6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Why are there good 6.0 engines and then bad

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 06:48 AM
armyman20057
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why are there good 6.0 engines and then bad

Besides the obvious how the vehicle is driven and maintained. why do so many people have problems with the 6.0 but then there are others like myself who have had next to none? Is there a vehicle year when more people have had problems with the 6.0 than other years? I catch a lot of negative comments about driving a 6.0L but in my experience it's been an amazing truck. Just curious if some of you guys who know tons about 6.0's will chime in and school me.

Old 03-22-2012, 11:21 AM
2006powerstroke90
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The bad ones were made on Friday afternoons

Old 03-22-2012, 03:10 PM
Headviking
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by 2006powerstroke90
The bad ones were made on Friday afternoons
I work at Ford Oakville Plant in Ontario Canada. There is no such vehicle as a "Friday or Monday" vehicles. Not to say that we don't work on Monday or Friday. At some point a component is assebled on any one of those days, but not a complete unit or even majority of the assembly of a complete unit could be called a "Friday or a Monday". Even if a vehicle could have a majority of it's assembly done on either of these days. What would be the chances of those people meeting up and talking about there "Friday/Monday" vehicles.
The assembly work done on vehicles has no bearing on the day of the week. All tools to assemble these units are electric smart tools, tied to an electronic monitor that keeps work done with these tools constant and deliberat. Any deviation is recorded and followed with the unit until it reaches it's repair station and a quality control display that has identified this unit as having an issue. It's repaired then and there. If not the issue will follow the unit until it tries to leave the plant. At that point, all unit must be scanned for any outstanding issues and will not leave the plant until all system pass this unit.
So there, no more " Friday/Monday" units.

I hope I got that right.

Old 03-22-2012, 03:23 PM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep

Flatlined. Yup, the joke's dead.

Old 03-22-2012, 03:33 PM
Rusty Axlerod
Lead Driver
Received 135 Likes on 79 Posts
Ah well... It had a long life....

Old 03-22-2012, 03:36 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Headviking
I work at Ford Oakville Plant in Ontario Canada. There is no such vehicle as a "Friday or Monday" vehicles. Not to say that we don't work on Monday or Friday. At some point a component is assebled on any one of those days, but not a complete unit or even majority of the assembly of a complete unit could be called a "Friday or a Monday". Even if a vehicle could have a majority of it's assembly done on either of these days. What would be the chances of those people meeting up and talking about there "Friday/Monday" vehicles.
The assembly work done on vehicles has no bearing on the day of the week. All tools to assemble these units are electric smart tools, tied to an electronic monitor that keeps work done with these tools constant and deliberat. Any deviation is recorded and followed with the unit until it reaches it's repair station and a quality control display that has identified this unit as having an issue. It's repaired then and there. If not the issue will follow the unit until it tries to leave the plant. At that point, all unit must be scanned for any outstanding issues and will not leave the plant until all system pass this unit.
So there, no more " Friday/Monday" units.

I hope I got that right.
I would love to take a walk through a plant some time and get a tour.

I remember touring the local Catepillar plant in high school and that was cool.

Old 03-22-2012, 07:04 PM
2006powerstroke90
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Just a joke. Thats now obviously dead.

Old 03-22-2012, 09:14 PM
Roasted7
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mass production. Assembly is one thing, but the actual making of the assembled components is entirely different.

A lot of the components, you'll notice, are made in Mexico and other countries. I mean the new Mustang trannies are made in China of all places.

Old 03-22-2012, 09:48 PM
jerem0621
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
To actually answer the OP's question..

I honestly think that most 6.0 owners are fairly happy with their trucks. There are hundreds of thousands, maybe millions of them on the road.

I see them driving on the road everyday. If they were "real world" that terrible they would all be in the scrap heap.

Honestly, the 6.0 wasn't ready for our high sulfur fuel and it jacked them up.

Lots of folks had coolant leaks with the EGR Cooler and thought they had head gasket failure, so they did $5000.00 in repairs to a perfectly good motor.

Another thing was the dirty High Sulfur Diesel that was available in 03. It played havoc on the injectors, and the Turbo and the emissions control systems. Plus people adding a bulldog and other type of tuners to make more power, it was just a perfect storm to wreck IH and Ford Trucks reputation with Diesel Motors.

Nevermind the crappy Radiator cap that Ford Put on the PSD, holding no pressure on the system and the coolant literally boiling under load, yup, more blown head gaskets.

never mind owners not getting the best available filters, or sticking to the maintenance schedule like the should.

I am not saying there are no issues with the 6.0, however there are several out there which have 200+k reliable miles on them.

Ironic that the avalanche of negativity was concentrated on this motor 6-7 years or so ago. I think that a lot of the fuel supply related failures has gone away with the arrival of the ULS Diesel fuel.

Ok, I'll probably get blasted for this, but I would buy a well maintained 6.0 in a heartbeat and then I will treat her right.

Thanks!

Old 03-23-2012, 12:05 AM
Snuggyworm
Postmaster
to add further, sometimes things happen. it just dies. why do chihuahuas die mysteriously? nobody knows. sometimes, things just happen.

my 2 cents. lol.

Old 04-02-2012, 06:31 PM
stinks the truck dog
Junior User
I work for myself in a HVAC/plumbing busines and last week I had five mondays.
Even the hvac world to many controls more to go wrong

Old 04-03-2012, 09:26 AM
pappy42
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd bet that 6.0s that were maintained according to the owner's manual and TSBs are the majority of the "good" ones. My personal truck is one of the good ones.

Old 04-03-2012, 09:48 AM
stinks the truck dog
Junior User
Mine was some what maintained and always a work truck not chipped or tuned and still has original head gaskets,egr ,oil cooler and just replaced the turbo. I know at 167,000 I am on barrowed time

Old 04-03-2012, 09:50 AM
Native Tex
Junior User
I bought my 05 King Ranch new. I have changed the oil every 5K religiously, serviced the tranny as required, changed the coolant, kept that K&N filter clean, fuel separator drained at every oil change, keep fuel filters changed, changed the pads, replaced the shocks, and replaced tires. The only major issues was the replacement of 3 injectors around 140K. It is all just upkeep and so far the truck has not let me down. I hear about oil coolers, head bolts, etc. and so far at 151K I just do not have those type of issues. I can only summarize and say that it is a mechanical machine and upkeep will keep it running; but you are still going to get failures.

Old 04-03-2012, 11:04 AM
da-bees
Senior User
Originally Posted by armyman20057
Besides the obvious how the vehicle is driven and maintained. why do so many people have problems with the 6.0 but then there are others like myself who have had next to none? Is there a vehicle year when more people have had problems with the 6.0 than other years? I catch a lot of negative comments about driving a 6.0L but in my experience it's been an amazing truck. Just curious if some of you guys who know tons about 6.0's will chime in and school me.
Asking that question here where most owners are very happy with thier 6.0 is similar to asking your happyly married neighbor "how many times does your husband beat you every week"? There are indeed some very educated members here that have addressed the "why some but not others"as well as a few actual and a bunch of hearsay issues. The answer along with a wealth of good to know info can be found useing the search feature. Many of us asked our self "what kind of p.o.s. have I spent $40k on"when first hearing about the supposedly unending break downs. The more you read and learn,the more you will come appreciate the 6.0. I guarantee it.
When someone asks me if I have had problems with my truck,I usualy tell them about stripping out my hfcm drain,defective tire and cam position sensor,then ask if they have had and trouble with thiers. Often they have had more problems with thier Cummins or Duramax than I have with my Power Stroke.

Quick Reply: Why are there good 6.0 engines and then bad