1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

Out looking for parts and found a complete 72 250 xlt Lariat

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 07:33 PM
MrRed
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Out looking for parts and found a complete 72 250 xlt Lariat

I was just out today looking for a few things at the local wrecking yards for my '81 and came across a new arrival that I was very drawn to but have no idea of the value / desire etc.

Was hoping some of you could let me know what to look for when I go back out tomorrow...what a decent price would be if I were to offer to buy the whole truck and anything else that may help me decide to make an offer or pass it up.

Here is what I know so far...wish I had the camera with me but I may go out tomorrow and take some photos and get VIN etc.

It is a two tone (white and blue) 1972 F 250 XLT Lariat....it has a 390 motor (he thinks).
It looks like it is close to if not 100% complete and only a little surface rust that I noticed...I will inspect better tomorrow.
I remember seeing a very large rear bumper which may not be stock but have no idea.
There is woodgrain on the side mouldings and the tail gate.
Interior looks very good with a cloth seat that is decent but a couple tears down the seams.
The wheels to me don't look stock since I am used to seeing hubcaps but they are slotted with maybe a dull aluminum look to them (could those be stock for that year?).
Guy there said he got it to turn over but didn't spend much time on it since it was going to be parted out.

So even though I wasn't really looking for a project this truck just screamed "fix me please" and I would hate to see it get scrapped out.

I live up in the Pacific Northwest and really don't know what the value is on these at all..I am trying to research the best I can but there's not a lot for sale (just like my 1981 I was trying to value).

Any input on a good price..what to look for or what to look out for would be greatly appreciated (especially if there is anything highly desirable to look out for since I will need to sell this to the wife first...lol).

Thank you.

p.s. It may look worse tomorrow when I go back...it could have been just the first day of sun around here making me think this truck was such a beauty...lol

Old 03-21-2012, 08:13 PM
MrRed
Freshman User
Found this picture on another thread...this is what I remember the wheels looking like. If so would these be stock on a '72 F250?

Old 03-21-2012, 09:56 PM
CornTruckDriver
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by MrRed
Found this picture on another thread...this is what I remember the wheels looking like. If so would these be stock on a '72 F250?
Those wheels dont look right to me. I to remember hubcaps that most around here removed.Wheels like that first came out around that time. With cars around 1970 guys used cragar or keystone mags or the old mickey thompson radar wheels. Then came ansen sprint wheels that looked just about like that. They got real popular real fast. I almost forgot the looks of the slots. I graduated HS in 72 and you wouldnt belive what was in our parking lot. SS396 ss454 GTOs 442s Z28s and F250s ofcourse. You never saw f350s then and a 250 felt like it had no suspension.

Old 03-22-2012, 04:10 AM
jowilker
Fleet Owner

Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts
The wheel in the photo is aftermarket. The engine in the truck could be a 390, more likely a 360. Can not be verified visually, must have the stroke measured. The 360 stroke is 3.5in & the 390 is about 1/4in longer (from memory 3.78)

$1000-1500.00 would be a good buy.

John

Old 03-22-2012, 09:56 AM
MIKES 68 F100
Logistics Pro
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
have the same on my 68 , they are either US mags or American racing both companies made them . I have heard them called "kidneys" or "slots"
I think they look great on these old trucks .

Old 03-22-2012, 08:34 PM
MrRed
Freshman User
Ok..so I just went back to look at the truck again...here is the info and the photos on the truck I am looking at.

It did look a little dirtier than I remembered but it also looks very straight in all areas...I think it would clean up real nice as it is but with a paint job and some scrubbing this thing would be a really nice old truck.
I couldn't even find a ding in the body or bed (inside of bed was filled with debris though and I did see some rust color water).

Here is the breakdown of the VIN: F25HRN87967
F25 = F250
H = 390 (Motor)
R = Built in San Jose, CA
N87,967 = Built in March of '72

So any input on what this thing would be worth cleaned up..running etc. would be great.
I know I can buy it now for around $1k...but would still need to get the motor work done...and of course the cleanup of everything would take more time than money but I am really liking this truck and am hoping it could be a profitable and 'fun" project for me and the wife.

Thoughts?

Also...I have browsed a few threads regarding stock or after market A/C...is this a big deal on these and if so...does this look like it's factory?

And how about the big bumper in back? Factory or added?

Old 03-22-2012, 11:59 PM
19704X4F250
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks like it went from Gpa's barn to the yard! Yes, grab it before some one else does! 1k is a good price for a Ranger XLT in that shape. Don't know about the A/C but the bumper was added.

Old 03-23-2012, 01:47 AM
MrRed
Freshman User
So not knowing if the motor is completely shot or not what sort of money would I be looking at to rebuild this motor?

I do have a mechanic friend / neighbor who has all the tools and "know how" but he can't remember how much he had into his last 390 rebuild since it has been 20 or so years.

I know you can't be precise but just a ballpark figure would do for now...and if I had say $3k into this truck when I was all said and done and it ran great and looked great would I be in the hole or actually turn a profit (if I needed to)?

Also I did a VIN search (one of the paid ones) and it only shows one Title entry...now the one Ebay uses for their listing shows a title entry for each owner so I am now wondering if this was a one owner truck.
I may even call the person listed on the old registration and ask questions tomorrow, guess that's one benefit of living in a small town

Old 03-23-2012, 01:52 AM
jdbanks
Elder User
BUY IT! That's a nice looking truck. I'd get it running and drive it like that with a big smile!

Old 03-23-2012, 04:42 AM
jowilker
Fleet Owner

I'll bet you a happy meal at MickeyDs that everything in the old truck works. The AC may need charging & could have some leaks. The compressor is a York & runs on R12. I would swap everything under the hood to the new juice with a new round compressor.

That truck was a special order used for toting a camper most likely, look at the mirrors. The ol PO gent took good care of it, he is likely passed, & the widow couldn't drive it so it got parked outside.

The bumper is aftermarket that could have been installed by the dealer, doesn't seem to have much of a hitch, lending more to the camper toting.

I would baby start the engine unless it has run in the last year. Disconnect the fuel line going to the fuel pump, the gas tanks will need to be drained & cleaned out. Put a kit in the carb, change the oil & filter, pull all the spark plugs & turn the engine over until the oil pressure has been up for a while. Put in new plugs, a gallon jug (antifreeze works good) with gas in it, wedge it in on the fender & hook it up to the pump. Put a drink in the carb & give it a turn. I bet it will purr like a kitten.

If you want this truck get the hello back there with cash & purchase it. It will not sit there long.

Got more questions fire em up.

John

Old 03-23-2012, 05:56 AM
MrRed
Freshman User
Thank you for the pointers John...I am going to see if I can't come up with a way to get this (really bad timing but isn't it always these days...lol).

I would like to find out where to look at pricing for rebuild kits though...I am going to try and figure out a budget etc. and really have no starting point other than the truck itself. I may get the motor going but doubt it...the yard worker said he thinks it's toast and could only get it to turn over (no idea on how hard or what he tried) but I would think they would want to sell it as a runner if the motor was good.

My wife will probably kill me when I ask her about really getting this since I have already bought an '81 that I planned on fixing up but haven't (well it doesn't need that much so it's not as fun...lol) That truck is actually being torn into a bit right now which caused me to make the trip to the wrecking yard in the first place

So does anyone know of some websites for me to look at rebuild kits for a 390? or since I am on a tight budget...which ones to avoid if any?

I am also kind of scared to go try and start the truck at the yard but I really want to...if it starts then I will really want to buy it BUT they will also not want to go any lower on the price and may even change their mind....guess I need a game plan for this one...lol

Old 03-23-2012, 06:39 AM
74 F350 SCS
Elder User
I've owned bumps and dents. This XLT looks pretty stock. I'd buy it for $1K because even if you don't end up restoring it and worse comes to worse, you can definitely part it out for many times over the $1K. Good luck!

Old 03-23-2012, 08:19 AM
tmcalavy
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ditto...times 3. I'd find $1K somewhere, or dicker 'em down to $800 cash, and go back with a chain, my truck and bud to steer the bump and drag it home. If you do nothing else to it, you can sell it locally for at least $1500 as a rolling project...more than that if you're patient and part it out to Bump guys over time.
Oh yeah...if the yard monkey is 35 or younger, he probably doesn't know how to start a truck this old. I'd go back, pull the plugs and put a breaker bar and socket on the crank pulley and see if it turns. If it turns freely and you don't hear any obvious Oh ***** noises from turning by hand, I bet all it needs is a basic freshening to run again...tune up, fluids, carb rebuild (maybe), fuel pump (maybe), etc.
Even if the motor is toast, you could replace it for less than $600 with another that runs...I got a running 360 for my 69 F250 for $400, pulled and put in my truck bed...just by watching the local yards and Craigslist.
If your situation just doesn't allow you to get it...help find it a good home...that's too nice to go to the crusher.

Old 03-23-2012, 09:04 AM
MIKES 68 F100
Logistics Pro
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
$1k for me too , i would bet my left ... that you can drop a battery in ,sand points and fresh gas and get her running .
a nice color combo too !

Old 03-23-2012, 04:44 PM
jowilker
Fleet Owner

Originally Posted by MrRed
Thank you for the pointers John...I am going to see if I can't come up with a way to get this (really bad timing but isn't it always these days...lol).

I would like to find out where to look at pricing for rebuild kits though...I am going to try and figure out a budget etc. and really have no starting point other than the truck itself. I may get the motor going but doubt it...the yard worker said he thinks it's toast and could only get it to turn over (no idea on how hard or what he tried) but I would think they would want to sell it as a runner if the motor was good.

My wife will probably kill me when I ask her about really getting this since I have already bought an '81 that I planned on fixing up but haven't (well it doesn't need that much so it's not as fun...lol) That truck is actually being torn into a bit right now which caused me to make the trip to the wrecking yard in the first place

So does anyone know of some websites for me to look at rebuild kits for a 390? or since I am on a tight budget...which ones to avoid if any?

I am also kind of scared to go try and start the truck at the yard but I really want to...if it starts then I will really want to buy it BUT they will also not want to go any lower on the price and may even change their mind....guess I need a game plan for this one...lol
Don't sweat what the yard worker said. I have seen enough ol project trucks to know that aint blown up. Do what I suggested maybe with new wires & I'll bet ya that ol truck will come alive. I will also bet ya that it won't crank as is.

Don't go pumping either in it, do it correctly & bring it back to life again. Drive it for years to come, or maybe walk away since you already have one project not moving. I want to see you live long enough to play with your grand children.

John

Quick Reply: Out looking for parts and found a complete 72 250 xlt Lariat