1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

how to videos related to our trucks? Please read!

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 11:01 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
how to videos related to our trucks? Please read!

Most of you know me and my in depth posts on here. Rather than my continuing to answer the same questions over and over as new members come aboard, I am seriously considering making a series of videos, not only explaining, but also showing how to do it.
I'd like to make a few bucks off the effort to help support my old truck habit so I would like to gauge the interest level there might be for such videos.

There are two ways I could do this: First would be the direct sale route. Here I would make in depth videos of ~ an hour in length covering a specific topic, i.e. forming compound curve patch panels with simple tools or installing an aftermarket wiring harness. I could offer these on my facebook page for say 20.00 payable on paypal and I'd send you a copy of the video.
The second way would be to offer them for free on youtube, and if they got enough views youtube will add advertising promos to them and pay me a small stipend for each viewing. The downside to the free videos is youtube prefers you to do a number of short videos, 2-3 minutes in length each rather than 1 long one, and concentrating on topics that would appeal to a wider audience. That means that each could only cover a general topic and/or be divided into a number of parts. You would also have to be bombarded with ads.

If you think this is an idea you would support, please indicate which you would like to see come to fruition (not specific topics yet, just the preferred delivery method) If you'd like to offer suggestions as well, please feel free to do so.

Old 03-22-2012, 11:26 AM
acudanut
Cross-Country
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I like both ideas. Maybe youtube for the smaller projects, and sell videos for bigger ones. I think it would be worth it to buy videos of some, like how to wire a truck(which I still have to do).

Old 03-22-2012, 12:30 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 764 Likes on 374 Posts
I think both ideas have merit. This site usually answers most of my questions but youtube does give me some info. My concern with youtube is the reliability of the source. If someone I knew for sure was knowledgable had videos available, that would be great.

I wonder if this would be a profitable venture for you though. You would have to pick topics that are challenging for an average person like me with few tools, but not so difficult or tool intensive that I couldn't even try. You would also need to market it in such a way as to get people to buy them over free stuff on the internet.

Of course you could always dabble with it and make one or two brief videos and expand if it is working as you like.

Old 03-22-2012, 12:49 PM
fnzen
New User
IMO utube would be better

if you "sell" a video it would eventually show up there anyway with no revenue stream

Old 03-22-2012, 12:57 PM
Johns53f100
New User
I'm new here and I think it would be a great idea. It is much easier to understand a topic if you see a video rather than reading about it. I would be interested in watching topics such as installing ifs or help lowering my truck.

Old 03-22-2012, 02:35 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
I would be producing the videos in either case.
Would anyone post a stolen 1 hr video on youtube? Are there many 1 hr+ videos there? I think if someone posted a stolen video and they were notified of it they would take it down in a hurry.?.?

Unless I got in a truck someone wanted me to do the work on, I wouldn't be able to do any topics as major as installing IFS unless I decided to make those changes to my own truck. That is not likely to happen in the near future due to my post divorce financial position.
If anyone with the resources would want to hire me to do major work (suspension, body repair, customizing, engine swap, etc) on their truck I would discount the price to use it in a video.

Old 03-22-2012, 02:35 PM
seanmconroy
Senior User
thats a great idea. I made a series of videos last year to show all my friends and they loved them. Just for laughs and giggles though. It would be a great idea for you to do this. keep up the great work.

Old 03-22-2012, 04:41 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Pretty sure there is a 10-minute limit on YouTube.

A quick search there on "hammer and dolly" produced 361 hits; I'd guess there are ten times that many in related techniques. Ron Covell and other well-known metalworkers probably have the DVD market sewn up.

There are probably 10 veteran flathead guys, with nationally recognized names (some even internationally), who have committed their 40+ years of expertise to books selling for about $20. None of the books seem to be flying off the shelves. People are used to getting info free off the internet. Look how many on this forum are willing to pay for Supporter status, vs. those who don't....

Old 03-22-2012, 06:31 PM
Lakotas53
Laughing Gas
Ax to be honest I think ALBUQ is spot on. There are a lot of videos out there already on various subjects from 2 minute clips on you tube to hour long how to's by such people as Ron Covell, but I usually just pop on the Internet and search till I find what I am looking for at no charge. If you do this it will have to be an area or repair that is not widely covered by someone else, for it to be profitable. JMHO......

Old 03-22-2012, 06:54 PM
TWODOGS522001
Senior User
This is a great ideal! I would buy them from you. I am still trying to learn and videos are a great tool!

Old 03-22-2012, 06:58 PM
TWODOGS522001
Senior User
I'm still trying to decide on keeping my stock gearbox or use the Toyota conversion. If I use my stock one maybe you could do a video on you rebuilding it. Just a thought!

Old 03-22-2012, 06:58 PM
TWODOGS522001
Senior User
What is your facebook name?

Old 03-22-2012, 10:01 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Originally Posted by TWODOGS522001
What is your facebook name?
Currently I only have a personal facebook page, not a commercial one.

The way youtube works is you start putting up videos. If they consistently get a threshold # of viewings you can apply to become a youtube partner. If accepted youtube adds related advertising in/around your videos and pay you a stipend for each viewing, the size of which depends on the advertiser's rank.
The more viral your videos and the higher the rank of advertiser they will put on your video, and the higher the stipend. That's why you see so many "dumb ______ (add a noun here)", sexually suggestive, comedy, parody, and stupid pet trick videos. Some of these people have quit their treadmill jobs and are now doing yt videos as a full time occupation.

Old 03-22-2012, 10:46 PM
Tyler S
Elder User

I like it.

Old 03-22-2012, 11:25 PM
fixnair
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would buy a DVD but the u-tube idea does not appeal to me. I suffer from CRS and would have to view it several times during the coarse of any repair.

Good Idea

Quick Reply: how to videos related to our trucks? Please read!