2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 FX4 OffRoad Stuck in Park

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 08:38 PM
FLARenegade
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 FX4 OffRoad Stuck in Park

I am a new member of FTE. My truck gear shift is stuck in Park (console type). I have been reading threads that discuss potential causes such as blown fuses, bad brake switch, bad brake shift interlock actuator, and even ignition switch. All fuses are okay. Before I try to get into all the other possibilities, I have a question around what the local auto parts worker suggested. He said that there is a small plastic piece that may have slipped down interfering with gear movement. This could make sense, especially since the white manual release lever doesn't seem to be moving.

Has anyone had any similar problem that was easily fixed w/ a slipped plastic piece?

Old 03-25-2012, 07:21 AM
PA-Mark
Posting Guru

the interlock test is soooo easy. turn the ignition switch on till all your dash lights come on. depress the brake pedel a few times, you should hear a solenoid clicking from neer the shifter. if no clicky, then there is your problem

Old 03-25-2012, 07:38 AM
MCDavis
Hotshot
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Mark is right...and I would start there. Mine clicks hard enough to feel it in the shifter when you rest your hand on it. It's pretty pronounced. Search on here for the bypass, which will allow you to shift it until you get it fixed. Requires taking the trim off and inserting a screwdriver or another means to depress a small button of sorts.

Old 03-25-2012, 08:38 AM
FLARenegade
New User
Thanks guys. Was going to replace the brake switch (do not hear clicking at the brake pedal, nor the shifter), but it was not in stock. So before I had it towed home (yep, they always break down away from home), thought I would ask about the other possibility mentioned by the parts store.

I've accessed the bypass switch, but cannot get it to move. Gonna run back up to my truck today, & have it towed home if I can't fix it quickly.

Old 03-25-2012, 08:41 AM
FLARenegade
New User
Mark, so without the click at the shifter, is it the interlock actuator or the brake switch not sending the signal? Reason I ask is that when I asked for an interlock actuator at the parts store, they don't even carry it (so thought was not a common problem).

Old 03-25-2012, 08:47 AM
MCDavis
Hotshot
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Do your brake lights come on? If yes...its the interlock. If no...its the brake switch.

Old 03-25-2012, 08:56 AM
FLARenegade
New User
Thanks McDavis. Yes, brake lights come on. But I've also read that the brake switch has multi-connectors, so brake lights could still work while the brake switch isn't sending the signal to the shifter. Will try once more to get the bypass button to move or will have it towed home to wait
while I find an interlock actuator (not carried in the local parts store).

Last edited by FLARenegade; 03-25-2012 at 09:00 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 03-25-2012, 08:58 AM
PA-Mark
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by FLARenegade
Mark, so without the click at the shifter, is it the interlock actuator or the brake switch not sending the signal? Reason I ask is that when I asked for an interlock actuator at the parts store, they don't even carry it (so thought was not a common problem).
Just to let you know, the avalibility of a part at a parts store has no relivance to its commonality for failure... like said previous check it the way it was stated

Old 03-25-2012, 10:04 PM
FLARenegade
New User
Update: Wasn't able to get the bypass lever to release the shifter, so I had it towed home. Started dismantling everything to check it out. Removed the interlock solenoid/actuator from the shifter but did not remove the electrical connector. While holding the solenoid in my hand (in it's plastic housing), I could hear & feel the vibration from the solenoid engaging when I pressed the brake pedal.

However, there was NOT a clicking sound until I manually pressed the lever into the solenoid housing. I studied everything closer & discovered that the clicking at the shifter does not occur just because the solenoid engages. The engaged solenoid lowers the bypass button, but the clicking ONLY occurs when the shifter raises and presses the release lever into the solenoid housing.

My shifter would still not raise & move out of Park, so I dismantled the upper end of the shifter **** and discovered that the plastic housing inside the **** was broken. Although the shift button would depress, the broken plastic was causing the pin not to engage with the shifter itself.

So, tomorrow will find a replacement shift **** and put everything back together.

Good news, in the long run is a fairly simple fix....biggest expense will be the tow cost & my time. But I've learned a lot in the process, too.

Last edited by FLARenegade; 03-25-2012 at 10:07 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old 03-25-2012, 10:11 PM
FLARenegade
New User
Also, ironic that when I bought the truck back in December, I felt that the stock shifter seemed a bit cheap. Hope I can find a better quality one tomorrow.

Old 03-26-2012, 06:00 PM
CelticDevilDog
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Glad to hear you figured it out. I also think the shifter feels a little cheap. I'd like to find a good aftermarket replacement for mine.

Old 03-26-2012, 09:55 PM
tbear853
Lead Driver
Received 1,288 Likes on 1,089 Posts
Originally Posted by CelticDevilDog
Glad to hear you figured it out. I also think the shifter feels a little cheap. I'd like to find a good aftermarket replacement for mine.
Make that "Me Three".

Old 03-27-2012, 12:29 AM
FLARenegade
New User
No luck finding an aftermarket replacement. Shopping on internet for OEM...local Ford dealer can order one for ~$65. Seriously, $65 for that piece of cheap plastic crap that will inevitably break again?

If anyone learns of an aftermarket replacement, please let us know. Thanks!!

Old 03-27-2012, 01:43 AM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
just disable the plastic POS and be done with it for no more $$$

we drove for years without that "safety" interlock

Old 03-27-2012, 06:45 PM
PA-Mark
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by FLARenegade
No luck finding an aftermarket replacement. Shopping on internet for OEM...local Ford dealer can order one for ~$65. Seriously, $65 for that piece of cheap plastic crap that will inevitably break again?

If anyone learns of an aftermarket replacement, please let us know. Thanks!!
I cant imagine what this piece look like... so it may be harder than i think, but can you possibly make a replacement out of alum, or brass. They are relitivly soft metel. You can give it a shot

Quick Reply: 2005 FX4 OffRoad Stuck in Park