1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

turbo upgrades: what are my options and what will they do?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 09:08 AM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by f350rebel7788
would a Garrett GT40 be a good one? what qualities am I lookin for??? I think the biggest problem i have with these things is that the names are all just letters and numbers and don't really explain much about the characteristics...
That's the nice thing about the Borg Warner turbos, the name tells you at least a little about the turbo. What you'll have to do with whatever turbo you're looking at is get the specs and look at the maps for them (if you can understand them) and see if the turbo will meet your goals.

Or just ask someone who knows this crap like Travis

Old 03-22-2012, 09:12 AM
Ken_C
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just dislike jumping through all the flaming hoops to get on one. and yes theres the whole crashing thing...

Old 03-22-2012, 09:26 AM
bad12jr
Posting Guru
Don't blame you on that.

Old 03-22-2012, 10:18 AM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
I also dislike planes, next thing they will do besides radiate you is stripe search you with a full cavity check. Its insulting and the American people let them get away with it. Millions of $ for scanners that are harmful to our health and dignity but yet dogs have been proven to do a much better job, go figure.

As far as the trains Ken, I actually liked the job itself. It was the management and the on call 24/7 365 minus vacation with only a hour and a half to report to duty that sucked. Even after all those years I was still amazed to look back and watch a coal or freight train whining around all the curves wondering 'how the heck does all that stay on the tracks?' They don't all the time either. A coal train derailed 45 cars a 50mph once and a lady rancher was on a hill riding fence on her horse. She rode down and said to the engineer, "I've seen hurricanes and I've seen tornadoes but I've never seen anything like that!!

Old 03-22-2012, 10:35 AM
DarkStarMedia
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by oldbird1965
I also dislike planes, next thing they will do besides radiate you is stripe search you with a full cavity check. Its insulting and the American people let them get away with it. Millions of $ for scanners that are harmful to our health and dignity but yet dogs have been proven to do a much better job, go figure.

As far as the trains Ken, I actually liked the job itself. It was the management and the on call 24/7 365 minus vacation with only a hour and a half to report to duty that sucked. Even after all those years I was still amazed to look back and watch a coal or freight train whining around all the curves wondering 'how the heck does all that stay on the tracks?' They don't all the time either. A coal train derailed 45 cars a 50mph once and a lady rancher was on a hill riding fence on her horse. She rode down and said to the engineer, "I've seen hurricanes and I've seen tornadoes but I've never seen anything like that!!
those scanners can be made useless with a little needlework...

Activist bypasses $200,000 TSA nude body scanners with cloth and a sewing kit

what a way to waste money and give people false security...

Richard

EDT: while you read that think where most people carry concealed ...

EDT2: sorry for the OT...

Old 03-22-2012, 04:32 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
would a Garrett GT40 be a good one? what qualities am I lookin for??? I think the biggest problem i have with these things is that the names are all just letters and numbers and don't really explain much about the characteristics...
Depends on what your setting the turbo up for. Are you asking if this is a good turbo for stage 1's? stage 2's? hybrids?

It also depends which GT40 your talking about. There is a GT4088 and the GT4094R. The GT4094R would be a good turbo to try out with some stage 1's-small hybrids. For stage 2's and small hybrids, I'd try the 1.19 housing since the turbine wheel is only .8mm larger than stock. The GT4094 is only available as a ball bearing as far as I can tell and the ball bearing turbos are pretty pricey, but should spool a little easier and stay spooled better than a journal bearing. So, that will depend on how much money your willing to spend. On a guess, I'd say it should be good up to ~500hp.

Old 03-22-2012, 05:24 PM
f350rebel7788
Disabled USMC Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by strokin'_tatsch
Depends on what your setting the turbo up for. Are you asking if this is a good turbo for stage 1's? stage 2's? hybrids?

It also depends which GT40 your talking about. There is a GT4088 and the GT4094R. The GT4094R would be a good turbo to try out with some stage 1's-small hybrids. For stage 2's and small hybrids, I'd try the 1.19 housing since the turbine wheel is only .8mm larger than stock. The GT4094 is only available as a ball bearing as far as I can tell and the ball bearing turbos are pretty pricey, but should spool a little easier and stay spooled better than a journal bearing. So, that will depend on how much money your willing to spend. On a guess, I'd say it should be good up to ~500hp.
i'm guessing "GT40" is the base name and the "-88" or "-94" is the housing size? so .88 housing or .94 housing? cause all the Garrett site has is "gt 38", "gt 40", and "gt42"...

Old 03-22-2012, 06:12 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
i'm guessing "GT40" is the base name and the "-88" or "-94" is the housing size? so .88 housing or .94 housing? cause all the Garrett site has is "gt 38", "gt 40", and "gt42"...
No, the Garrett model numbers are weird. Before I write all this out, I should explain the difference between the inducer and exducer of the compressor wheel and turbine wheel. The "INDUCER" is the area of the wheel where air ENTERS the wheel. The "EXDUCER" is the area of the wheel where air EXITS the wheel. See the pic below

In the GT series the model number breaks down like this.

For this example we'll use the GT4094R. GT40 = 77mm turbine inducer // 94 = 94mm compressor wheel exducer // R = ball bearing

So, with that said, the GT4088 would break down like this. GT40 = 77mm turbine inducer // 88 = 88mm compressor exducer // since there is no "R" on the end, it would be a journal bearing turbo, NOT ball bearing. There is a GT4088R that is the exact same break down except it is ball bearing, NOT journal bearing.

With the Borg Warner turbos(S300, S400, S500, etc) the S300 portion is simply the frame size of the turbo. Each frame has A LOT of compressor wheel, turbine wheel, and turbine housing options.

When we say S466, we simply mean an S400 turbocharger with a 66mm compressor wheel inducer. This is not how Borg Warner names their turbos, just how we say it to make it easier to know what size charger we are talking about.

The reason some of us find this easier than Garrett's way of naming turbos is b/c we go by the compressor wheel inducer for things like sled pulling rules and when we are talking about our turbo that has a 66mm inducer, we will say simply our turbo is a 66mm turbo. We don't say that it is an 88mm turbo when the inducer of the compressor wheel is really 66mm.

Old 03-22-2012, 06:53 PM
f350rebel7788
Disabled USMC Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
holy crap how do you know all this? lol okay, i'm pretty sure I get it... so i'm assuming that Borg Warner is the most accepted/used turbo when it comes to aftermarket? how do you know if a Borg Warner is ball or journal bearing?

Old 03-22-2012, 07:07 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
holy crap how do you know all this? lol okay, i'm pretty sure I get it... so i'm assuming that Borg Warner is the most accepted/used turbo when it comes to aftermarket? how do you know if a Borg Warner is ball or journal bearing?
Actually Garrett's and Borg Warner's are both greatly used on the 7.3L as aftermarket upgrades. Many people like to run the ball bearing Garrett turbos and many people like the huge variety of options available with the Borg Warner turbos and also there are many upgrade options with both such as billet compressor wheels, race covers(higher flowing compressor housings), stainless steel turbine housings, etc.

Not very many Borg Warner turbos are ball bearing. I know for sure that all the "EFR" series Borg Warner turbos come as ball bearing and have forged, billet compressor wheels. Other than that, I don't know believe that any of the other BW turbos are ball bearing, but then again I haven't researched it that much. I'm not very interested in running a ball bearing unit at this time, so I don't look into them very much. I like having a rebuild-able turbo and journal bearings are less money.

Old 03-22-2012, 08:35 PM
bad12jr
Posting Guru
I'm going to use a chinnese eBay hx55 this summer. For the price its worth a shot. Has a 18cm t4 housing so should match pretty well with my stock sticks. And can always go to a better charger with bigger sticks.

Old 03-22-2012, 08:36 PM
bad12jr
Posting Guru
Superduty stock sticks. Sorry.

Old 05-21-2012, 10:33 AM
jchosler
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I only see this s466 here

Bullseye Power S466 Billet BatMoWheel - Boost Lab, Inc.

and it's $1800, Irate doesnt seem to have the s466 either.

Where can I find one?

Old 05-21-2012, 10:39 AM
jchosler
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
and would this be a good turbo for the 160cc stage II's?
What would you think? Im mostly street driving and towing

Old 05-21-2012, 02:06 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
I don't think that Borg Warner makes an off the shelf S400 with a 66mm compressor wheel. They have the S467 with the FMW compressor wheel that is a nice turbo and Jake carries it. There is also the S465. You can get an S466 through bullseye or many other turbo builders. You can also get an S465 and update it with a 66mm billet wheel and race cover for more flow and all you have to do is machine the pocket in the backing plate to accept the wheel.

Quick Reply: turbo upgrades: what are my options and what will they do?