6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Universal Garage Door Opener

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 09:07 PM
SavageNFS
Hotshot
Received 7,065 Likes on 2,216 Posts
Universal Garage Door Opener

Universal Garage Door Opener option...I'm sure most guys have this option in their trucks. I have had it on the last 2 vehicles that I have bought and they were pretty straight forward. I programmed mine as soon as I got home and had no problem. I have three doors, three buttons, no problem! Until I got home and I went to open my door and both my door and my wife's opened. It worked the day before??? I tell myself that it's me and that I'm just crazy.

I clear all codes from the truck garage door buttons and start over. Works great for a day and then bam...both doors open on one button again. I've had enough of this...after 4 tries I'm still getting a couple of doors going up. Anyone have a similar issue or should I just take the truck into the dealership?

Old 03-26-2012, 12:27 AM
TRENT310
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
What kind (vintage) of door operator? Fixed code (DIP switch) or rolling code (pairing procedure)? 315, 390, 433MHz? What procedure did you use to program the buttons?

Clear the settings from both the vehicle and all the door operators and restart.

Old 03-26-2012, 07:42 AM
System
Prolocutor
Received 1,198 Likes on 573 Posts
I agree, you have to not only clear all the memory from the truck, but from the door opener too. Otherwise the problem will continue. To clear most door openers, you hold the learn button for more than 10 seconds. If you still have your owners manual, it will confirm. Once you do that, start from scratch on your truck. Remember though, you will have to have the door opener relearn the remotes that came with it as they will get wiped when you erase the memory. Very easy to do though, so don't sweat it...

Old 03-26-2012, 08:21 AM
SavageNFS
Hotshot
They are rolling codes and I tired clearing both the truck and the openers. They are all three 2 year old Chamberlin opener's...nothing fancy or unusual about them at all. No problem's with my other vehicles. I followed the owner's manual. Pressed the two outside buttons until they started to blink to clear all codes (around 30 seconds). Then pressed the 2 outside buttons for 3 seconds to "ready" for learning. Went to garage door opener, pressed the learn button, went to truck, pressed the desired button. Garage door light blinks and door closed and all is well. Did the other doors and all buttons work exactly as they should. 24 hours later, I push one button and 2 doors go up...

P.S. to clear my opener's you press and hold the learn button for 30 seconds until the light blinks rapidly.

Old 03-26-2012, 08:35 AM
System
Prolocutor
Received 1,198 Likes on 573 Posts
Wow, got me stumped then. I do know that the universal door opener on the new trucks is different than the homelink type system used in the past. You skip the step of copying the door remote. Plus, it gives a steady signal rather than having to hold the button until your door starts to go up. Considering those two changes, what else did they change? Those two were for the better. Multiple door cloning is for the worse! That being said, I do have two of the exact same model 4 year old Liftmaster openers that do not get combined. Perhaps a call to Chamberlain is in order as a call to your Ford dealer will probably result in one word. "HUH?"

Old 03-26-2012, 10:16 AM
TRENT310
Posting Guru
Homelink had to use remote pairing to determine the remote control frequency operating band, Car2U cycles through all the ones it supports instead. That's why they eliminated the "copying the door remote" step but it's really in the interest of cutting equipment costs since it doesn't need to receive anything anymore.

My speculation (hard for me to troubleshoot these things without seeing and touching) and barring the user error factor entirely, is that the Car2U transmitter is "rolling" every channel at the same time instead of independently. When you "pair" the door operator to the remote, it's not a 2-way handshake like Bluetooth - it's more like telling the receiver "start responding to this pattern when you hear it" and the transmitter is putting out the same pattern for all the buttons for some reason.

Did this start recently or has it been like that for a while, or did you just use this feature for the first time?

If all else fails, a workaround to the problem would be to clear the codes off one operator and purchase a receiver with the dry relay contacts that go in parallel to the white and red control wire pair for the wall-mounted switch.
A product along the lines of this:
Sears: Craftsman Universal Receiver 315MHz

Old 03-26-2012, 11:33 AM
SavageNFS
Hotshot
it's not the openers...I have the similar system in the wife's Acadia and they are fine as is her opener controls. I am going to take it into the dealer. The truck is a new to me truck with 30k miles on it. I've had it about a week.

Old 03-26-2012, 12:03 PM
TRENT310
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by SavageNFS
it's not the openers...I have the similar system in the wife's Acadia and they are fine as is her opener controls. I am going to take it into the dealer. The truck is a new to me truck with 30k miles on it. I've had it about a week.
I never suggested it was the door operator itself (or perhaps you were replying to Karl4Kat's post) but I'm not sure how the dealer would be prepared to diagnose this kind of issue short of just "replace and hope for the best".

Old 03-27-2012, 08:36 AM
cabindoc
Laughing Gas
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Try programming the doors 24 hrs apart, rather than on the same day?

Old 03-27-2012, 08:40 AM
SavageNFS
Hotshot
Originally Posted by cabindoc
Try programming the doors 24 hrs apart, rather than on the same day?
Hmmm....might have to try that

Old 03-27-2012, 09:12 AM
markiemark
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just a thought. Unplug the opener that you are not programming and then repeat the process for the next opener. Good luck. Thanks, Mark

Old 04-01-2012, 07:09 PM
soling2003
Senior User
It's got to be the ground, they always say it's a bad ground! . Does sound weird though. I like the idea of unplugging the other two while you are programing the remaining one.

Old 04-09-2012, 01:50 PM
SavageNFS
Hotshot
So this issue has finally been resolved. The dealership could find nothing wrong with my universal garage door opener on my truck. We were at a bit a stand off. It happens to be the dealership where I have bought 5 vehicles from over the years using the same salesman. It is not the dealership where I bought the truck (that is a used dealership that specializes in used trucks). This is the local Ford/GM/Cadillac/Dodge/Mazda/Insert whatever dealership name you want, they have it.

I asked my salesman to stop by the house and see if he can program my truck. After listen to him whine about not buying the truck from him...I tell him what I paid and he shuts up. He came over today and gave it a shot. He FAILED on my truck. He had no issues programming the loaner that he drove out (smart for him to be prepared!). So he told the service dept to order me a new opener. It should be here in a day or so...finally. This was driving me nuts. Props to my salesman for going the extra mile. It's why I keep coming back to him for my wife's vehicles.

Old 04-09-2012, 03:27 PM
RedBoat
Rather Be Floatin

Wow, thats what I call customer service!! Good luck I sure do hope the new opener works correctly for more than 1 day.

Old 04-09-2012, 03:59 PM
SavageNFS
Hotshot
Originally Posted by RedBoat
Wow, thats what I call customer service!! Good luck I sure do hope the new opener works correctly for more than 1 day.
Thank you...I hadn't thought of that until just now! I hope you didn't just jinx me

Quick Reply: Universal Garage Door Opener