de-winterizing/ preseason systems test

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 05:24 AM
scraprat
Lead Driver
Received 2,473 Likes on 1,291 Posts
de-winterizing/ preseason systems test

Getting ready to start another work season in the 5th wheel and did the de-winterizing, drained all the anit freeze except maybe I made a mistake and added it to the fresh holding tank and it's a pain trying to get the last of the pink from the tank. Question to any that might know is how are you suppose to get all of the water out of the fresh tank when the hose connections sits an inch or so above the bottom of the tank and was it necessary to actually put anti freeze in that tank.
The water heater is working alright on the propane setting but the electric it's not and I believe I have it figured out that last fall I turned the switch off on the outside of the heater unit and the switch is stuck in the off position, hopefully a little spray lubricant will free it up. If not anybody changed just that switch (it's on the outside of the trailer in the water heater area, mine is in the lower left side.
Everything else checked out good and today we start the 8 hour drive to NY for a couple week layover then on to WI for the rest of the summer. Wife said we'll need to think about leaving earlier in October after last years wake up to 18" +/- snow in VT for Halloween.

All in all hoping for another good season out in the Cameo, but how could it not be with the wife and the dog there to enjoy it with.

Old 04-28-2012, 08:24 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,407 Likes on 1,003 Posts
fill the fresh water tank with water, stir and drain. Next season, open the drain on the fresh water tank and just leave it open. No need to winterize that as it should be pretty much empty.

Try your spraying of the switch and see if that works. I would never mess with the switch on the outside. It is a back up only.

Old 04-28-2012, 09:00 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 456 Likes on 310 Posts
Originally Posted by scraprat
Getting ready to start another work season in the 5th wheel and did the de-winterizing, drained all the anit freeze except maybe I made a mistake and added it to the fresh holding tank and it's a pain trying to get the last of the pink from the tank. Question to any that might know is how are you suppose to get all of the water out of the fresh tank when the hose connections sits an inch or so above the bottom of the tank and was it necessary to actually put anti freeze in that tank.
The water heater is working alright on the propane setting but the electric it's not and I believe I have it figured out that last fall I turned the switch off on the outside of the heater unit and the switch is stuck in the off position, hopefully a little spray lubricant will free it up. If not anybody changed just that switch (it's on the outside of the trailer in the water heater area, mine is in the lower left side.
Everything else checked out good and today we start the 8 hour drive to NY for a couple week layover then on to WI for the rest of the summer. Wife said we'll need to think about leaving earlier in October after last years wake up to 18" +/- snow in VT for Halloween.

All in all hoping for another good season out in the Cameo, but how could it not be with the wife and the dog there to enjoy it with.
For the fresh water tank, flush with clear, drain as already suggested. I never put antifreeze in fresh water tank as I hate the taste of antifreeze with my toothpaste.

For the switch on the Suburban water heater, I use a screwdriver or the tip of my needle nose to push it. Pretty hard to reach isn't it? On my own trailers I wire in an inside switch so I don't have to mess with the one outside, if the trailer doesn't already have one.

They all stick after a while. I have never lubricated on, nor have I ever broke one (yet). They are a real "B" to replace, but it can be done. If you go that route, don't forget to turn off the power.

Steve

Old 04-29-2012, 05:30 AM
scraprat
Lead Driver
Thanks for the response, I had some electric safe spray to degrease and clean electric components and gave just a touch on the the switch and freed it up instantly.
After I get the balance of pink out of the fresh water tank no more anti freeze in there, what a pain getting that flushed out need a bigger drain on that. Anyways thanks.

Old 04-29-2012, 07:28 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 456 Likes on 310 Posts
Originally Posted by scraprat
Thanks for the response, I had some electric safe spray to degrease and clean electric components and gave just a touch on the the switch and freed it up instantly.
After I get the balance of pink out of the fresh water tank no more anti freeze in there, what a pain getting that flushed out need a bigger drain on that. Anyways thanks.
Sounds good! Maybe I'll add some spray to my truck.

Steve

Old 05-01-2012, 05:19 PM
scraprat
Lead Driver
If it matters the brand was "GUNK" electric motor contact cleaner.