1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Door lock question - but not actuators

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 03:35 PM
Greek 350
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Door lock question - but not actuators

Ok guys, I've stumped myself and need some help. I have a 2000 F-350 CC DRW, that had lots of issues most of which I've fixed in the last two weeks. I had to replace three door lock actuators (all but the drivers door) as well as the driver's door switch. So all of the door panels were off. Put it all back together and everthing worked fine. Then I pulled the dash, including the instrument panel to clean (too dirty to describe) and replace an indicator bulb. Now, only the dirvers door locks/unlocks, just as before. Both the driver's door and passenger door switches will unlock the driver's door as will my key FOB. None of the other locks are even attempting to lock/unlock which they did before replacing the actuators so I don't think they are getting any power. Is this a relay or switch possibly? I'm really stumped on this because I've backtracked everything I did and I can't make sense of it. And I have read as many posts as I can take and they almost always address actuators which isn't the problem.

Old 03-19-2012, 04:26 PM
trekbasso
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Probably not much help, but the harness for the door locks runs across the top, under the dash. I accessed my door lock wires for my alarm from under there. In the big taped up harness kind of behind and above the a/c panel. From under the dash look up.
Pink/ light green for unlock, pink/yellow for lock. At least on my 01.
You might have knocked a connector loose.
Good luck.

Old 03-19-2012, 05:21 PM
c125bob
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
subscribing.

Old 03-19-2012, 09:01 PM
Speicher
Junior User
Super Duty with remote keyless entry system RKE uses three relays for the lock system, drivers unlock relay, all lock relay and all unlock relay mounted in one box, the manual shows it to be center of instrument panel. The relays are controlled by the gem module as well as by the switches. The relays separate the individual actuators so the locks can be unlocked in two steps with the remote key fob, push the button once drivers door only and twice all locks. I would suspect you have a concern in the relay area. When you said you removed instrument panel, was that the complete panel or just the instrument cluster?

Old 03-19-2012, 09:12 PM
Greek 350
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Speicher
Super Duty with remote keyless entry system RKE uses three relays for the lock system, drivers unlock relay, all lock relay and all unlock relay mounted in one box, the manual shows it to be center of instrument panel. The relays are controlled by the gem module as well as by the switches. The relays separate the individual actuators so the locks can be unlocked in two steps with the remote key fob, push the button once drivers door only and twice all locks. I would suspect you have a concern in the relay area. When you said you removed instrument panel, was that the complete panel or just the instrument cluster?
Thanks Speicher. I've seen info on the three relays but because they are all seperate functions, it doesn't seem like any one of them could be the culprit since the drivers door still locks and unlocks and the other doors do not either lock or unlock. I only removed the instrument cluster and didn't have to unplug any other stuff besides radio, cigaret lighter, power point so I'm really hoping someone can give me some informed leads. It seems to me it would be a single item like the driver's door switch but I want to be sure before spending the money as it's not cheap and it might not be the problem.

Old 03-19-2012, 09:31 PM
Speicher
Junior User
As per the wiring diagrams the door switches only serve as a ground to the relays. From what you are telling me the door switches appear to be working properly.

Old 03-20-2012, 06:27 AM
c125bob
Elder User
Can you post the diagram? How could he get to the relays to swap them around and see if the trouble moves with the relays ? It sounds like relays to me as well or...... 3 bad actuators.

Old 03-20-2012, 11:09 AM
jd58980
More Turbo
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Subscibing...

My Excursion, everything will unlock with FOB, switch or keyless entry. but will not lock.

Old 03-21-2012, 12:42 PM
Greek 350
Freshman User
Question Relays swapped but no change

Originally Posted by Speicher
As per the wiring diagrams the door switches only serve as a ground to the relays. From what you are telling me the door switches appear to be working properly.
Well I tore the dash apart...again and swapped the three relays in succession into each of the three slots and there was absolutely no change at all. So if one is bad, it faked it for me during this test. So when I lock or unlock the doors from either the driver or passenger door switch, only the driver's door works (crew cab). If I use the remote and double lock the FOB, same thing except that all exterior lights flash as they should. Don't understand how I had power locks one day and no power to three of them the next. Going to pull the door sills and see if I may have pinched a wire or something.

Old 03-21-2012, 02:51 PM
c125bob
Elder User
Well, so much for the idea about swapping the relays. It does seem strange that one day everything is OK then boom 3 doors no workie !

It is not likely that three actuators decided to crap out at the same time. Let us know what you find on pinched wires. Anybody else got any ideas ? Could the GEM be doing this?

Old 03-22-2012, 08:18 AM
Greek 350
Freshman User
Funny you mentioned the GEM because that's exactly where I'm focused now. I agree that three new acutators would not crap out all at once. On trucks with keyless entry modules, the GEM does control the door locks and sends the correct signal to the releays. So now I'm trying to figure out how to trouble shoot the GEM either to confirm or rule it out. I did check the wiring and even pulled the driver's door switch which I had installed just trying to double back on everything I had done but no change. And looking in the Alldata DIY site, out of the multiple pin point tests for door locks, none of them mentions the symptom I have which is only driver's door working, all others not working. So if anyone knows how to test this, please let me know otherwise I'll have to take it to the stealer.

Old 03-22-2012, 09:13 AM
c125bob
Elder User
I'm not much on GEM majic ! Might do a search on GEM and get lucky on a test procedure. I'm usually on the 7.3 board and there are some smart guys there when it comes to the electrical and computer related stuff on our trucks. Post up over there and ask for some GEM help, I bet you'll get it !

I'd try everything before going to the dealer unless you got a good one that you trust.

Old 03-23-2012, 08:29 AM
Greek 350
Freshman User
Thanks, I'll do that. Especially since my dome light issue is back and happens to be controlled by the GEM too. I don't want to go to the stealer since the last time I did they told me I needed a new transmission but didn't tell me I was 3 courts low on trans fluid. I had just bought the truck and took it straight to them because I wanted a thorough punch list to work from since I knew the truck had some issues.

Old 03-24-2012, 04:30 PM
jd58980
More Turbo
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Hey Everyone:

I was having basically the same issues. Yesterday when C125bob mentioned the GEM, I did some research about that issue.

I found a thread about the Vehicle Security Module (VSM) (I think that is what they called it). I had some clicking under the dash under the radio and the door locks went haywire....

One of our fellow members mentioned the VSM. He said to disconnect the battery, in my case both batteries for time for the computers to clear out.

Disconnected the batteries this morning while putting front brake pads on the EX. When done with the brake job, connected the batteries and tried the locks and everything worked.

Guess I will be replacing the VSM now.....

Old 03-24-2012, 11:16 PM
Dnspream
New User
one thing to try

not sure if it will work or not, but you could try to bypass the gem by running your own power wires and ground wires temporarly just to see if the switch works by its self either by a seperate battery or from the drivers door switch, that should tell ya if the door components are working properly, or if there is something else somewhere in the middle (GEM) not working. At least it worked on the older vehicles i worked on. hope this helped some ... and Good luck! hope it all works out for ya.

Quick Reply: Door lock question - but not actuators