Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Excursion - King of SUVs
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-24-2012, 09:56 AM
Posting Guru

TrdLtly has a superb reputationTrdLtly has a superb reputationTrdLtly has a superb reputationTrdLtly has a superb reputationTrdLtly has a superb reputationTrdLtly has a superb reputationTrdLtly has a superb reputationTrdLtly has a superb reputationTrdLtly has a superb reputationTrdLtly has a superb reputationTrdLtly has a superb reputation
Engine Monitoring using Bluetooth OBDII Port Scanner - Not Scangauge or Ultragauge

As the title states, this is for the bluetooth scanner and not for the Scangauge or Ultragauge (There are plenty of threads on those devices already). Keep in mind that while this thread is aimed specifically at the Excursion (gas and diesel), it will work on most 1996 and newer vehicles. I have been doing a little digging into how it works and what it is capable of and am leaning toward getting one soon. Wondering if anyone else has experience with these.

Bluetooth devices:
Soliport ELM 327 Bluetooth OBDII OBD2 Diagnostic Scanner Only $16.75 with FS on Amazon.
For those of you who have deeper pockets here is one from Scantool.net They do offer software called ScanXL that offers Ford Enhanced options, but appears to be all PC based.

Software for:
Android Devices:
Torque Lite - free
Torque Pro - $5

Here is a link to the Android Play (market) with a search of OBDII.

iPhone's (I am not a fan of proprietary software/devices, so someone else will have to post iPhone stuff, but I will be nice and post this one for example):
DashCommand™ for iPhone
Edit: I removed the video as it had died.
Old 03-24-2012, 09:44 PM
Wiser by FTE

Curt's05 is a splendid one to beholdCurt's05 is a splendid one to beholdCurt's05 is a splendid one to beholdCurt's05 is a splendid one to beholdCurt's05 is a splendid one to beholdCurt's05 is a splendid one to beholdCurt's05 is a splendid one to beholdCurt's05 is a splendid one to behold
The 1 star reviews complained of the dropped connection with 3 of them, that i looked at, so i wouldn't buy one., I do like the concept...
05 eb 6.0 psd, edge insight, coolant filter, 4" ss exhaust, egr delete, studs, sct & matt's custom tunes, atlas 40 ficm tune, road master as, v code front springs, rs9000's, 2.2 k inverter, frozen rotors/hawk pads, alpine amp/ 2 10" sub, 27 watt! led back-ups, led interior lights, rear view camera mirror, power-max turbo, harley headlights, hood liner,jimmi jammers, eds ficm atlas 40, F650 lower dash, blue spring, true-trac, 250 amp alt, high idle mod, 18" king ranch rims, 2008 oem super duty PPPower mirrors...
Old 03-24-2012, 09:51 PM
Elder User

LWW has a great reputation on FTE.LWW has a great reputation on FTE.LWW has a great reputation on FTE.LWW has a great reputation on FTE.LWW has a great reputation on FTE.LWW has a great reputation on FTE.
Looks like the video has been pulled as well...
'04 4x4 Limited 6.0L PSD w/2nd row buckets, 4" lift, 33.5"x18, Banks Big Dog, AIH delete, BPD 6-ph FICM, F650 Dash, 4" MBRP cat delete, C1 Diff, Hellwig rear, RAS, Air-Bags, Steering Stabilizer, Tow Package, LED conversion, Full A/V - it's for the kids!

Lightning McQueen; The RBZ; Sadie-The Turbo Diesel Z; The Orange Crush - Time Attack Z; JCR-Turbo ZX; 24hrs Of LeMons Racer; BRE-240Z; The Time Machine; The Rice Rocket
Old 03-25-2012, 07:38 AM
Posting Guru

TrdLtly has a superb reputationTrdLtly has a superb reputationTrdLtly has a superb reputationTrdLtly has a superb reputationTrdLtly has a superb reputationTrdLtly has a superb reputationTrdLtly has a superb reputationTrdLtly has a superb reputationTrdLtly has a superb reputationTrdLtly has a superb reputationTrdLtly has a superb reputation
I found where the Torque app was talked about before: http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/10...orque-app.html

So as Curt stated the weakness appears to be the Bluetooth (BT) adapter. In the above thread they talk about the Torque forums. Those forums may be able to recommend a BT adapter that works or that others have had success with. Have to go check those out later. If anyone finds some good input make sure you share it.
Old 03-25-2012, 01:59 PM
Postmaster

william_04_x has a superb reputationwilliam_04_x has a superb reputationwilliam_04_x has a superb reputationwilliam_04_x has a superb reputationwilliam_04_x has a superb reputationwilliam_04_x has a superb reputationwilliam_04_x has a superb reputationwilliam_04_x has a superb reputationwilliam_04_x has a superb reputationwilliam_04_x has a superb reputationwilliam_04_x has a superb reputation
I'm going to order this adapter tonight. I'll let you know how it works with Razr Maxx and Moto Xoom.

Amazon.com: Bluetooth Car Code Reader Compatible with Android / Droid / Torque: Car Electronics
Old 03-25-2012, 09:41 PM
Elder User

BigRy is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I have one and I use it on all my vehicles, including my Diesel Ex. Never had a problem with it and it gave me all the info I needed, I have since bought an EDGE insight. However, prior I never had a problem with my ELM327 Adapter. It took some time to connect, but once I got it, it worked like a champ. I used the Android Torque app also.
Don't you just love the smell of diesel in the morning......
Old 03-25-2012, 10:25 PM
Posting Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRy View Post
I have one and I use it on all my vehicles, including my Diesel Ex. Never had a problem with it and it gave me all the info I needed, I have since bought an EDGE insight. However, prior I never had a problem with my ELM327 Adapter. It took some time to connect, but once I got it, it worked like a champ. I used the Android Torque app also.
Hey BigRy, Thanks for the input.

Did you use the one in the first post? Do you have the Torque Pro? Any suggestions?
Old 03-25-2012, 11:25 PM
Elder User

Yep, thats the one I have. And yes as well on using Torque Pro. It was only 5 bucks, so I could live with it. There really isnt any suggestions I could offer, its pretty simple. When you plug it in, you have to enter the code which I think is either 1-2-3-4 or 0-0-0-0. Let it sync and you will see the lights start going all crazy and thats pretty much it. You can use it to data log, check gauges and such, I only used it for diagnostic purposes. Hope this helps....
Old 03-25-2012, 11:39 PM
Posting Guru

Thanks Ryan. That does help. I am hoping to either set it up on a tablet or an old Android cell phone. I currently have 2 Android cell phones that I use for MP3 players around the house running off my wifi. I just put the phones in Airplane mode and then turn on the wifi. They work great for that and am sure that they would work great with Torque Pro.

Hoping to do a little more research on the Torque app and what can be programmed in for monitoring purposes. I did read on one forum that you can run up to 12 different monitor points at a time, but it is really slow at that point. I don't think that I would want that many, but the limitation is good to know.
Old 03-25-2012, 11:46 PM
Postmaster

william_04_x has a superb reputationwilliam_04_x has a superb reputationwilliam_04_x has a superb reputationwilliam_04_x has a superb reputationwilliam_04_x has a superb reputationwilliam_04_x has a superb reputationwilliam_04_x has a superb reputationwilliam_04_x has a superb reputationwilliam_04_x has a superb reputationwilliam_04_x has a superb reputationwilliam_04_x has a superb reputation
I put together some gauges on my tablet tonight. I wouldn't want to cram this much on a phone display. I'm curious to see how many pop up and display accurate info.

Click the image to open in full size.

There are some other really cool features in the paid version. One is the map view. It shows selected gauges over real time Google maps. Another is track recorder which shows selected gauges over images from your devices video camera and Google maps. Both have record features. Looks like fun.
Old 03-25-2012, 11:54 PM
Posting Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by william_04_x View Post
I put together some gauges on my tablet tonight. I wouldn't want to cram this much on a phone display. I'm curious to see how many pop up and display accurate info.

There are some other really cool features in the paid version. One is the map view. It shows selected gauges over real time Google maps. Another is track recorder which shows selected gauges over images from your devices video camera and Google maps. Both have record features. Looks like fun.
Looks like a instrument cluster in a plane. Ready for takeoff. That is awesome. I may have to set up the tablet instead of the cell phone. LOL. Thanks
Old 03-26-2012, 12:27 AM
Elder User

Wow... I just had mine on my Evo. If you have any hiccups, there is a wikipedia page that offers troubleshooting tips. Good Luck.
Old 03-26-2012, 07:41 AM
Posting Guru

tdappleman is a name known to alltdappleman is a name known to alltdappleman is a name known to alltdappleman is a name known to alltdappleman is a name known to alltdappleman is a name known to all
I've been thinking about doing something similar. I've got a code reader and a Snap On Solus Ultra at the shop but wanted something I could leave in the truck. Be a cheap way to monitor things on the tablet or the phone. Got mine on order - now to find a decent way to mount the tablet in the truck!
ASE Certified Technician www.coastalfastlube.com
Old 03-26-2012, 08:06 AM
Posting Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdappleman View Post
I've been thinking about doing something similar. I've got a code reader and a Snap On Solus Ultra at the shop but wanted something I could leave in the truck. Be a cheap way to monitor things on the tablet or the phone. Got mine on order - now to find a decent way to mount the tablet in the truck!
I love this idea, but a little narrower.

Old 03-26-2012, 05:06 PM
Elder User

AzPatMan has much to be proud ofAzPatMan has much to be proud ofAzPatMan has much to be proud ofAzPatMan has much to be proud ofAzPatMan has much to be proud ofAzPatMan has much to be proud ofAzPatMan has much to be proud ofAzPatMan has much to be proud ofAzPatMan has much to be proud ofAzPatMan has much to be proud of
William - Which app did you use with the Xoom?
Torque?
Old 03-26-2012, 05:06 PM