1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Advice? Installing flywheel and clutch behind 351W

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 06:37 PM
Tyler S
Elder User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dead in the water til Monday or Tuesday. Time for a beer.

Last edited by Tyler S; 03-24-2012 at 06:52 PM. Reason: added pic
Old 03-24-2012, 06:39 PM
Tyler S
Elder User

Originally Posted by Scndsin
New roller pilot bearing! New clutch arm pivot stud doesn't hurt.
Dave, I missed the pilot bearing advice. Thought that was part of the clutch. Now it's late Saturday afternoon and I can't get one til Monday or Tuesday...Looks like it's Beer:30

t

Old 03-25-2012, 12:51 AM
Scndsin
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 760 Likes on 542 Posts
A little bit of emory cloth tape, with some wd-40, or extra fine sand paper, or steel wool should clean up the hole fine. Make sure to wipe down flywheel afterwards with brake cleaner. Follow up with a dab of grease to ease installation, but not too much as it can heat up & spin out onto the flywheel face, causing clutch slip.

This is a pivot bolt for a T-5. Think fulcrum that the arm (lever) which actuates the clutch "rocks" back & forth on. I didn't see one in the picture of the inside of the bellhousing.

1979-04 Mustang Clutch Fork Pivot Stud, T5, T45, Tr3650 by Ford - Free Shipping at LatemodelRestoration.com

(On edit....)

MAN! Are you even OLD enough to drink beer?...

Old 03-25-2012, 01:54 AM
lorolr
Senior User
Tyler..Got to say I'm impressed how well you've grabbed onto this project. Great job! Bill

Old 03-25-2012, 09:12 AM
Tyler S
Elder User

Originally Posted by Scndsin
A little bit of emory cloth tape, with some wd-40, or extra fine sand paper, or steel wool should clean up the hole fine. Make sure to wipe down flywheel afterwards with brake cleaner. Follow up with a dab of grease to ease installation, but not too much as it can heat up & spin out onto the flywheel face, causing clutch slip.

This is a pivot bolt for a T-5. Think fulcrum that the arm (lever) which actuates the clutch "rocks" back & forth on. I didn't see one in the picture of the inside of the bellhousing.

1979-04 Mustang Clutch Fork Pivot Stud, T5, T45, Tr3650 by Ford - Free Shipping at LatemodelRestoration.com

(On edit....)

MAN! Are you even OLD enough to drink beer?...

Thanks for the info Dave. I'll get that pilot bearing hole and the bearing taken care of. My clutch has an internal hydraulic throw out bearing, so no fork or pivot arm. As for old enuf for beer, alas, yes. By about 2 1/2 decades. The pictures are of my son, not me. This truck is eventually going to be his and he is putting in quite a bit of work on it...and some of his buddies too.

t

Old 03-25-2012, 09:15 AM
Tyler S
Elder User

Originally Posted by lorolr
Tyler..Got to say I'm impressed how well you've grabbed onto this project. Great job! Bill
Thanks Bill! Got your message the other day. Yeah we need to get you over hear to check it out. And I mean that literally. To CHECK it out. Make sure I have not done anything glaringly stupid. I think it's ironic that I, as a pilot, didn't know I needed a pilot bearing You free this afternoon?

t

Old 03-25-2012, 09:56 AM
HOTWRENCH
Elder User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking Clutch and Flywheel

Where is the plate that goes between the block and the bellhousing? This is nessasary for proper alignment and starter spacing.

Good Luck-------- Hotwrench

Old 03-25-2012, 10:00 AM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Tyler S
Thanks Bill! Got your message the other day. Yeah we need to get you over hear to check it out. And I mean that literally. To CHECK it out. Make sure I have not done anything glaringly stupid. I think it's ironic that I, as a pilot, didn't know I needed a pilot bearing You free this afternoon?

t
LOL good one! Pilot "bearing". yeah you probably expected something like
......NORTH 45 degrees EAST.... I forgot you are a pilot!
Hang in there Ty! Looks like you are doin great! Great pics too! and the Corona on the frame...That is worth "framing" and hanging on the wall !

Old 03-25-2012, 10:03 AM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by HOTWRENCH
Where is the plate that goes between the block and the bellhousing? This is nessasary for proper alignment and starter spacing.

Yeah...good eye! We missed that one.

Old 03-25-2012, 10:14 AM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Another question/comment...I was looking at the pics. do I see washers on the flywheel bolts? I have never seen washers used on the flywheel bolts.
i am not sure about that one..I am not saying they can't be used, but never has any flywheel bolt, that I have had, ever had washers.
Somebody else verify that?

Old 03-25-2012, 10:51 AM
Tyler S
Elder User

Originally Posted by HOTWRENCH

Yep. You got me there! I've got the plate sitting in my parts pile. Forgot about that.

Question: Is the plate application-specific? It came off this engine, but my old tranny was an automatic w a flex plate rather than a fly wheel. Also I'm going to replace the starter with a new one. Do I need a new plate because of all that, or will my old one work regardless?

Thanks! Tyler

Old 03-25-2012, 10:58 AM
Tyler S
Elder User

Originally Posted by Jeff and Nicolle
LOL good one! Pilot "bearing". yeah you probably expected something like
......NORTH 45 degrees EAST.... I forgot you are a pilot!
Hang in there Ty! Looks like you are doin great! Great pics too! and the Corona on the frame...That is worth "framing" and hanging on the wall !
My wife read your post and said, "Yeah and by the way your pile of stuff in the garage is getting pretty out of control. Since you're a 'pilot' how about you move all that stuff and 'pile it' somewhere else?!"

T

Old 03-25-2012, 11:08 AM
Tyler S
Elder User

Originally Posted by Jeff and Nicolle
Another question/comment...I was looking at the pics. do I see washers on the flywheel bolts? I have never seen washers used on the flywheel bolts.
i am not sure about that one..I am not saying they can't be used, but never has any flywheel bolt, that I have had, ever had washers.
Somebody else verify that?
Jeff, the bolts came as a package of "flywheel bolts" and the washers were already on them. The washers are those "star" type washers rather than flat washers or split washers. So what do you all think. Washers good? Washers bad? T

Old 03-25-2012, 02:47 PM
lorolr
Senior User
I would say the star washers are fine. Locktight works too. Don't forget to torque them to spec. The guys at Merle's can probably answer your questions about starter/flywheel compatibility. Not sure if the starter needs shims to engage correctly.

Old 03-25-2012, 04:09 PM
old_dan
Fleet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Hi Tyler,
The star washers are probably OK, but I'd still put a drop ok locktite on each bolt. You may need to put that spacer plate in before you put the flywheel on!

Dan

Quick Reply: Advice? Installing flywheel and clutch behind 351W