You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!
Maybe I've been obsessing over this little red truck too much lately, but I've not put TOO much money into her lately either.
After not really messing with her much over the winter, I decided one day to turn the idle mixture screws. That got her runnin' decent. This was after spending most of last year tinkering with trying to figure out why she wouldn't run. Replaced the fuel filters, new fuel pump (which it needed due to leaking diaphragm), took the carb off and replaced with one from my '82 F-150, adjusted the original carb's float, cleaned the crap out of it, put it back on the motor after after the '82's didn't do any better, replaced the rubber parts of the fuel line, and finally last fall removed the fuel tank and washed it out and got the "junk" out.
After I got the idle screws set, I had to replace the fuel pump again because it had a crack in it, leaking fuel. I got a new one as soon as I could because I remember one of my dad's friends car that caught fire. He was backing his restored '60's Camaro out of our driveway and it went up in flames as soon as he hit the street. He got out okay, but that nice car was toast. After everything cooled, they somehow determined that it was a fuel leak. I don't want that to happen to Annabelle.
A few weeks ago my wife and I took the stepside bed off. After we did this the tail lights were dangling by the extra long spliced wiring. I decided to take the splices out so I could mount the lights to the frame. After getting everything hooked up I found I had no stop lights. I traced every wire down and couldn't find no breaks. Everything was grounded, fuses good. Finally my brother suggested the switch. Sure enough it was bad. After reading through my shop manual, it said I needed to bleed the brakes. Only problem is that the master cylinder lid was rusted to the body. Got a reman master cylinder today at Advanced Auto Parts for $37 and a new switch at AutoZone for $6. When I got home I pulled the old parts and put on the new. Now the brake lights work! Now I just need some help bleeding the brakes and hopefully we can get on the road. Next projects will be getting the steering straighter and maybe some wood in the bed.
Well, if you've made it this far, thanks for reading. I'm just more than a little excited to get back in this truck.
As far as bleeding the brakes goes, if you have a jar and some tubing that will fit the bleeder valve, you can bleed them by yourself. That's how I bleed mine.
You open the bleeder valve on the farthest wheel from the master cylinder first, put the hose on the bleeder valve (make sure it fits tight) , then you put about an inch or two of brake fluid in the jar with the other end of the hose in the fluid in the jar.(I usually clothes pin the hose to the jar to keep it in the fluid)
Fill the master cylinder and go inside to begin pumping the brake pedal.. After your leg gets tired check the hose for air bubbles, if the hose is solid fluid, close the valve and move to the next wheel. Oh and when the jar begins to fill up pour the fluid back into the master cylinder. That's the beauty of bleeding the brakes like this... you don't lose any fluid on the ground; you can bleed the whole system with one can of fluid. It works I promise.
1958 Ford F-100. 351 W .030 over and Speed Pro flat top pistons, Comp Cams 224/226, World Windsor Sr. heads, Edelbrock Performer intake, Holley 750 carb, Roller rocker arms, Proform one-wire distributor, MSD 6-AL ignition.
Fast 58 is correct this method works well. If the fluid is old I would toss it and put new fluid in the system. Also make sure you don't run the master cylinder dry during the process. They sell a kit at Advanced to do this, it is cheap and has hose and fittings for many applications.
I haven't figured out how to post photos using my phone, yet. I have some in my gallery from a couple years back, when I first found this site.
I was able to get her stuck n the mud in the field tonight after dumping some wood chip bedding. Me and the wife really "enjoyed" getting it out. Finally bit-the-bullet and got the Dog@$ 4x4 Big Horn to pull it out. But still got to see the chase scene on Alcatraz that recreated the Steve McQueen chase scene in Bullet.
Got the fronts bleed on Saturday. Couldn't get the back ones because there is some sort of obstruction or the brake cylinders at the rear wheels are bad. I will check it out later. May have to get some new brake lines.
This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. FordŽ is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company.