6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

6.0 WOW SUMS IT Up

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 02:45 PM
Sunburned30
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6.0 WOW SUMS IT Up

Hello all
Let me start by saying this, I respect and learn from all of you. I have never read so much knowledgable information on a topic that fascinates me so. Once again thank you mechanics and those with useful info.
Now here's my question.
I own a 2005 F250 xlt 6.0 4by4. I love this truck and try my best to maintain it to the best of my ability. But every so often I'm dishing out a grand here or worried about this or worried about that breaking next. And all I read on here is major repair questions on vehicles that are not even 10 years old by owners who know how to fix n maintain there own trucks. Why are we keeping these?

Old 03-21-2012, 02:56 PM
Flyinstroke
Elder User
I cant speak for everyone but in my case the repair costs are much cheaper than a new truck note and all that goes with it.

Old 03-21-2012, 02:57 PM
zhilton
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That's a loaded question...if your like me, I wanted something that will pull the camper and carry the family down the road. Being able to stay with traffic is nice...I'm not the road hazard. With that line of thinking I was looking for a 3/4 ton with a diesel engine. Yes, the 6.0L is expensive to maintain...but if it's got PowerStroke in the name, the parts get expensive quick no matter the model engine. Keep in mind these are work trucks with fancy interiors...they're designed to carry/pull allot of weight (20k pound GCWV)...thus they're engineered with heavy duty parts. Yes, I just dropped $1300 into my truck in the last week (parts only, I spin my own wrenches)...but it's taking care of issues before they leave me on the side of the road. As much as I hate to say it...it's part of owning a truck that makes more power than most '80s vintage Class 8 trucks.

Old 03-21-2012, 03:07 PM
Sunburned30
New User
Thanks for the replys
I know what diesels are made for. I use accordingly and maintain my vehicle. Just kind of ment the 6.0 in general. Just seems to me like much more high calliber repairs a hell of a lot soon then other like size diesels. Font get me wrong knock on wood my truck compared to other 6.0's has been great. Sorry facing possible EGR repair so I'm a little angry at the moment.

Old 03-21-2012, 03:19 PM
mohle
More Turbo
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have 375,000 km on my 06 now. Sure I've spent some money on it, but then I look at the $84,000 CDN MSRP for a new King Ranch and almost fall to the floor. I probably spend $2000.00 per year in parts - I do my own wrenching. I would spend that in two months of payments, plus mine still looks great.

Old 03-21-2012, 03:33 PM
Sunburned30
New User
Yeah think that's my problem. My wrenching abilities are limited at the moment. Starting a 2 year diesel repair class in a few months. After completion you probably won't here my complaining lol just frustrating giving ford more money. like said I'm sure I have a change of heart once I can troubleshoot and repair my own truck. First diesel 93,000 miles nothing major yet but got a bad feeling EGR is coming. And I don't know how to check/clean myself. Like I wrote in other post about the sluggishness when cold. Havnt had time to take back to Ford for there final evaluation

Old 03-21-2012, 04:53 PM
Ian123
Posting Guru
Because it's an adrenaline rush every time I turn the key on whether it will start or not lol.

But on a serious note, mine has been good so far so I guess its just a matter of pushing my luck to see how long it can last. I will admit though, if I had the problems I read some people having, my truck would have been gone a long time ago.

Old 03-21-2012, 05:23 PM
Sunburned30
New User
Ian123. Thanks for that . Damn that was funny. Yes thats exactly how I feel. She's been good but the things I hear and read have me paranoid lol But at the same token it must be fate. My truck was stolen and police found 5 days later no real damage other then door lock and ignition. And still had the $100 in fuel I just out in it. They did like 20 miles and dumped it. Fate or a warning. Not sure lol

Old 03-21-2012, 06:30 PM
Super Duty Daddy
Mountain Pass
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Ive noticed that alot of folks do alot of power upgrades w/various aftermarket items. I don't want to guess or assume how many people actually need more power or if they just want it because thats what they want. I know the aftermarket upgrades that I have made to my corvette weren't made because Im easy on the gas or the car! I wonder how much of a factor those decisions play into some of the problems I read about on here or neglecting routine maint. comes into play. Don't get me wrong, I know the 6.0 has a bad rep. but, I hear of plenty of people with great 6.0s . Forums like this is where people come with their problems and get alot of great advice from alot of great folks. Maybe we should start another section on FTE that your only allowed to say good things about your 6.0! Don't get discouraged by problems w/your 6.0, its a chance to learn and justify buying more tools to the wife. Best of luck with your future diesel classes and it wont be long before your helping folks out on here with your knowledge!

Old 03-21-2012, 06:47 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts
well if your worried about your EGR Cooler get some gauges and check the ECT vs EOT spread basicaly your checking the oil cooler BUT Oil cooler pluging is the Main reason and egr cooler Blows out

Old 03-21-2012, 06:50 PM
Sunburned30
New User
Lol thanks super duty daddy

Old 03-21-2012, 07:21 PM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Sunburned30
got a bad feeling EGR is coming. And I don't know how to check/clean myself.
If you want step-by-step diagnostics and repair instructions, Motorcraft sells online access to the shop manuals for $10 for 72 hours (you can print out every step and have it with you) and it literally holds your hand through every bolt, wire, and torque spec for the whole project. If you can build a Lego kit, you can fix almost anything on a 6.0L, especially once you throw in the collective intelligence of this place to point you to the right problem.

http://www.motorcraftservice.com/vdi...d=&kevin=rules

Old 03-21-2012, 07:52 PM
Sunburned30
New User
Thanks Texastech
I will that's exactly what I need. A kinda fool proof easy to read easy to follow.

Old 03-21-2012, 08:59 PM
Curt's05
Wiser by FTE

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts
Sunburned30, nobody makes a diesel suv like my 05 excursion!
Super Duty Daddy, i did the bullet proofing before any power adder!
These engines are super complicated, making some of them finicky!

Old 03-21-2012, 09:39 PM
mohle
More Turbo
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Sunburned30
Yeah think that's my problem. My wrenching abilities are limited at the moment. Starting a 2 year diesel repair class in a few months. After completion you probably won't here my complaining lol just frustrating giving ford more money. like said I'm sure I have a change of heart once I can troubleshoot and repair my own truck. First diesel 93,000 miles nothing major yet but got a bad feeling EGR is coming. And I don't know how to check/clean myself. Like I wrote in other post about the sluggishness when cold. Havnt had time to take back to Ford for there final evaluation
Awesome that you are taking some training. Biggest thing I find is that people are fearful of trying to fix their truck. You just have to overcome that. The instructions on how to fix or diagnose a problem are all here, just a matter of having the ***** to do it.

Quick Reply: 6.0 WOW SUMS IT Up