Sponsored by: DP Tuner

For Those Considering Big Exhaust!

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 01:29 PM
CSIPSD
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BadDogKuzz
Now I don't know if there is any truth to this but I have read that on a stock set up of guys going to a 5" thinking if 4" is good that 5" is better and ending up creating alittle turbo lag. Or making it a alittle doggy. And from reading what Roland just said maybe there is some truth to it. I don't know? Would this apply "reduces backpressure and hurts drive pressure at lower speeds" ??
Now I myself went with a 4" MBRP turbo back with flow thru muffler and I am very pleased with the sound and at that time I did see mileage improve about .5 to 1.0 mpg. And that was checking mileage by gallons used not the computer. Now my stock exhaust had a cat and muffler.
Originally Posted by CSIPSD
Back Pressure and Drive Pressure are the same thing...
Originally Posted by BadDogKuzz
Joe is there a point you are trying to make by pointing this out??? I may not be the sharpest tool in the shed but that was a QUESTION and a quote from what Roland had posted.
He said "Would this apply - Reduces back pressure and hurts drive pressure at lower speeds"...

This would lead one to believe that they are two seperate things... They are not, they are the same thing...

Drive Pressure is Back Pressure...

Old 03-18-2012, 01:43 PM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
He said "Would this apply - Reduces back pressure and hurts drive pressure at lower speeds"...

This would lead one to believe that they are two seperate things... They are not, they are the same thing...

I agree with you to a point because isn't one factor the cause and the other the effect ? Yes there are the same but doesn't it depend on what side of the turbine wheel that pressure is as far as what it is called?? I don't know??
Actually as I try to think this though it is back pressure before it gets to the turbine wheel. Then when that pressure is in the turbine wheel it is drive pressure. Then as that pressure leaves the turbine wheel it is again back pressure. And please correct me if I am wrong. And I am sure you will. And for the sake of learning goes thanks for your input.
Sorry about the

Old 03-18-2012, 01:50 PM
F250_
Hotshot
Received 199 Likes on 107 Posts
There is NO POINT where a 5" exhaust will cause any benifit... The outlet of MOST turbos is less then 4"...

1000hp 7.3 powerstroke runs a 4" down pipe...

Well... there are those who would call the difference in sound from a 5" exhaust a "benefit"... just saying (no other point intended or implied).

Old 03-18-2012, 01:52 PM
mueckster
Lead Driver
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Go back and reread my original post. The second sentence states that they are the same.

Old 03-18-2012, 03:09 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
There is NO POINT where a 5" exhaust will cause any benifit... The outlet of MOST turbos is less then 4"...

1000hp 7.3 powerstroke runs a 4" down pipe...
With all humility and respect to CSIPSD, I must respond to this for the sake of accurately conveying useful information to the readers.

A common garden spigot has a 1/2" pipe feeding it, usually as a spur from a larger common pipe. Put a 1/2" garden hose100' long on the spigot at full flow, then swap it out for a 3/4" garden hose 100' long - you'll see a difference in flow out the nozzle. Now, take 1/2" garden hose 3' long and a 3/4" garden hose 3' long and you won't see squat for difference - except the distance the water ejects out the nozzle. One of the many ways I get my geek on.

Going to a 4" downpipe and going big on the rest, or going 5" downpipe (if possible) will make a difference with big CFM numbers. Bends count as restrictions, and there are plenty of those under a truck. Larger diameter pipe will compensate for restrictive bends, plus don't forget the muffler. There is also a point to be made that I've stated in order to justify the 5", mega-mods are needed - and that dink of a turbo ain't gunna stay with a mega-mod.

I'm just sayin'

Old 03-18-2012, 04:14 PM
CSIPSD
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Tugly
With all humility and respect to CSIPSD, I must respond to this for the sake of accurately conveying useful information to the readers.

A common garden spigot has a 1/2" pipe feeding it, usually as a spur from a larger common pipe. Put a 1/2" garden hose100' long on the spigot at full flow, then swap it out for a 3/4" garden hose 100' long - you'll see a difference in flow out the nozzle. Now, take 1/2" garden hose 3' long and a 3/4" garden hose 3' long and you won't see squat for difference - except the distance the water ejects out the nozzle. One of the many ways I get my geek on.

Going to a 4" downpipe and going big on the rest, or going 5" downpipe (if possible) will make a difference with big CFM numbers. Bends count as restrictions, and there are plenty of those under a truck. Larger diameter pipe will compensate for restrictive bends, plus don't forget the muffler. There is also a point to be made that I've stated in order to justify the 5", mega-mods are needed - and that dink of a turbo ain't gunna stay with a mega-mod.

I'm just sayin'
With all due respect, I think you need to get out more...

Here are some pictures of the 19cm housing I have for my H2e... I have not installed it because I just dont care but it is a housing that on a modded H2e is capable of about 650-700hp as a single.

So tell me what size turbo has a larger then 4" outlet... Only thing I can think of is LARGE secondary turbos that would be used in a twin set up...

I'll repeat myself, since it got missed the first time...

THERE IS NO POINT IN WHICH A 5" EXHAUST IS NEEDED.

Old 03-18-2012, 04:43 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Here are some pictures of the 19cm housing I have for my H2e... I have not installed it because I just dont care but it is a housing that on a modded H2e is capable of about 650-700hp as a single.

So tell me what size turbo has a larger then 4" outlet... Only thing I can think of is LARGE secondary turbos that would be used in a twin set up...

I'll repeat myself, since it got missed the first time...

THERE IS NO POINT IN WHICH A 5" EXHAUST IS NEEDED.
I see in your photo that the outlet on your turbo is 3 1/2" in diameter. By the logic you've proclaimed here, my 1/2" hose comparison holds no merit, and a 4" exhaust would be a waste of money on a 650-700HP diesel engine because it's bigger than the turbo outlet.

I won't say you're wrong, incorrect, or mistaken - I just made my case and you made yours. The readers now have mulitple sources of input and observations to consider when making their purchasing decisions. Thank you for contributing to the thread, it's all useful information.

Old 03-18-2012, 05:12 PM
danskool
Go Bills !
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
I am not master or claim to be, and hardly ever get into debates. But i would think:

If the fan had an output of 4" and a 100 foot run of 4" pvc pipe. The pipe run(distance) would be the restricting factor.. The air would bottle neck because it would run out of power to continue its journey the rest of the way and have to be "pushed" Using a 5" pvc or 6". Would be lesser a restriction. That is why Fans have specs on min size and max distance, As such of a dryer vent. Or Sub pump. before they loose efficiency.

Same principles in running ac/furnace duct work i believe. I would think the question would be what would be the max length of the exhaust pipe before you start restricting

Heck, almost not quite the same thing with electrical wire.. 10 gauge 30amp? But what if 5000 foot long run?

So i would think, 5" exhaust is better than 4" Lessening the restriction (length of pipe)

Old 03-18-2012, 05:19 PM
dn29626
Cargo Master
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
What is the going price of a 4" exhaust?

Old 03-18-2012, 05:46 PM
danskool
Go Bills !
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Did some other reading.
4" is plenty for up to 500 hp.
Shown that 5" looses some torque and slight Hp drop. at different RPM's.

Exhaust, Ah, A whole science in itself. If you going to be through money at the tail end of the exhaust, There is a point of wasting money without throwing money in the air intake side.

I have a 4" in my future. But that is it. Just to help a bit from towing. I don't have any mods on the intake side except a 6647.

Old 03-18-2012, 05:50 PM
CSIPSD
Postmaster
4" is plenty for 1000hp... Dont know why that is so hard to understand. The only reason to go with a 5" system is sound.

Old 03-18-2012, 05:56 PM
WA_PSD
Tuned
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Tugly
I am not an expert on these trucks, nor am I a certified mechanic - so factor that into my statements here. I am a trained observer with AE and a sharp eye on my gauges while doing specific things on the same 45-mile drive to/from work every day.

I'm still collecting AE data after installing a 4" turbo-back exhaust with a Flo-Pro 6192 muffler, but I have one stark observation to share (80e Tune, red line disconnected, mods in sig.)
  • Stock WOT - boost leaps to 20 PSI and slowly climbs to 27 PSI as RPMs build (27 is max because wastegate bleeds excess).
  • 4" WOT - boost leaps to 27 PSI right freaking now and stays there.
My understanding of this - The stock exhaust was engineered for a peak boost of 17 PSI, so free flow up to 20 PSI boost makes sense. After 20 PSI boost, it takes a lot of pressure to overcome the flow restrictions imposed on the turbo drive turbine.

Increasing the exhaust diameter from 3.5" to 4" may make one feel like saying "Big whoop - only a 1/2 inch increase. I want more". Our friend pi reveals how much change 1/2" really is. The formula for measuring area in a circle is pi R squared. In casual terms, the area in a 4" pipe is 31% larger than a 3.5" pipe. Add that 31% to 20 PSI and you end up very close to 27 PSI. The exhaust math really applies to the drive side of the turbo, but the boost side is the one with the gauge - so I'm using that as a reference.

The 4" exhaust (with the correct non-restricing muffler) is "tuned" to give my truck the maximum performance, without being overkill. The only reason I can see for going bigger than 4" exhaust is if I wanted more than 27 PSI boost, but I would need to mega-mod the truck. Bigger sticks, more intake air than the AIS provides, bigger turbo, eliminate the wastegate altogether, bigger HPOP, more tuning, BTS or JW transmission, and the list goes on. That ain't gunna happen over here.

If you're looking for a 5" exhaust, why stop there? Go 12"... if size matters. If sound is the thing, ask who likes the sound of the 5". If towing EGTs are a concern, I don't have that info. If performance is the goal, the extra inch won't do a bit more good until you really pony up - in more ways than one.

$0.02

Tugly, what is red line disconnect?

Old 03-18-2012, 05:58 PM
Nicmike
Veteran/Sheepdog

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts
I went with 5" because I got it and a 4" downpipe for $75...so there is another reason besides sound!
My truck absolutely runs better now than stock.

Mike

Old 03-18-2012, 06:51 PM
Pitcrw6
Logistics Pro
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Hey Ed, I hope you keep the cat when you changed your exhaust out.

Old 03-18-2012, 08:17 PM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by robbragiel
Hey Ed, I hope you keep the cat when you changed your exhaust out.
Oh yea I kept the cat because at some point the wonderful state of Indiana might make me put it back on. CYA I also kept the down pipe just incase someone might need it.

Quick Reply: For Those Considering Big Exhaust!