1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

E-350 SD XL Towing Help

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 02:49 AM
Remford
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E-350 SD XL Towing Help

I'm afraid I may have shot myself in the foot in ordering a new 2012 E-350 XL to use as a tow vehicle to ferry my Mustang to and from the track and various events while doubling as an all-around utility vehicle for home and work.

I'm replacing a Transit Connect which, despite being terrific in its own right, has no towing capacity. Because I also need enclosed work and carrying space, I wasn't able to move to an F-Series with an inherently-higher towing capacity.

Despite otherwise specing the van EXACTLY how I want, (including navigation), I'm afraid I may have chosen the engine poorly. Between the 5.4 L V8 and 6.8 L V10, I chose the 5.4 L with 4.10 LSA and a 7,200# towing capacity. The V10 would've given me 9,000# - and a 5-speed with tow/haul mode.

At the time, I envisioned an open 18-20' carrier that would've come-in nicely very close to 7,200 lbs. Since then, I've decided an enclosed carrier may better-suit my needs, but even the smallest and lightest aluminum 8.5' x 18' enclosed trailers will leave me much closer to 8,000. Sadly, the van has already has a VIN and is ready to roll down the Avon Lake line - so no changes are possible.

Given the relatively narrow gap between 7,200 and 9,000 lbs, I believe the only difference between the two are what the engines provide - plus some added engine braking in tow-haul mode. Unless I'm otherwise mistaken, tires, brakes and suspension components seem to be otherwise identical among them.

Unfortunately, the options I've chosen make it tough to dealer trade - and V10's as I'd prefer are just as hard to find. Making matters worse is that Ford will be dropping the phenomenal EcoBoost V6 into the new Transit-based full-sized vans in a year or so.

Can I possibly do anything to improve/increase the towing capacity?

Old 03-22-2012, 11:53 AM
blageurt
Fleet Mechanic
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Get a towing chip / tune and a better intake ....

Old 03-22-2012, 12:32 PM
Remford
Freshman User
Originally Posted by blageurt
Get a towing chip / tune and a better intake ....
Thanks much for the suggestions.

Can you make any specific recommendations? Do you know where it would leave me in terms of any additional liability?

Old 03-22-2012, 12:40 PM
PStruwing
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just an FYI I towed my Mustang in an a borrowed enclosed trailer with my 97 E-150 with 5.4. with zero issues. I tow my travel trailer which is 5500lbs dry plus family of 5 and gear with no issues as well. You should be good.

But I have added an extra spring in the back and I use weight distribution equipment on the trailers as well.

Old 03-22-2012, 12:43 PM
Remford
Freshman User
Originally Posted by PStruwing
Just an FYI I towed my Mustang in an a borrowed enclosed trailer with my 97 E-150 with 5.4. with zero issues. I tow my travel trailer which is 5500lbs dry plus family of 5 and gear with no issues as well. You should be good.

But I have added an extra spring in the back!
That's VERY reassuring. Could you possibly recommend the specific spring you added? I'm guessing I'd actually top-out somewhere in the 9,500 lb range - if I went fully off the reservation with an enclosed trailer.

Am I inviting any greater liability?

Thanks again!

Old 03-22-2012, 12:54 PM
PStruwing
Senior User
Talk to a trailer company and a spring shop about your combo. The spring in mine was installed by spring shop.

As for liability I would talk with your insurance co!

Old 03-22-2012, 02:40 PM
95e150CW
Elder User
The chassis/suspension of your E350 SD wont be the problem. It is MILES ahead of an E150, and I suspect it is not the limiting factor.

The 4.10 rear end is also a solid choice for towing, but you will suffer in unladen fuel mileage. If the van doesn't have the towing package, a large aftermarket transmission cooler will be a suitable upgrade. Other than that, the limiting factor is most likely the transmission. With the V8, they will give you the 4R75E. The transmission is solid, but it sure as hell isn't the 5r110W. With only 4 gears, and a fairly high final drive ratio, the engine and transmission will both be working harder to begin with.

I think you need to re-evaluate your configuration. Since the trigger has been pulled on the van, perhaps focus on your towed rig rather than your tow vehicle. My fully kitted out motorsports rig is a 22 foot enclosed haulmark with a 3500lb vehicle inside. 2 sets of tires, and a full tool chest (including a medium sized gas powered compressor/generator unit) are competently towed by my properly equipped and maintened 95 E150. It clocks in at just under 7000lbs.

Old 03-22-2012, 03:38 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
What will be the conditions you will be towing in? Terrain, speeds, type of road, length of haul will all be factors in your choice. On the highway weight is meaningless next to wind resistance on flat ground, but once you get to some serious hills the inverse is true. I've towed 10,000 lbs before with a 3v 5.4L and 4R75E before, and the truck did an okay job with the load. The vans come with a 2v engine though, but the majority of the power difference is higher in the RPM range.

The V10 would have been a MUCH better choice, mainly because of the transmission offered at lest as much as the two extra cylinders. But whats done is done and unless you are towing frequently at longer distances your 5.4L van should get the job done. Don't be afraid to let the engine sing at high RPMs for long periods of time, that's what it's designed to do and it should last you a long time. Make sure that you have adequate transmission cooling and monitoring of temperatures and drive to minimize excessive shifting.

I've towed light and heavy with pickup trucks as well as commercial tractor-trailers and still hold a CDL. I have been at 80,000 lbs many times with only 435 HP and the load was handled just fine. Take your time and enjoy that new van!

Old 03-22-2012, 03:54 PM
Remford
Freshman User
Thanks again for all the helpful suggestions and experience. I really regret NOT choosing the V10 - but I bought the V8 with an eye on trade-in once the new full-sized Transit-based vans become available - that will offer the V6 EcoBoost among other first-rate engines rather than the neutered 5.4 L which ironically my GT500 shares (albeit in Aluminum form).

My dealer was adamant that the V10 would be MUCH harder to sell and would depreciate MUCH faster in terms of trade-in - which I allowed it to cloud my own priorities to my own detriment. As a first-time tower, I'm just VERY cautious about wanting to do the safe thing. Hopefully I can find an enclosed model that will conform to those requirements with the 5.4L.

If not, I may just have to buy an open trailer for a couple of years and upgrade when I get a more capable tow vehicle. In retrospect, I perhaps should've even chosen a chassis cab instead and had it built-out. Meanwhile, I AM looking forward to the XL cargo van - as it has EVERYTHING imaginable, including a 225 AMP Alternator, Upfitter Switches, dual heavy duty batteries and everything else to make it a safe, competent and comfortable hauler.

Old 03-22-2012, 04:01 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Im sure the internet weight police will be coming for me soon, but I wouldn't hesitate to go as high as 9,000 lbs with that powertrain. You may be down on power but just take your time and you should be fine. And for the record I have a real tough time believing that a V10 would be harder to trade or sell. Myself, as well as most others who tow, are willing to pay a premium for the capacity. The fuel economy difference just isn't significant, especially considering the ancient 4-speed compared to he much more modern 5-speed on the V10.

There is no circumstance where I would prefer a 5.4L truck over a 6.8l V10 one. But, ya live and learn and the 5.4L is a great engine in its own right.

Old 03-22-2012, 05:17 PM
Bbasso
Elder User
just setup your van with the best you can offer, like trans cooler, oil cooler and a good set of guages. Along with a tune or three from Mike at 5Star.
The suspension on the E350s can handle a lot in stock trim. Just be sure your tires are E load, anything less could cause problems.
then take it easy, the 5.4 will do it but not nearly as easy or fast as the V10.

btw my van handles up to 10,000lbs.

Old 03-22-2012, 09:40 PM
Remford
Freshman User
Thanks again - even to the well-meaning internet weight police if they happen to rear their heads. Where I AM concerned is about the issue of liability - as it doesn't take a calamity to inadvertently expose one's self to HUGE liabilities.

I actually presume there to be quite a bit of headroom above the literal 7,200# in everyday situations as it has to be warranted and advertised for use in all sorts of extremes. Nevertheless, despite everything ELSE that makes sense doing, I'd feel BEST about SOMEBODY'S official seal of approval that says "good to go".

Of course, I own the final responsibility - and I ordered the van in my own haste at a time when much else was distracting me. Even so, and despite the great affinity I have for my particular dealer, I feel I was poorly served in that I was far more "yessed" to death than guided as to what would work best - especially given the volume and value of cars I buy from them demonstrating a few dollars certainly isn't an issue.

It's really sad how poorly-informed MOST dealers continue to be about MOST products they sell - with trucks taking the cake in terms of consumers often being FAR better-informed, which really sucks if the consumer happens to know very little to begin with.

I think I was steered toward the 5.4L because the dealer felt it was what I wanted to hear - and NOT what would suit me best. But shame on me, as there's NEVER been a previous vehicle in which I'd overlooked ANY option that I didn't later regret - so I SHOULD'VE known better.

I'm hopeful that by using the van's internal space to its fullest potential I can find an enclosed double-axle hauler with brakes that's both substantial and comes-in UNDER 3,500#. I'd be VERY grateful for any specific recommendations if anybody has one to make.

Thanks again to all.

Old 03-22-2012, 09:47 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by Remford
I can find an enclosed double-axle hauler with brakes that's both substantial and comes-in UNDER 3,500#. I'd be VERY grateful for any specific recommendations if anybody has one to make.
I think most anything 8.5x24 or smaller will fit the bill. My enclosed car hauler was an 8.5x24 ft V-nose with 5,200 lb axles. With 3/8" plywood walls and 3/4" plywood floor and 5,200 lb axles it weighed right around 3,500 lbs if I remember right.

This one was a 2008 model by Frontier Trailer which subsequently went out of business in the crappy economy. I bought it from Prowler Cargo | Cargo Trailers and paid about half what I could get one for around here.

Old 03-22-2012, 09:58 PM
Remford
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Crazy001
I think most anything 8.5x24 or smaller will fit the bill. My enclosed car hauler was an 8.5x24 ft V-nose with 5,200 lb axles. With 3/8" plywood walls and 3/4" plywood floor and 5,200 lb axles it weighed right around 3,500 lbs if I remember right.

This one was a 2008 model by Frontier Trailer which subsequently went out of business in the crappy economy. I bought it from Prowler Cargo | Cargo Trailers and paid about half what I could get one for around here.
If that's so, I may be all worked-up over very little. Thanks SO much!!!

Old 03-23-2012, 12:00 AM
Henry10s
Elder User
Your set up is really a middle-of-the-road / adequate for both situations -- towing and round-town. It won't shine in neither. It's a compromise. Since fuel cost seems to be a factor for you, a V10 would be worse than V8 for unladen travel. So, I don't think the dealer steered you wrong. I also don't think he was wrong with resale values. I have seen the same. But maybe I am in a different market from you.

Originally Posted by Remford
Thanks again - even to the well-meaning internet weight police if they happen to rear their heads. Where I AM concerned is about the issue of liability - as it doesn't take a calamity to inadvertently expose one's self to HUGE liabilities.

I actually presume there to be quite a bit of headroom above the literal 7,200# in everyday situations as it has to be warranted and advertised for use in all sorts of extremes.
You will be taking a calculated risk, risk nevertheless. You know your ability, your roads, your financial assets -- it's only for you to calculate it if it's worth the risk. Yet, that is only the selfish side of the equation. What troubles me -- how can you calculate the harm to someone else if God forbid, you do cause harm? Maybe I am taking these things too seriously these days. That's what happens if your wife is a court attorney.

Hence I agree with the following:

Originally Posted by 95e150CW
The chassis/suspension of your E350 SD wont be the problem. It is MILES ahead of an E150, and I suspect it is not the limiting factor.

The 4.10 rear end is also a solid choice for towing, but you will suffer in unladen fuel mileage. If the van doesn't have the towing package, a large aftermarket transmission cooler will be a suitable upgrade. Other than that, the limiting factor is most likely the transmission. With the V8, they will give you the 4R75E. The transmission is solid, but it sure as hell isn't the 5r110W. With only 4 gears, and a fairly high final drive ratio, the engine and transmission will both be working harder to begin with.

I think you need to re-evaluate your configuration. Since the trigger has been pulled on the van, perhaps focus on your towed rig rather than your tow vehicle.

Quick Reply: E-350 SD XL Towing Help