Sponsored by: DP Tuner

TO: 7.3 Excursion owners with 4" exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 04:53 PM
Studawg
Thread Ender

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by SkySkiJason
MBRP 4" w/muffler here. I miss how quiet it was w/stock exhaust... It's not the deafening drone my '99 454cid Suburban had with basically straight pipes, but its not stock-quiet either. Overall, the stock exhaust with muffler delete on my F350 is quieter - inside and outside the truck. I actually prefer the tone of the straight-piped 3.5" exhaust!

With 100% stock exhaust and the tunes I was running on the X, I had NO PROBLEM with EGT's even towing my 12k lb Toy Hauler in the heat of summer thru the Smokey Mountains. The ONLY reason I went to the 4" system is I have bigger plans for the X and stock won't be an option. There is no MPG or SOTP's power increase, so as long as you have good tuning - I cannot see WHY you'd give up a nice, quiet luxury ride for a noisy 4" exhaust. (I think thats what old people would say... )

All that said, when that 4" MBRP sees 30psi of boost and 2500rpm's - it makes beautiful music!! And I am certain it took 1000's of miles of driving with no radio listening to that song before my fuel economy and tire wear got back to normal - but since I drive ALOT and tow about 50% of that, I miss the quiet interior the stock system provided. I have added dynomat stuff to the floor and will be doing doors and roof, but do not expect it to be stock-quiet ever again...
I had a 97 K2500 Sub with the 454 too, (last year of the manual TC shifter) and put a K&N intake in it and boy would that thing ROAR at full throttle! Anyway, now youve got me thinking. The reason I didnt just run a muffler delete in my stock exhaust is because I was worried about drone with no muffler. I want lower egts, and all the benefits that come with opening up the exhaust, but I dont want drone. I dont mind if its loud, but I dont want drone when Im humming along at 75.

I drive a lot (25k+/year) and tow a good bit too. I dont plan on increasing horsepower much, just modding for reliability, longevity, mileage etc... Now Im thinking I should just stay with what I have, or maybe delete the aeroturbine muffler and see how that goes.

Old 03-20-2012, 09:27 PM
sand_fiend
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by duck fan
Yup, the standard MBRP 4"

With my MBRP 4" windows up, is as quite as stock. I can hear it a little more than stock when the passenger window is down

Old 03-20-2012, 09:31 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Answered in the Ex forum thread.

Stewart

Old 03-20-2012, 09:49 PM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Received 1,890 Likes on 1,141 Posts
Originally Posted by Studawg
I want lower egts, and all the benefits that come with opening up the exhaust
I could not get my EGT's over 1200* towing at over 20k lb GCW, even pulling grades like Monteagle Pass exceeding the speed limit and at WOT from bottom to top - with a STOCK muffler. The 'benefits' of opening up the exhaust are overstated and like most mods, reap the benefits of people justifying their 'upgrades'.

If you have fixed your drive pressure and boost leaks and still have to watch your pyrometer when towing - you need better tunes! I can honestly say I don't NEED gauges with these tunes, even towing heavy. I ran different tunes for a looooong time and would have never believed this was possible.

My 'burb had no cats and dual 2.5" pipes and a straight thru 2 in/2 out muffler when I bought it. It was Nascar loud at WOT, but the drone at 40mph was literally unbearable. I LOVED it - for about 1 day... We also replaced the NV 242? (auto 4wd option) twice - along with lots and lots of other things. I can honestly say I do not miss that turd - the Excursion is sooooooo much better!!!!