6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

diagnosis needed, new heads, egr delete, ARP's just installed 500 miles ago

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 11:24 AM
lakewood
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by CAMPINGTOM
Hey Lakewood, did our buddy John tell you this?

Since he did my delete about 2 years ago my temp spread has stayed around 6 degrees.
No it wasnt john, this was from a guy who doesnt work for ford. Just works on all diesels, so i wouldnt believe this as much if john told me. My spreads are finicky sometimes

Old 03-20-2012, 01:52 PM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 68 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by lakewood
Now i've been told this so dont quote me:
"05 6.0s tend to have a greater spread EOT/ECT than the rest of the years"
^This is from a diesel tech
That's absolutely not true. There is NOTHING to suggest or support this. The 05,6,7 engines are virtually identical as are the coolers with ALL the engines.

Old 03-20-2012, 02:03 PM
Bigdaddybus
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So my truck is currently at the dealership getting the coolant reverse flow enema from a garden hose. The oil cooler is new with less than 500 miles.

Before the cleansing, I was getting 232-235 EOT and 192 ECT driving down the interstate at 67mph with the cruise on for 1 hour in 70 degree weather.

What level is acceptable when I pick it up and make the 1 hour drive back home? Will my coolant filter help, or if the dirt is lodged in there for good?

According to the ford tech, the max acceptable delta is 15 degrees. I am just wondering if I am close to that if the coolant filter will clean it up more or should I push for another oil cooler to be installed.

Old 03-20-2012, 05:13 PM
lakewood
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by npccpartsman
That's absolutely not true. There is NOTHING to suggest or support this. The 05,6,7 engines are virtually identical as are the coolers with ALL the engines.
Dont hold it against me now, didnt come outta my mouth.

Originally Posted by Bigdaddybus
So my truck is currently at the dealership getting the coolant reverse flow enema from a garden hose. The oil cooler is new with less than 500 miles.

Before the cleansing, I was getting 232-235 EOT and 192 ECT driving down the interstate at 67mph with the cruise on for 1 hour in 70 degree weather.

What level is acceptable when I pick it up and make the 1 hour drive back home? Will my coolant filter help, or if the dirt is lodged in there for good?

According to the ford tech, the max acceptable delta is 15 degrees. I am just wondering if I am close to that if the coolant filter will clean it up more or should I push for another oil cooler to be installed.
I would push for a new one, the one they installed 500 miles could easily be clogged up which is why you have such a spread. If they say no, and there is no reasoning with them, id just consider buying a new one yourself. Save your self future head ache

Old 03-20-2012, 07:33 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts
Yep 15* is max spread per Ford there is alittle give to that number though depending what you have as far as EGR Cooler. Early years had a round EGR cooler thats Bullet Proof OEM parrt. Now if you have the square one they have a High Fail rate most folks with a square egr cooler upgrade to a BPD EGR Cooler.

Hope this Backflush works for you. Most that have replaced the oil cooler to have it clogg again Fast Have had pretty good Luck flushing them out. And every mile you run with a Coolant filter will Help.

Also Most folks will do there own Coolant flush before they take the truck into the Dealer for an oil cooler change. Not very Many Shops will spend the time Needed to do a thuro flush. In total I spent a day and maybe half and Half a tank of fuel just flushing the Coolant system before I replaced the Oil cooler I did it all Reverse flush with garden hose also ran VC-9 cleaners pulled thermostat out set to high Idel for an Hour with the cleaner running in it. pulled block drains stuffed a garden hose in every Port/Hose Possible for a Day installed the coolant filter ran 2 or 3K with the coolant filter and collected all the parts for the Oil cooler Job and did another Good Round of flushing Before I changed the oil cooler out. Iv put 13K on since the work and oil cooler is holding at a 4-6*spread ECT vs EOT so far all that time I put into cleaning it has PAID OFF. So if it gives you more trouble something to think about

Old 03-22-2012, 02:57 PM
Bigdaddybus
Senior User
I just picked the truck up from the Ford dealer and made the 60 mile trip home. ECT stayed at 190 the entire trip, EOT peaked at 227.

It topped out at 236 on the drive down to the dealer before the flush, with the ECT at 192.

The truck was flushed with VC-9 and the tech said he got alot of crap out of it. He also flushed it directly into the oil cooler plug as shown in the 6L tech folder. pulling the block plugs multiple times and running it at high idle quite a bit.

I pulled the coolant filter and replaced it with a new one.

The plan is now for me to bring it in for an oil change and another coolant flush in 1000 miles.

likely a dumb question, but I will ask anyway..... Can I remove the thermostat for the next 1000 miles and increase the flow through the oil cooler and catch more with my coolant filter? run VC-9 in it for 1000 miles?

Old 03-22-2012, 03:10 PM
Unrealo4
Posting Guru
I would insist on him replaceing the oil cooler again upon your 1000 mile return. They owe it to you, this is rediculas.

Old 03-22-2012, 04:49 PM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
run VC-9 in it for 1000 miles?
No. In my understanding VC-9 is nearly identical to Restore Plus, and Cummins Filtration says leaving that in the engine for more than 3 hours will damage elastomers and corrode soft metals. Very bad idea.

Old 03-22-2012, 05:41 PM
Bigdaddybus
Senior User
How hot will the EOT get before throwing a check engine light?

I called the dealer and am waiting for their reply.

The truck runs fine with no trailer at EOT 222, ECT 190, but when you add my toyhauler the temps got real ugly. It reached EOT 256 for a few min, ECT was never above 192 with no CEL.

All with stock tunes.

Old 03-22-2012, 05:50 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
I Gaurenty he didnt Flush like some of us do here I have seen folks Flush a oil cooler thats been running for years (Junk more packed in there) and have better results than that. I bet he threw the little flush print out you gave him in the garbage.

at a 35* average spread its plugged

Good thing its got a EGR Deleate

It needs to run at high idel witht he thermostat removed

you better do your own flush and then haul it back to him for a new oil cooler

Old 03-22-2012, 05:53 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
How hot will the EOT get before throwing a check engine light?

I called the dealer and am waiting for their reply.

The truck runs fine with no trailer at EOT 222, ECT 190, but when you add my toyhauler the temps got real ugly. It reached EOT 256 for a few min, ECT was never above 192 with no CEL.

All with stock tunes.

It defuels at 253* EOT
and at 221* ECT
95MPH
4005RPM IIRC on this last one

Old 03-22-2012, 08:41 PM
Bigdaddybus
Senior User
Truck was just dropped off at the dealership for coolant flush, new oil cooler, and an oil change to be completed tomorrow.
I put around 175 miles on it, and if I didn't have the SCT telling me the temps I would have had no idea there was an issue.

Wife wants me to buy something else since this truck has been in the dealership 57 of the last 61 days! Ughh

Thanks for all the good info

Old 03-22-2012, 09:07 PM
Unrealo4
Posting Guru
At 256 eot your on the verge of a new motor! Seriously i think your oil standpipe melts around that temp. Man i would take them to court if they dont this squared away.

Old 03-23-2012, 12:47 PM
Bigdaddybus
Senior User
being flushed again, directly into the oil cooler with both block plugs pulled for 30 min. Same as yesterday, except the mechanic told me he got a tight seal to the oil cooler today. Is there a bypass when the cooler is clogged? Could all the oil be bypassing the cooler? The mechanic said it doesnt seem that there is very much crud coming out.

also getting a new oil temp sensor installed, reflashing the ECM, oil changed, supposed to leave for vacation in the morning..........

wife is on the warpath with the owner of the dealership, and after 59 of the last 64 days in the dealership she is finally ticked. i'm just going to stand back and let her go. Amazing to me that the dealership has 25-30 new and used vehicles that we could use to not have to cancel our family vacation, but getting them to offer is like pulling teeth.

Hey Ford, Could you run a 2012 Expedition HD with a ecoboost down the assembly line this afternoon and express ship it to my house? thanks, Brian

Old 03-23-2012, 11:01 PM
Bigdaddybus
Senior User
I got the truckback from the dealer and brought it home. After 15 min on the highway I had 192 ect and 208 eot and was feeling good about the dealer flush. By the time I drove the 60 miles home I was at 192 ect and 227 eot.

So my oil cooler is currently getting an overnight backflush in the driveway. Getting that back T30 bolt off the cover under the turbo is a booger.

Pulled the passenger rear block plug and lower radiator hose into a bucket. I was surprised at the amount of sediment in the coolant that was 4 hours old.

I flushed the radiator a half dozen times too.

Hopefully this takes care of it.

Quick Reply: diagnosis needed, new heads, egr delete, ARP's just installed 500 miles ago