1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replace solid rear window with slider?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 08:17 AM
smokewagun
Cargo Master
Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by cbzdel
Anyone know whats involved in doing this and what it costs? Are aftermarket windows any good, or should I say with factory?

If this something a typical weekend wrenches can do or should it be left to a pro?

I was on just ebay and found
windows from $200 to $600 just
with my first search. That is
quite a price range!
On a new model with the flush glass, it's expensive. If you have the rubber gasket type. They are cheap and easy to install. Are you looking for power sliding?

If you are remotely close to N. Illinois, I may have a factory standard slider in my barn for a cheap price to get rid of it.

Old 03-24-2012, 08:23 AM
smokewagun
Cargo Master
Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts
Glued in windows started in 2008 for sure.

To the OP, have you looked into the CR Lawrence power sliders? That's what I've done three different times, well before power sliders were available from the factory. Best mods I ever did, especially since they were all in crew cabs. Makes the slider very useful then.

Old 05-08-2012, 10:32 AM
cbzdel
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just wanted to give an FYI, I bought and installed this slider window over the weekend. It Took all of 10 seconds to remove the solid window, I pushed on the top corner and it popped right out. I then filled the new gasket channel with liquid dish soap and soaked a piece of braided mason line in a glass of water and then put it in the gasket channel. I figured the wet line would work well with the soapy gasket.. Then I set the window in place and my wife pulled the line from the inside, the whole process took at tops maybe a half hour. I did not have to remove any of the interior trim at all which was great!! I love the way the window looks, and it will be so much more useful that a solid window (at least for me).

I would post a picture but most of you know what a factory sliding rear window looks like haha

Old 05-08-2012, 10:49 AM
SuperDutyScaler
Lead Driver
Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
i HATE my sliding window, opened it one time and i had some wood chunks left in the bed from dropping my cousin off some fresh cherry logs, hit the highway and it all blew into my cab! Haven't opened it since, would love to buy a OEM sold glass thats tinted to match the factory black tint on the ext cab windows?

Old 05-08-2012, 11:15 AM
cbzdel
Elder User
I keep my bed clean for the most part because I had that happen to my several years ago but it was with fine cut mulch (in my area they call it beauty bark). But it flew into my eyes while on the freeway.. Much pain haha

Old 05-08-2012, 12:02 PM
acf6
Post Fiend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
yeah my slider sucks too, wish i could find someone to trade with me! its nearly impossible to open from the drivers seat because its so hard to slide. the one thing i do like about it was that i had some friends in the backseat yesterday and they opened it and i noticed my truck/exhaust sounded sweet

Old 05-08-2012, 12:11 PM
cbzdel
Elder User
OEM glass is pretty cheap in my opinion, to everyone debating the swap (to solid or slider), it is not hard at all as long as you have the rubber gasket type window..

Old 05-09-2012, 10:16 AM
SuperDutyScaler
Lead Driver
Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
acf6 thats the ONLY reason i like the slider window, you can hear the exhaust so good!
cbzdel it is easy to change with a gasket window but DOES Ford sell a factory tinted solid glass to match the factory ext cab windows? If so ill go buy one today from my dealer

Old 05-10-2012, 07:34 AM
RCKYMTN-PSD
Elder User
The oem sliders are much better quality than the aftermarket, so I recommend to stay with Carlite. I think the newer ones have better latches on them. If you have a newer one that is glued in, I wouldnt change that unless I had to, those are a pia to cut out and its easy to scratch the paint. better left to someone with experience.
You can just spray glass cleaner on your gasket and pinchweld instead of soap or wd40, a little easier and dries clean. Sprayway or Aquapel works best since it foams and lasts longer. Also nylon rope slides in the gasket, cotton rope can stick and tear the gasket.

Old 05-10-2012, 07:46 AM
RCKYMTN-PSD
Elder User
I throw regular flat windows in the dumpster, nobody ever wants those unless insurance is replacing them with a brand new one, everybody always wants a slider. Prices came down on the power sliders. I had a few flat windows six months ago but I cleaned house.

Old 05-10-2012, 09:09 AM
redford
Received 1,561 Likes on 909 Posts
Damn, I would have taken the flat windows. I hate the damn sliders.

Old 05-10-2012, 07:19 PM
RCKYMTN-PSD
Elder User
I'll hang on to future extras...

Old 05-11-2012, 10:17 AM
cbzdel
Elder User
Word of advice to anyone shopping for a FACTORY window. The word "tinted" does not mean what you think, "tinted" means clear glass with the UV tint, essentially this is just your standard glass. If you want the dark look, what anyone of us would call a tinted window, you want what Ford calls "one way glass"...

Old 05-11-2012, 08:29 PM
RCKYMTN-PSD
Elder User
or more commonly referred to as "privacy" - there is clear and tinted auto glass, the tint isnt very noticeable

Old 05-15-2012, 06:32 PM
Iron2
5th Wheeling
Removing Factory Slider

I am replacing my power slider with a solid glass this week to make room for amplifiers.

Quick Reply: Replace solid rear window with slider?