012, 05:00 PM
New User

When you say it takes days to get a bubble out, do you mean the vehicle brakes are open for bleeding? If you mean just wait with the car in service, I have been waiting 8 months and nothing has chnaged.
Old 07-24-2012, 12:00 PM

Beechkid is a splendid one to beholdBeechkid is a splendid one to beholdBeechkid is a splendid one to beholdBeechkid is a splendid one to beholdBeechkid is a splendid one to beholdBeechkid is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericjacobsen3 View Post
When you say it takes days to get a bubble out, do you mean the vehicle brakes are open for bleeding? If you mean just wait with the car in service, I have been waiting 8 months and nothing has chnaged.
I remember my dad had a chev back in the early 60's, he worked for hours bleeding the brakes and could not get the "bubble" out, ended up taking to a brake shop, took them 3 days bleeding with a pressure bleeder in different methods befor finally getting the air out.
Old 08-24-2012, 09:04 PM
New User

My mechanic said it was the master cylinder and replaced it for $300. Not a bad price but it didn't fix the problem -arghhh!

Did anyone have this condition on an Expeditionn and successfully fix it with extensive bleeding (that I tried once)?
Old 09-05-2012, 05:59 AM
Senior User

mrford60 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have the same problem on my 07 expy and also had the same problem on my 07 sport trac that I got rid of. the sport trac I bought new and I had it back to the dealer 5 or 6 times they bled the brakes, replaced the front calipers, replaced the booster and master cyl, and did a tsb on the brake pedal, nothing helped. finally at 24k miles the rear brakes were worn down and I was about out of time on the warranty so I traded it in, but I thing that it might be something in the brake bias in the ABS unit. I think that we are stuck with the problem. I just bled the brakes on my expy and i dont think that it helped.
Old 09-19-2012, 07:08 PM
New User

1Sic5Oh is starting off with a positive reputation.
Im not sure if your truck has it but our Navigators breaks are horrible if the pedals are adjusted all the way down. If you have the pedal adjustment than raise them more.
Old 09-19-2012, 07:08 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 2007+ Expedition & Navigator

Tags
08, 2007, 2008, brake, brakes, expedition, explorer, f250, firm, lincoln, mkx, pedal, pedle, pump, soft, spongy, truck