1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

1951 F4 (S)

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 11:21 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by raytasch
I don't know, perhaps the truck was ordered "light duty" without the auxiliary springs but I've not seen one. Anyone seen an F-4 WO overloads? I've seen them torched off.
According to the Shop Manual specs, the F4 came standard with 10 leaves in the rear springs, but had optional configurations with both 7 and 12 leaves for the rear. The standard capacity is 3600 pounds, the 7 leaves is 1700 pounds and the 12 leaves is 4300 pounds.

So I just looked at my "stock" F4. It has 10 leaves on the bottom, and 6 on the top, which doesn't match any description in the book. It has a GVWR of 10,000 pounds.

Old 08-03-2012, 09:15 AM
Berthoud51
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sediment Bowl Questions

A question for the field. Can anyone tell me if it is normal to have two sediment bowls in series? In preparation for rebuilding the fuel pump I noticed an additional sediment bowl attached to the bowl on my fuel pump. Additional questions:
Is it necessary?
Is it taxing the system, and does it matter if I remove it all together?

Thoughts are much appreciated.

Old 08-03-2012, 09:20 AM
Berthoud51
Freshman User
Additionally, I installed an inline filter ~6" off down stream from the fuel tank. I'm hoping the filter will help protect the carb and pump until I can have the tank cleaned out (there is a lifetime supply of sediment in the tank )

Old 08-03-2012, 10:03 AM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
Originally Posted by Berthoud51
Additionally, I installed an inline filter ~6" off down stream from the fuel tank. I'm hoping the filter will help protect the carb and pump until I can have the tank cleaned out (there is a lifetime supply of sediment in the tank )
The only problem I can visualize is that of a dry prime. Say you run out of gas and rely on the engine pump to create the vacuum to pull fuel from the tank, you'll have slightly more air volume to overcome.
That said, I run an inline filter just off each of my tanks and the fuel pump has a canister type filter built into the input side. Dual filters have not been a problem so far but I try not to let either tank run out of gas. Yep, I have a little different system but they work the same.
And Personally, I don't like inline filters between the pump and near the carburetor. Possibly just my theory, but I want the fuel to get into the carb as quickly as possible and staying cool as possible thus reducing the vapor lock chance.

Old 08-04-2012, 12:56 AM
Berthoud51
Freshman User
Check Mate

Many thanks to your posts on the springs. It's obvious that I'm missing the overload springs necessary to carry heavier load for the dumper as I recall one day heading back from the dairy with 2 tons of crap (technical term around here...) where she was swaying to and fro on our country road as I made my way home. That said, I cannot complain about the old girl. She hauled that load of turds with nary a complaint. In the end she's hired for the job at hand.
I must say, replacing the M/T tires has improved her mpg. She will run closer to 60 mph without complaint now that I've reduced the frictional coefiecient.

I've been removed from the group due to life and obligations, but hope to begin again the thread. Admittedly, I'll never be as detailed as my friend Jolly Roger, but hope to be able to post more frequently going forward!

(I guess I'll need to ship a case of beer to jolly for the plug! After all, I am in New Belgium land ).

Y'all are awesome for your unabashed opinions....keep it up.

Old 08-04-2012, 01:27 AM
Berthoud51
Freshman User
Fuel Pump Masochism

It's been a great day on the farm. I cleaned up the fuel pump and line from tank to pump, replaced the diaphragm and flex line from main line to the pump today (chuck's trucks was huge with helping me id the right components for the job), and got her fired up again in time to meet some friends at the local brewery (hat tip to John and Whitney at City Star Brewery in Berthoud for pouring cold IPAs on a hot summer night ).

The results of my exploits: The inline sediment filter turns out to be a pumice like filter. I'm suspecting the PO did a body on paint job without sealing the fuel system and gas tank. As a result, the sediment in the filter was 5/8 thick, and full of chunks only recognizable by God and a mass spectrometer. I was able to clean off the brass screen between the sediment bowl and pump, replace a few rubber gaskets and the fuel line, and she's purring like a siamese in heat (sorry but I'm a sucker for a purring engine ). Here are a couple before and afters (sorry for the blurry pix...I was using a crapy cam on the phone). In the end I kept the archaic pre filter in place and will see if my efforts will stave off a full carb rebuild.

Raytasch...much obliged for your thoughts!

Now back to hauling turds for the yard (MOOOOO!)

Old 08-04-2012, 09:04 AM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
I must say, replacing the M/T tires has improved her mpg. She will run closer to 60 mph without complaint now that I've reduced the frictional coefficient.

Admittedly, I'll never be as detailed as my friend Jolly Roger, but hope to be able to post more frequently going forward!

(I guess I'll need to ship a case of beer to jolly for the plug! After all, I am in New Belgium land ).
I am a little confused (not all that abnormal for me). There is a "Jolly Roger" on FTE, and I'm "Jolly Roger Joe". I have to think you're referring to the other guy about owing a case of beer, because I can think of nothing I've done for you that would deserve anything in return. But then you mention "New Belgium land", and Fat Tire is my beverage of choice. Hence my confusion.

Anyway, back on topic, sort of, you might add the original springs to your truck. If you're interested in doing so, I'll bet there are some guys here that have a set stashed away. Just ask, and see what responses you get.

Also, I'm surprised to hear you say you can get close to 60 mph with 19.5" wheels. My Betsy is not yet roadworthy, but I've been told not to expect greater than 45 mph without stressing her, and 50ish for a top speed.

Old 08-04-2012, 09:06 AM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver

That cleaned up really well. Good work!

Old 06-09-2014, 04:31 PM
Berthoud51
Freshman User
After hauling several loads of composted dairy manure this spring I felt it was time to replace the rotted bed. A townie located some reclaimed oak, so away we went. I'll have a few more pics later today, but here is the finished.

Old 06-09-2014, 04:32 PM
Berthoud51
Freshman User
Saturday was also our town parade. I met another local Tonner in the line up.

That's "white66" in his '41 behind me.

Old 06-09-2014, 04:36 PM
Berthoud51
Freshman User
White66 in the parade

Old 06-09-2014, 04:39 PM
Berthoud51
Freshman User
I loaded the thumbnails thinking it would save space. Yep. Saved a bunch. Here are the full sized shots:

Old 06-09-2014, 07:38 PM
jmadsen
Logistics Pro
Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
Nice trucks. The bed looks great too.
Thanks for the pictures.

Old 06-09-2014, 11:00 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Your bed looks great!