Modular V10 (6.8l)  

100,000 mile tune-up, What should be done?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 07:26 PM
mrad
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
100,000 mile tune-up, What should be done?

I think it's time for 100,000 mile tune-up. Truck currently has 103,000 miles on it. I purchased my 2003 X almost 3 years ago with 68,000 miles on it. I had a former Ford dealership mechanic inspect the truck after purchase. He thought it was very clean. He thought the rear differential fluid had been recently replaced with a synthetic. At 75,000, I changed the tranny fluid and added Mobil 1 synthetic. All fluid was changed out with machine.

I noticed last fall that the truck would have a miss for a few miles after sitting in the rain. This weekend we took a 300 mile round trip with the truck and the miss never went away (it had rained the 3 previous days). For a while I was concerned that it may be the tranny, but when hearing the thumping at idle, I figured it must be a miss. Of the 30,000 miles I have put on the truck, half have been towing a 6,000 lb TT. Late last year we upgraded TT's and purchased one that weighs about 9,800 loaded. The X probably towed it 1,500 miles last year.

Should I change the tranny fluid, or should it be good for a few thousand more miles?

I plan on changing all the plugs and originally was going to use motorcraft. After reading Krewats post about the Bosch irridium plugs, I am considering them. What are the general thoughts on plugs?

Do I replace all the COP's or just try to find the bad ones (not sure if 100,000 if past life expectancy for these)? It seems to be the consensus to stay away from any COP's that are not Motorcraft.

Any other fluids that should be changed?

Thanks

Old 03-25-2012, 07:48 PM
Bbasso
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Brake fluid flush.
PCV
flush power steering fluid.
air filter, gas filter.
clean MAF.
Check the vacuum hoses on the back of the intake manifold, one of mine had disintegrated at 64,k
if you did do the trans now with quality fluid, you should be good for another 50,k
same goes for rear end fluid.
Don't forget the anti freeze.

Old 03-28-2012, 07:42 AM
mrad
Senior User
Originally Posted by Bbasso
Brake fluid flush.
PCV
flush power steering fluid.
air filter, gas filter.
clean MAF.
Check the vacuum hoses on the back of the intake manifold, one of mine had disintegrated at 64,k
if you did do the trans now with quality fluid, you should be good for another 50,k
same goes for rear end fluid.
Don't forget the anti freeze.
Thanks for the info.
In reading a couple other threads, I have learned a bit more about the COP's. If I understand correctly, the wires can last 200,000+ miles, but the boots are what goes out? I have found some MC COP's on Ebay for $120 for 8 of them.

Here is some info I had put in the Accel COP's thread:

OEM Motorcraft DG508 FORD LINCOLN MERCURY IGNITION COIL #IC91 SET OF 10pcs NEW | eBay

This link has 10 cops $262. Is this what everyone is recommending?

This sale is for 8 cops but at half the price, however I do not see any Motorcraft packaging

OEM Replacement Ignition Coils Ford, Lincoln, Mercury | eBay

Am I throwing away money by purchasing and replacing all 10 COP's due to a miss?

Old 03-30-2012, 05:10 PM
Airborne1
Freshman User
Originally Posted by mrad
Thanks for the info.
In reading a couple other threads, I have learned a bit more about the COP's. If I understand correctly, the wires can last 200,000+ miles, but the boots are what goes out? I have found some MC COP's on Ebay for $120 for 8 of them.

Here is some info I had put in the Accel COP's thread:

OEM Motorcraft DG508 FORD LINCOLN MERCURY IGNITION COIL #IC91 SET OF 10pcs NEW | eBay

This link has 10 cops $262. Is this what everyone is recommending?

This sale is for 8 cops but at half the price, however I do not see any Motorcraft packaging

OEM Replacement Ignition Coils Ford, Lincoln, Mercury | eBay

Am I throwing away money by purchasing and replacing all 10 COP's due to a miss?
Are you getting a CEL? I had the same "misfire" issue after I "cleaned" my engine bay. At first I thought I'd just replace all the COPs but after reading that you should only use the Motorcraft replacements I decided to just change all the plugs, boots and find the COPs that were acting up after that (Since I had just bought the truck I was going to replace the plugs and boots anyways). After replacing the plugs and boots I since had a misfire going on so I hooked up a scanner and it told me it was Cyl 5. I replaced the COP on Cyl 5 and it runs like a top after that. So, two things, from what I've read on here, I would stay away from the Generic Ebay COPs (unless they are in fact true Motorcraft COPs and if so at $26 bucks a pop that's a killer deal!) and get one or two from RockAuto ($42 each and cheapest I found around for Motorcraft as recommended by Forum member). Second, try and find the one or two that you might be having an issue with. Of course if you have the cash replace them all (couldn't hurt) but if you want to save a little just replace the bad COPs as they fail.

Old 04-01-2012, 12:10 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
Sorry to ask newbie question, but what is a "COP"?

Old 04-01-2012, 07:58 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,391 Likes on 1,100 Posts
Originally Posted by BBslider001
Sorry to ask newbie question, but what is a "COP"?
Newbie questions are always welcome----its how some of us learn---don't be bashful about asking, lots of helpful people here!

COP is Coil-On-Plug which is the newest way of delivering high voltage to the spark plug. In the Dark Ages of distributors, coils or HEI distributor caps and notorious-for-failing plug wires. With the ECM spark energy is available more directly and in theory a better more reliable ignition system for internal combustion gasoline motors.

Old 04-01-2012, 04:29 PM
wpnaes
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 928 Likes on 676 Posts
Clean up the IAC.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...e-for-v10.html

I Do I replace all the COP's or just try to find the bad ones (not sure if 100,000 if past life expectancy for these)? It seems to be the consensus to stay away from any COP's that are not Motorcraft.

Thanks
Just replace the bad COP's, I still have 7/10 of the originals. Agree Motorcraft only.

Old 04-08-2012, 08:50 PM
PartsPaul62
Senior User
Do the tune up before you burn money on the COP's. And buy the boots aftermarket as they will have a new spring in the package, I got some BWD's from O'Reillys AP. They are cheaper than the dealer parts and just as good.
The V-10 has the older OBD-I emission compliance regulations attached to it so you may not get a CEL whenever there is a skip. I pulled a 10k camper 125 miles on 9 cyl's and never got the light. (2001 F-350)
I also have a 2006 F-350 dually, and it is also listed as 'heavy duty engine' also. I never get a CEL when I fuel with the engine running, but the mis-fire codes will turn on the light.
The V-10 is catagorized as a 'heavy duty' engine so the emissions compliance is much less than a F-150 or a car.

Old 04-10-2012, 11:08 PM
mrad
Senior User
Originally Posted by PartsPaul62
Do the tune up before you burn money on the COP's. And buy the boots aftermarket as they will have a new spring in the package, I got some BWD's from O'Reillys AP. Cheaper than the dealer and just as good.
The V-10 has the older OBD-II emission compliance regulations attached to it so you may not get a CEL whenever there is a skip. I pulled a 10k camper 125 miles on 9 cyl's and never got the light. (2001 F-350)
I also have a 2006 F-350 dually that also has OBD-II on it. Never get a CEL when I fuel with the engine running, nor did I get a light when it started cutting up last month because of a burned plug.
The V-10 is catagorized as a 'heavy duty' engine so the emissions compliance is much less than a F-150 or a car.
What exactly do u mean by tune up? Change plugs???

How did you know you were towing on 9 cylinders?

Old 04-11-2012, 01:38 PM
pappy19
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When I pulled my plugs at 93k, they had the gap like the Grand Canyon, and it's a wonder I didn't burn a hole in my pistons. I would never go much past 50k now to change plugs.

I would definately flush brakes, coolant, diffs, tranny + filter, power steering, transfer case, clean MAP sensor, fuel filter, and air cleaner. On your next oil change, you might send off a sample to Blackstone just for some knowledge as to your engine wear.

Pap

Old 04-11-2012, 04:47 PM
Monster-4
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Airborne1
Are you getting a CEL?
For the record the OP will not get a CEL for a misfire. See here for more explanation.

Old 04-13-2012, 07:14 AM
PartsPaul62
Senior User
What exactly do u mean by tune up? Change plugs???
Yes, plugs and boots. And whatever filters haven't been serviced lately. Change all driveline fluids and repack front wheel bearings (2wd). "Service them before you have to fix them" is what I was taught by a shop teacher 30 years ago.

How did you know you were towing on 9 cylinders?
When the V-10 mis-fires on one cylinder, it actually feels like a mild driveline vibraton. And because it wouldn't stand up and work like it normally does.

Old 03-07-2013, 08:47 PM
PartsPaul62
Senior User
Tune up

I haven't been on here lately so I thought I'd post a few pictures of the tune up I mentioned earlier. The plugs seemed to be the originals and the truck showed 142,xxx on the the ticker. I only had trouble with one plug on removal and I had the $55 Lisle tool on hand. Took 2 minutes to pull it out.

Happy motoring!

Old 03-08-2013, 01:21 PM
wpnaes
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 928 Likes on 676 Posts
Lube up the front needle bearings and service the ESOF.
Welcome to guzzle's 4x4 Needle Bearing Maintenance Web Page
Borrow the hub zerk so you can lube up the non serviceable unit bearing
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-hub-zerk.html
Lube up the driveshafts slip yoke.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...nion-seal.html

Old 03-08-2013, 07:03 PM
windyhill
Mountain Pass
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I disagree on the ford COP's they are a rip off. I got a set of ten COPs from for Aftermarket auto parts they where $12 each, they worked perfectly for 60K tell I sold the van. at that price you can afford to get a few extras. I also got a set of Acel coils for my F350. they where about twice the cost and Ive had 2 go bad in 60K miles. FYI The COP's take a 11MM socket and about 5 mins to change one. Your miss sure sounds like one. Buddy of mine has had stock ford COPs go in less them 30K and have had some last for 120K FYI.

Quick Reply: 100,000 mile tune-up, What should be done?