1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Brake Line Copper Washers

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 06:48 PM
ct50f1
More Turbo
Received 42 Likes on 22 Posts
Brake Line Copper Washers

I'm feeling fairly stupid. When I stopped working on the truck in December, all I needed to do to complete the brake setup was to connect the brake lines. I have new wheel cylinders and new SS pre-bend lines. Things have warmed up now and I can work in the garage again so the first thing I want to do is finish the brakes. Unfortunately, when I went to start connecting things I noticed that I have only 2 copper washers that I think, although I can't remember for sure, came with the wheel cylinders. I assume I should have 4 - one for each cylinder. I also assume I should use copper washers where the SS tubes connect to the flexible brake lines. Is that correct? I looked in Mac's catalog and they show 3 different sizes of copper washers but they all appear to be bigger than the washers I have. Does anyone know what the dimensions are of the washers that should be used and where can you buy them?

Old 03-19-2012, 08:09 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
All of the McParts stores have them, I've bought them at Advance Auto but I had to buy them in an assortment pack to get the one or two I needed. A good parts store like NAPA should be able to sell you individual ones that you need.

I think I had washers on all the flat mating surfaces, the two front wheels cylinder inlets where the hose screw in and the master cylinder between the brass 3 way fitting and the MC, but I could be wrong. I don't know about the SS tubing but my regular steel fittings just screwed into the end of the hoses.

Old 03-19-2012, 08:11 PM
rdemilt
Elder User
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I know what you are talking about but cannot remember the actual name of the washers, they are required in aircraft lines / fittings for protecting the flare, also used in injection pumps on alot of diesel engines. I purchased some at a injector repair facility a few years ago, that shop had a endless selection of all sizes. try looking there.

My error I thought you were looking for washers to fit the flare, If your looking for the flat copper washer they can be purchased at NAPA or a motorcycle repair shop

Old 03-19-2012, 08:30 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
I'd be VERY leery of the copper washers at hardware stores and at AutoZone et al. I've gotten them there and they are NOT pure copper, and hard as rock. I even tried to anneal them and they still didn't conform well enough to seal. I got good ones at a hydraulic supply store, and they were a far better fit, too (ID and OD).

I just did front lines and Bob's recollection matches mine, they only at the wheel cylinders, not where hose meets steel.

Old 04-01-2012, 08:28 PM
ct50f1
More Turbo
Originally Posted by bobj49f2
I think I had washers on all the flat mating surfaces, the two front wheels cylinder inlets where the hose screw in and the master cylinder between the brass 3 way fitting and the MC, but I could be wrong. I don't know about the SS tubing but my regular steel fittings just screwed into the end of the hoses.
I did a google search about this and from what I read it looks like Bob is correct. Apparently the washers are only used on the front where the flexible hoses connect to the front wheel cylinders and at the brass fitting at the MC. I see no mention of them being used at the rear wheel cylinders. I'm guessing that the fittings in the rear don't need them because it's a solid connection - brake line tubing directly into the wheel cylinder. That would explain why I didn't get washers with the rear cylinders. Does that make sense?

Old 04-02-2012, 01:00 AM
Mervy49
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by ct50f1
I did a google search about this and from what I read it looks like Bob is correct. Apparently the washers are only used on the front where the flexible hoses connect to the front wheel cylinders and at the brass fitting at the MC. I see no mention of them being used at the rear wheel cylinders. I'm guessing that the fittings in the rear don't need them because it's a solid connection - brake line tubing directly into the wheel cylinder. That would explain why I didn't get washers with the rear cylinders. Does that make sense?
Yep, the 'crush' washers are supplied for the front hoses where they meet the brake cylinders or caliper piston.

Old 04-03-2012, 08:35 PM
ct50f1
More Turbo
Thanks guys for the information. As you can tell, I'm not much of a mechanic but I enjoy working on the truck and I'm starting to get things back together with the help of FTE. And some of this stuff is actually starting to sink in and make sense.