Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Ford Vans and other vehicles > Ranchero & 1961 - 1967 Econoline
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-18-2012, 10:16 PM
Junior User

scoobyvanjack is starting off with a positive reputation.
na na na na na na
rack and pinion

hi
any one out their find a way to add rack and pinion steering in an econoline?
svj
Old 09-02-2013, 09:52 PM
Freshman User

OGB is starting off with a positive reputation.
You got to be kidding as much as it is to rebuild a stock box,no one has put in a rack and pinion in a first gen econoline. I was hoping for some pics so I didn't have to reinvent the wheel oh whell I helped put one in a 55 ford pu years ago should be about the same . . . maybe
Old 09-03-2013, 03:26 PM

Beechkid is a splendid one to beholdBeechkid is a splendid one to beholdBeechkid is a splendid one to beholdBeechkid is a splendid one to beholdBeechkid is a splendid one to beholdBeechkid is a splendid one to behold
Well, if you are doing it just to say I have it ok...if its for ease of steering, turning radius, performance...Hmmm, no.....it will actually increase the turning radius and does nothing in the performance arena.
Old 09-04-2013, 08:17 AM
Freshman User

So I have your permission? . . . I was looking at cost and keeping my hands busy. Sense my box is selfdestrucking I'll guaranty the steering will be easier. It may or may not turn sharper depending on what rack I use. Plus the option of power steering if I want (I don't). Other sites have recommended a Toyota previa or VW Vanagan because of the location of the steering column in relation to the axle, the Toyota uses a 90 degree box to change the direction of the steering column. Apparently the column is in front of the axle and the rack is behind the axle like ours not sure of the the VW setup. At the local pull a part part would be about $120 (steering column, rack and 90 degree box)
Old 09-04-2013, 05:31 PM

Beechkid is a splendid one to beholdBeechkid is a splendid one to beholdBeechkid is a splendid one to beholdBeechkid is a splendid one to beholdBeechkid is a splendid one to beholdBeechkid is a splendid one to behold
Look, I did not mean to imply you need a "permission" to accomplish this but, I was assuming you wanted something that would not only be doable 9which it is) but be effective as well.....if I may suggest, you can get the oem steering box rebuild kit (including fast steering which would reduce the number of turns by about 20%) by these guys at less than what you are looking to spend on used parts....

Classic Mustang Disc Brake Conversions and Power Steering

While they are not experts per say on the Econo's, I would bet they would have some very good advise on part selection and may even have something that would work with a higher degree of success, etc.
Old 09-06-2013, 05:59 PM
Senior User

EmilBarnabas is starting off with a positive reputation.
Some have tried a Mustang II font axle. I read somewhere that a VW van axle fit real nice. Search for it.
Old 09-23-2013, 06:39 PM
Senior User

Roger Carter is starting off with a positive reputation.
Before you get too far along on your r&p conversion, I suggest you look up the term "bump steer".

Roger Carter
Old 09-23-2013, 06:59 PM
Freshman User

If the rack was mounted to the front axle it would eliminate the bump steer problem. The shaft from the 90 degree box to the rack would have to be a sliding shaft with universal at both ends. The location of the rack would be approximately where the tie rod is now. Still in thinking stage (no cash) but that's what I invision. If I get the parts from local pull a part and fab brackets I should be able to put it together for half of what they want to rebuild a stock box.
Old 09-23-2013, 06:59 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Ford Vans and other vehicles > Ranchero & 1961 - 1967 Econoline