6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Pop N Lock PL8250 Installation Clarification.

Old 10-25-2012, 01:55 PM
my_crib_too
Cargo Master
Received 1,183 Likes on 364 Posts
I'm thinking about adding a PL8250 to my 2011 SD crew. Anyone else add one to their truck since this thread was last updated? Have any more advice before I order and install?

Old 10-25-2012, 02:18 PM
Jefff H
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I added one to my 2012 Crew Cab. It's a great product, however, I also wasted a couple hours because of faulty directions. I ended up tied into the wiring on the passenger side. The destructions said to use the drivers side, but that was incorrect. I tested almost every wire in the bundle before finding the right ones.

Old 10-25-2012, 03:05 PM
my_crib_too
Cargo Master
Seems like the hardest part is proper identification of the correct wires. Passenger side, violet/gray and gray/tan wires... That's what I keep reading. Hope the wires are there when I get to that part.

bruce....

Old 10-27-2012, 06:40 PM
my_crib_too
Cargo Master
Installed one on my 2011 SD Crew today. Took a little over three hours.
  • I started under the passenger door with the wires. First I found the correct wires and hooked the unit up and tested it to insure that it would open and close while the unit was sitting on the garge floor.
  • I then ran the wires to the back of the truck.
  • Last, I opened the tail gate and put the unit in. I kept testing at at each step.
Tips:
  • I soldered the wire connection. The connector would have worked but I don't like connectors.
  • If you read about installing this unit, you will read about installing a flat washer between the lock and unit to stop binding. I used two. There was binding without the washer.
  • Plenty of extra wire with the kit.
  • You will need exta zip ties. I took my time running the wire under the truck to insure a neet job.

Old 01-30-2013, 09:04 PM
my_crib_too
Cargo Master
3 month update.

The Pop-n-lock works great. Glad that I did this project. Great knowing items in the back of my truck are safe and secure.

Old 01-31-2013, 06:45 PM
madsonp
Received 75 Likes on 63 Posts
I ran my wires on the drivers side, I zip tied them to an existing wire harness that runs along the frame, it was a little tricky getting by the fuel tank however, I used a fish tape for that. If you look under the truck where the back floor is, you'll see a rubber grommet that you can cut a hole in and feed the wires up under the carpet. Then I ran them over to the drivers side threshold. I then tied into the door lock wires under the door threshold of the drivers side. I don't recall the wire colors right off hand. The reason I chose the drivers side is because of the lack of places to zip tie the wire to on the passenger side. In addition to the pop-n-lock wires, all in the same wire loom, I also ran wires to an additional backup camera mounted to the top of my topper for my Pioneer Nav system, so I can turn the camera on and off as I need to keep an eye on things when pulling a trailer, and also a wire from the battery to the back of the truck so I have power in the back that's hot at all times. I use this to power some lights I installed in my topper. You'd kind of think Ford would make this standard equipment on their trucks.

Old 01-31-2013, 08:42 PM
RedBoat
Rather Be Floatin

madsonp, The reason to connect the pop-n-lock wires under the passenger side threshold is to allow you to connect to the wiring to unlock the tailgate after hitting the unlock button on your remote twice. (If you have it set up where one push on the button unlocks the drivers door and two pushes unlocks all doors.) FYI, there is also a gromet on the passenger side that you can use to feed the wire up through. Really like the idea of not having to remember to lock the tailgate with the key.

Old 01-31-2013, 09:04 PM
madsonp
Received 75 Likes on 63 Posts
Originally Posted by RedBoat
madsonp, The reason to connect the pop-n-lock wires under the passenger side threshold is to allow you to connect to the wiring to unlock the tailgate after hitting the unlock button on your remote twice. (If you have it set up where one push on the button unlocks the drivers door and two pushes unlocks all doors.) FYI, there is also a gromet on the passenger side that you can use to feed the wire up through. Really like the idea of not having to remember to lock the tailgate with the key.
I believe you can access the rear drivers door lock wiring at the drivers door wiring threshold also which does the same thing.

Old 02-12-2013, 11:26 PM
my_crib_too
Cargo Master
Old 02-13-2013, 09:34 PM
KPT
Freshman User
I put mine in last week.

The stud that's part of the tailgate has apparently gotten bigger. I had to drill out the hole in the pop and lock bracket for it to fit. The nut that comes with the kit also does not fit. The stock nut has a captive washer that won't fit with the bracket. I had to grind one side of it down to clear the bracket.

I also had to add washers under the bracket, it was binding on unlock.

Old 10-26-2013, 10:34 PM
digitalshooter
Junior User
Anyone install on a

2013 super crew lariat?

Drivers side or passenger side for wires?

What color wires: unlock color? Lock color?

Thanks

Old 10-09-2014, 08:57 AM
my_crib_too
Cargo Master
2 year update. Pop-N-Lock still works fine. No issues or concerns. Almost forget that I added it.

Does an automatic locking tailgate now come standard on new F-series trucks? Locking the doors, also locks the tailgate? Was this always an option from Ford and just was not a part of my specific truck?

Old 10-09-2014, 08:59 AM
digitalshooter
Junior User
Originally Posted by my_crib_too
2 year update. Pop-N-Lock still works fine. No issues or concerns. Almost forget that I added it.

Does an automatic locking tailgate now come standard on new F-series trucks? Locking the doors, also locks the tailgate? Was this always an option from Ford and just was not a part of my specific truck?
From what I saw at the dealer a teaser video of the 15, it has locking tail gate with doors. No, not on earlier models.

Old 10-09-2014, 09:15 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by my_crib_too

I do not see it as an option on the 15's and not standard either..

I added the P&L to my 08 and 12.

Old 10-09-2014, 09:20 AM
digitalshooter
Junior User
Originally Posted by sdetweil
I do not see it as an option on the 15's and not standard either..

I added the P&L to my 08 and 12.
Saw it in a video at dealership while waiting for truck to be serviced.

Hmmmm....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Pop N Lock PL8250 Installation Clarification.