A Pillar Gauge Pods

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 11:23 PM
turbohunter
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by devino246
(Thinking out loud here)

Cover my A pillar in release agent, cover in plaster to make a negative. Let dry. Cover negative in release agent, fill with plaster to make a positive of the pillar. Let dry. Build up plaster on the plaster A pillar. Let dry. Carve into desired shape. Cover in release agent. Cover in plaster. Let dry.

And there's the mold for the gauge pods
Just more thinking out loud.
When I worked for a boat building company we did the last step with fiberglass so that the final mold would be reusable.

Old 03-23-2012, 12:41 AM
PapaBearYuma
Cargo Master

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
I too saw the pods in the Summit catalog-loved the idea! I also hate the idea of mounting a tach to the column with a stainless band.

I would certainly go for a 3 hole pod-tach, vacuum (or voltage), and oil pressure. Maybe the tach would be bigger than the others...

Old 03-23-2012, 08:18 AM
devino246
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by turbohunter
When I worked for a boat building company we did the last step with fiberglass so that the final mold would be reusable.
I was actually just thinking that this morning Final mold will be reinforced 'glass then. If I got time this afternoon, I'll start on the first mold.

Old 03-23-2012, 10:54 AM
Fordworth
Laughing Gas
I'm definately interested, but I've said that before in other threads on the subject and no one has delivered yet. Please pardon my skepticism. Making them to fit different size gauges is a good idea. I personally have 2 1/16"ers.

Old 03-23-2012, 11:10 AM
77&79F250
Moderator & parts seller
Received 3,287 Likes on 2,443 Posts
As a gauge size suggestion so you are not making a bunch of different ones, make it just big enough to handle 2 1/2. And do not cut out the flat face part let the buyer cut it out for his gauge being 2 1/16 or 2 1/2 or 2.....

Old 03-23-2012, 11:12 AM
Ohiocrewcab
Senior User

I'd be willing to buy a 2 pod or even a 3. Last truck I had a friend kicked the under dash set off, cheap plastic brackets that I made

Old 03-23-2012, 11:20 AM
ChaseTruck754
Lead Driver
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I'd be in for a 3 gauge pillar depending on cost. I'm looking to fit 2 of the 2-1/6" size & 1 2-5/8" tach. So please make the things big enough for a 2-5/8", not just 2-1/2" if you can.

Now to add a bit onto what has been posted already....

Originally Posted by devino246
(Thinking out loud here)
Cover my A pillar in release agent, cover in plaster to make a negative. Let dry. Cover negative in release agent, fill with plaster to make a positive of the pillar. Let dry. Build up plaster on the plaster A pillar. Let dry. Carve into desired shape. Cover in release agent. Cover in plaster. Let dry.

And there's the mold for the gauge pods
Do some of the build up with an A / B, expanding foam. Even a can of the expanding foam from the HomoDepot might work for this. It's cheap, light & easy to form/shape.

I also agree with making the mold out of fiberglass. Make it HEAVY & reinforce it a bit with wood or metal if possible as you want something strong enough to pull multiple (I'd think 50 or so) parts off of!

When we did my fender molds we shot for getting at least 100 parts out of the mold before the molds started to deteriorate/deform.

Originally Posted by Fordworth
I'm definately interested, but I've said that before in other threads on the subject and no one has delivered yet. Please pardon my skepticism. Making them to fit different size gauges is a good idea. I personally have 2 1/16"ers.
x2. Lots of talk on this before & nothing has been done. Not trying to come off as an ****, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Old 03-23-2012, 11:22 AM
Fordworth
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by Ohiocrewcab
Last truck I had a friend kicked the under dash set off,
Sucks having to drive your drunk *** friends around.

Old 03-23-2012, 12:16 PM
turbohunter
Postmaster
Sucks having to drive your drunk *** friends around.

Just be glad the drunk *** friend wasn't driving.

Old 03-23-2012, 12:25 PM
turbohunter
Postmaster
Hey Devin one more thing.
Because of the round nature of the mold, your final cast will probably have to be split (cut off). So you will be making one part out of two pieces.
I imagine there might be a material that you could use so that you don't have to split the mold but laying it up then joining may prove to be easier.

Old 03-23-2012, 02:50 PM
devino246
Post Fiend
You have a right to be skeptical.

Originally Posted by ChaseTruck754
I'd be in for a 3 gauge pillar depending on cost. I'm looking to fit 2 of the 2-1/6" size & 1 2-5/8" tach. So please make the things big enough for a 2-5/8", not just 2-1/2" if you can.

Now to add a bit onto what has been posted already....

Do some of the build up with an A / B, expanding foam. Even a can of the expanding foam from the HomoDepot might work for this. It's cheap, light & easy to form/shape.

I also agree with making the mold out of fiberglass. Make it HEAVY & reinforce it a bit with wood or metal if possible as you want something strong enough to pull multiple (I'd think 50 or so) parts off of!

When we did my fender molds we shot for getting at least 100 parts out of the mold before the molds started to deteriorate/deform.

x2. Lots of talk on this before & nothing has been done. Not trying to come off as an ****, but I'll believe it when I see it.
Like I said, I'll make them so that different size holes can be cut to fit about any size gauge.

Expanding foam is a great idea.

Yeah, I'll make the mold heavy enough so that I get tired of using it before it gets tired of me.

Hey Devin one more thing.
Because of the round nature of the mold, your final cast will probably have to be split (cut off). So you will be making one part out of two pieces.
I imagine there might be a material that you could use so that you don't have to split the mold but laying it up then joining may prove to be easier.
I'm hoping that I can make everything in one piece, but we'll see.

Old 03-23-2012, 03:04 PM
bpatton74
Senior User
I would like one also, keep us posted with pics!!!

Old 03-23-2012, 03:36 PM
Blown 331
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I bought a kit from these guys to reproduce gas tank emblems for a Polaris 3-wheeler. Casting Resin and Silicone Mold Making Rubber Its amazing stuff. Read up and watch their vids. Sign up for the Hobby Lobby news letter. They offer 40% off all the time. I'm not really sure this would be the way to go about the gauge pod but I thought I'd throw it out there.

Old 03-23-2012, 03:38 PM
devino246
Post Fiend
Slapped some plaster on the A pillar in my truck. Turned out ok. Might be able to squeeze a single gauge pod out from it.

Old 03-23-2012, 06:48 PM
choptop49ford
More Turbo

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
come up with something that looks good and im infor an order!

Quick Reply: A Pillar Gauge Pods