Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Super Duty & Heavy Duty 1999 to current Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-20-2012, 02:24 PM
Senior User

2003 f-250 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 78bigbronco View Post
I really do want to get brakes. Just got to convince the other half to let me buy a bigger trailer. Edited: I did just look up ohio revised code laws and found it did say trailers 2k empty or more must have brakes. I have no idea why they would care about empty weight and not loaded, who knows, but I guess I'm good there.
b/c in ohio you always have an empty weight if you have plates on it. Also, you can legally only haul so much on a trailer that weighs a ton.

atleat that's how I look at it, but what do I know lol
Old 03-20-2012, 02:29 PM
Posting Guru

kd0axs has a great reputation on FTE.kd0axs has a great reputation on FTE.kd0axs has a great reputation on FTE.kd0axs has a great reputation on FTE.kd0axs has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterCMK View Post
Is that loaded or empty?

I put brakes on our pop-up trailer which I want to say is around 2,000-2,500lbs and that sure is nice.
For here in MN it's actually any trailer over 3000 lbs GVWR. (Or a GVWR that exceeds the empty weight of the tow vehicle, but that would only apply if you were towing with a small car)

This is something that really should be standardized nationwide. There really is no reason for things like this to vary so much from state to state.

One that really caught my eye is Missouri, where brakes are only required on fifth wheels. You could tow a 10,000 lb bumper pull trailer with no brakes, but a fifth wheel that weighs half that much is required to have them.
Old 03-20-2012, 03:44 PM
Posting Guru

78bigbronco is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kd0axs View Post
Here you go, Ohio requires brakes on any trailer with an empty weight over 2000 lbs.

Trailer Brakes | AAA/CAA Digest of Motor Laws
Yeah I saw that on ohio;s website. My trailer is ~1400 lbs. And as far as I am aware there is no gvwr associated with it, other than its got a 3500# axle and tires around that rating.

09 F-350 V10 4x4 6spd CC/8' ordered 5/26/09 delivered 7/6/09
99 F-150 V6 4x4 5spd RegCab/Short bed
78 Big Bronco 4x4 (a work in progress)
Old 03-20-2012, 06:27 PM
Postmaster

Kajtek1 has a very good reputation on FTE.Kajtek1 has a very good reputation on FTE.Kajtek1 has a very good reputation on FTE.
You can't standardize everything. California is much harder to drive than most of the states, that is why we don't allow double semitrailer towing and our trailers GVW above 1500 lb have to have brakes. On flat lands in Nebraska I was offered 7000lb trailer with no brakes.
With brakes there is one fact >>> you think you have them adequate till the situation proves you wrong and that very often ends tragic.
Old 03-20-2012, 11:21 PM
Posting Guru

kd0axs has a great reputation on FTE.kd0axs has a great reputation on FTE.kd0axs has a great reputation on FTE.kd0axs has a great reputation on FTE.kd0axs has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kajtek1 View Post
You can't standardize everything. California is much harder to drive than most of the states, that is why we don't allow double semitrailer towing and our trailers GVW above 1500 lb have to have brakes. On flat lands in Nebraska I was offered 7000lb trailer with no brakes.
With brakes there is one fact >>> you think you have them adequate till the situation proves you wrong and that very often ends tragic.
From what I read, that 1500 lb limit in CA is only for camper trailers. All other trailers can go up to 3000 lbs before needing brakes, and if the trailer was built from 1940-1966 it can go up to 6000 lbs before needing brakes.

I totally agree with the second part of what you said there, whuch is exactly why things like this should be standardized. The guy in Nebraska that isn't required to have brakes on his 7000 pound trailer would be asking for disaster if he headed one state to the west into the mountains with no trailer brakes.
Old 03-21-2012, 04:37 AM
Post Fiend

jdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputation
Google has everything you want to know

https://www.google.com/search?q=cat+scales

$9.50 and they follow the script exactly...
pull into scale entrance until you are even with intercom / button...
(pull close to left as the button is semi height )
push button and they say
"Weigh or reweigh?" - first time through is weigh !
"truck number ?" - tell them your lucky number or anything...

"Got your weight come to the fuel desk to collect your report"
pays your money and go about your way
here's a snippet of mine below with 5th wheel attached:

the next time you go to reweigh you just pay $1.00 or so... but give them the same number
peice of cake
Attached Images

all gone:12 MVP Destiny 355RE 5er,12 F250 6.7 CCSB Grey Metallic Lariat w/ Ultimate Pkg,05 Ex 4x4 6L,03 Ex 4x4 6L,02 Ex 4x2 7.3L
Old 03-21-2012, 07:06 AM
Elder User

bucci is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.bucci is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kd0axs View Post
I totally agree with the second part of what you said there, whuch is exactly why things like this should be standardized. The guy in Nebraska that isn't required to have brakes on his 7000 pound trailer would be asking for disaster if he headed one state to the west into the mountains with no trailer brakes.
Why would someone who only does intrastate driving care about or want to have the burden or the extra expense associated with interstate driving? Many times FMCSA requirements are stricter than state and require more maintanence and expense. Many times intrastate drivers would be burdened unnecessarily.

I think it is right for individual states to govern their own state and set laws that apply to their state. However, if drivers go across states even as little as 1 time, it is their responsibilty to know the laws that apply and make the proper adjustments to comply.

Driving codes are like buildings codes. They are very dependent on the geographical area and population. Buildings in PA don't need to built to withstand earthquakes like they do in CA. If an architect that designs buildings in PA designs a building to be built in CA, he has to make the adjustments to comply with CA building codes and vice versa.
XL Trim with Power Equip. Group, XL Decor & XL Plus
9x7 Reading Dump Body with Scissor Lift & Chelsea PTO
Old 03-21-2012, 12:22 PM
Posting Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdadamsjr View Post
Google has everything you want to know

https://www.google.com/search?q=cat+scales

$9.50 and they follow the script exactly...
pull into scale entrance until you are even with intercom / button...
(pull close to left as the button is semi height )
push button and they say
"Weigh or reweigh?" - first time through is weigh !
"truck number ?" - tell them your lucky number or anything...

"Got your weight come to the fuel desk to collect your report"
pays your money and go about your way
here's a snippet of mine below with 5th wheel attached:

the next time you go to reweigh you just pay $1.00 or so... but give them the same number
peice of cake
Thanks! Yeah I guess google does have everything!

Do they need a unique truck number or just anything like '350'?

I've been getting home too late and have to get up to early to take my truck to the scales. I have tomorrow off so I may do it tomorrow. Whats usually the least busy time from truckers? I have to stay up late to start my transition to nightshift fri night so I'll be up probably around 8am tomorrow to around 2am, I'm not really sure when the slow spot is for semis.

As for standardization of vehicle laws, well I can see both sides but I would be in favor of standard laws. I can understand local building codes. You dont take your house across state lines to often and the locale has a lot to do with the building (snow load on roof, flooding, earthquake, etc.) I cant see nearly as many locale specific needs for vehicles (well maybe hilly states would have greater brake requirements, I can agree with that).

Old 03-21-2012, 12:33 PM

Tom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputation
TomB985
Quote:
Originally Posted by 78bigbronco View Post
Do they need a unique truck number or just anything like '350'?
Just say "private". You're not a for-hire carrier and therefore the certification means nothing to you. I've used scales mostly while driving trucks but also when moving with the military. They will weigh just about anything you put on the scale, they care less. You might have to call the fuel desk on your cell phone because often the button and speaker are even with a truck's cab.

Currently truckless.
Most recently: 2013 F150 XLT 4x4 EcoBoost
Moderators, Guidelines, and How They are Enforced
Old 03-23-2012, 07:55 PM
Posting Guru

Ok so I weighed it yesterday. Minus driver, as I forgot to ask for a phone # and had to walk in to tell em I was on the scales.

Anyway, FWIW:
Steer axle: 4300 (5200 rated)
Drive axle: 6760 (6262 rated)
Trailer axle: 3760 (3500 rated)

So more or less what I expected. However when I was actually hauling everything home, there is the added weight of myself, wife, son, dog and, probably 100 lbs more gear, so + ~600 lbs more. Compared to my usual trip back from the woods I was average or maybe a touch heavy on the trailer, but a touch lighter on the load in the truck. I was hauling mostly cherry, and it wasnt stuffed full. Hauling black locust would have been easily 1,000 lbs more on the truck. Times like this I wish I had got a dually. I'm already 500 lbs over on the rear axle of the truck not even including all drivers/passengers and the times I haul heavier wood. So I need to shift some of that weight to the trailer,and I'm maxed out there too, so need to start shopping for a bigger trailer.

I'll have to go back over emtpy as soon as I get it all unloaded.

Old 03-23-2012, 08:00 PM
Avid Winter Hater

MisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputation
You definitely need a bigger trailer.
Hope & A Prayer Motorsports
Old 03-23-2012, 09:32 PM
Postmaster

Kajtek1 has a very good reputation on FTE.Kajtek1 has a very good reputation on FTE.Kajtek1 has a very good reputation on FTE.
I got "free" weigh service picking up gravel today.
19300 lb for the loaded truck. Didn't bother to check the axles.
Old 03-23-2012, 10:02 PM
Posting Guru

+1 on needing a bigger trailer. Looks like you are probably hauling about double your trailer's capacity. Not only is the axle over capacity, but it looks like you probably have way too much tongue weight as well. What you really need is a tandem axle trailer that can carry more of the load on the trailer, plus a weight distributing hitch which would transfer some of that weight to the front axle.
Old 03-24-2012, 02:33 AM
Posting Guru

I dont think I was that far over the weight rating of the trailer, I mean it was only a couple hundred pounds. But yeah, looking for a tandem axle car hauler sized trailer, just a matter of being able to find one cheap enough. Still debating putting a 5k axle on my current trailer though since I am having trouble finding a bigger trailer.

Just fwiw here is what the typical trip back from the woods looks like.

Click the image to open in full size.

That particular trip was mostly locust, and heaped right up over my rails. The trip I weighed was cherry and not quite that full either.

Old 03-24-2012, 07:13 AM
Posting Guru

Ok, I didn't realize you were hauling that much on the truck in addition to the trailer. You need to get some of the weight iff the truck and on the trailer instead, but you can't since the trailer is already over capacity.

You could put a heavier axle under that trailer, but don't forget you would also need higher capacity tires. Only problem here is that you are still on a frame that's only designed for 3500 lbs.

IMO you should find a larger tandem axle trailer and then sell the one you have now to offset some of the cost. Then you would have a trailer with significantly more capacity, and it probably wouldn't cost much more in the end than it would to "upgrade" your current trailer.

Edit: I don't know how close this is to you, but it looks like exactly what you need at a pretty good price.

http://columbus.craigslist.org/grd/2888072068.html

[IMG]http://images.craigslist.org/5L35Ge5Mf3G53Ia3Fbc3676da3b0e90641877.jpg[IMG]
Old 03-24-2012, 07:13 AM