Oklahoma Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:

Wanna Share Your Local Restaurant Reviews?....

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 11:31 PM
flip4eva83
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
And I cant forget to mention Meers burgers in Meers, Oklahoma down just north of Lawton.

Old 04-19-2012, 08:05 AM
cigarxtc
Postmaster
thanks flip. happy belated bday to you as well. I cant wait to try Ingrids; i love authentic german food.

Old 05-11-2012, 08:35 AM
cigarxtc
Postmaster
El Montereys, Owasso

My wife and i had lunch at El Monterey's tex-mex cafe in Owasso a couple days ago. The place was clean, menu plentiful, prices reasonable, and the food was pretty good. The waitress must have been new and kinda slow but otherwise it was a nice lunch.

Old 05-11-2012, 09:50 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Somehow I've missed this thread. But, Bruno is right about the BBQ in Skiatook being Mac's. We love it. Just stopped at its sister place, Daylite Donuts, and the woodsmoke made us realize that we've not been to Mac's for a while. And, in case you are wondering, DD is Mac's "sister" in that they share a building, split down the middle, and parking lot. DD is open in the mornings and Mac's in the afternoon. Efficient!

Old 05-11-2012, 10:44 AM
cigarxtc
Postmaster
Hey Gary, have you tried Ron's Hamburgers in Skiatook? I've driven by it for the last umpteen years and have almost pulled in there a couple times but still haven't tried it. Don't know what's keeping me from stopping there.

Old 05-11-2012, 10:54 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Originally Posted by cigarxtc
Hey Gary, have you tried Ron's Hamburgers in Skiatook? I've driven by it for the last umpteen years and have almost pulled in there a couple times but still haven't tried it. Don't know what's keeping me from stopping there.
The name is probably putting you off. Yes, we've tried it and like it. But, a full order of fries feeds several. Janey and I order a half-order and it is plenty. It is a local chain, by the way, as we've seen others around like the one in Jenks.

And, while Chris didn't really like our new Mexican restaurant, we do. It is Tomatos Caliente, if I have that right, and is in "downtown" Skiatook. We like it a lot more than Senor Salsa, which is bigger and better known.

Old 05-11-2012, 11:23 AM
MikeB 88
Fleet Mechanic
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If the Ron's in Skiatook is like the one in Owasso, I'd rather go somewhere else.

Old 05-11-2012, 01:28 PM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
One advantage to having Mexicans as the dominant ethnic nationality here in Denver is, we have some decent Mexican food. Maybe I'm just spoiled?

I remember in my early 20s being in NYC and ordering a burrito, it was awful. Should have ordered pizza of a Philly cheesesteak sandwich or something native to the area.

Old 05-11-2012, 01:41 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Originally Posted by ctubutis
One advantage to having Mexicans as the dominant ethnic nationality here in Denver is, we have some decent Mexican food. Maybe I'm just spoiled?

I remember in my early 20s being in NYC and ordering a burrito, it was awful. Should have ordered pizza of a Philly cheesesteak sandwich or something native to the area.
Wait - a Philly cheese steak in NYC!?!? Native to the area? NOT! Used to live 45 miles out of Philly. Been To Reading Terminal Market in downtown Philly several times and had the original Philly cheesesteak at Rick's. And, I've tried cheesesteaks in many other locales - no comparison.

Old 05-11-2012, 01:45 PM
67gt351
Post Fiend

Howdy Gary, live in South Philly for 40 years, around Passyunk Avenue, ever her Pat's Steaks or Gino's, there great too!

Old 05-11-2012, 01:57 PM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by Gary Lewis
Wait - a Philly cheese steak in NYC!?!? Native to the area?
*sigh* OK, maybe I should say region. Kinda like finding good seafood in Ohio.

Point being, Mexican food in NYC 25 years ago (at least what I had) was insulting to the palate.

BTW I've been to the two places across the street from each other in Philly, it's close enough to NYC to qualify in my mind.

Old 05-11-2012, 02:14 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Originally Posted by 67gt351
Howdy Gary, live in South Philly for 40 years, around Passyunk Avenue, ever her Pat's Steaks or Gino's, there great too!
Howdy! We were in Kennett Square. IIRC, Pat was the father or grandfather of Rick. There's a debate as to whether it was Pat or Gino that came up with the original cheese steak.

Originally Posted by ctubutis
*sigh* OK, maybe I should say region. Kinda like finding good seafood in Ohio.

Point being, Mexican food in NYC 25 years ago (at least what I had) was insulting to the palate.

BTW I've been to the two places across the street from each other in Philly, it's close enough to NYC to qualify in my mind.
Probably Pat's and Gino's. And, while they are in the same region, it is ~2 hours of driving from NYC to Philly.

Old 05-11-2012, 04:15 PM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I have a review to add.
Burnco BBQ on 11th, just west of Harvard (across the street from the "new" basketball arena at TU).
Hours aren't that great for those who want BBQ for dinner, as they are open mainly during the lunch period. The food is fantastic. Everything is cooked on a Hasty-Bake grill out back.

I do need to add a disclaimer. I know the owners personally, but that does not sway my opinion of the food's flavor or quality. The first time I ever ate any of his BBQ, I told him he should open a restaurant, as did nearly everyone I know.....

Old 05-11-2012, 07:42 PM
67gt351
Post Fiend

Originally Posted by Gary Lewis
Howdy! We were in Kennett Square. IIRC, Pat was the father or grandfather of Rick. There's a debate as to whether it was Pat or Gino that came up with the original cheese steak.

Probably Pat's and Gino's. And, while they are in the same region, it is ~2 hours of driving from NYC to Philly.
Howdy Gary, that is interesting, I heard of the place out near West Chester, but never put the two together ! Thanks !

Ctu, that would be Pat's and Gino's, they were cross from each other !

Old 05-11-2012, 10:19 PM
bruno2
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The Ron's in Owasso used to be good. The one at 71st and Mingo in Tulsa is horrible and always has been since it opened.The one in Broken Arrow sucks as well. I havent had Skiatook's yet. Jenks has one that is very good. Glenpools is alright. Bixby's is hit and miss.

The original Ron's was at 15th and Harvard for several yrs. It was a small burger stand that just had a bar and a couple of two seat tables. The lunch line would be wrapped around the parking lot. To go orders went out like it was going out of style. Ron himself used to run it and cook. His staff was all family.He cooked at the Darby Lane Cafe right across from the courthouse in downtown Tulsa in the mornings for breakfast. The breakfast was excellent. Then before lunch he would head down to the burger stand. The place was so popular that he decided to close his and sale franchises. They make pretty good chili there also. I would like to think the bad ones cant screw that up too. None of the franchises IMO have ever measured up to the original. I suppose he was the one that came with all the recipes and techniques for cooking his products so really nobody else would care enough or have the experience to replicate.

Quick Reply: Wanna Share Your Local Restaurant Reviews?....