Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Regional Chapters > Western Region > Oregon Chapter
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Oregon Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: Fabmandelux

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-17-2012, 08:08 PM
Junior User

PDXF250 is starting off with a positive reputation.
f250 83 7.5 (won't start now)

Here's the skinny on my beast.

1983, F250 7.5, automatic.

It wouldn't pass through DEQ, wrong carb.

Replaced carb. Ran fine. But not having tags, I didn't drive it. But I know it ran fine. As it's not my main driver, I haven't necessarily been too concerned about it.

I had a mechanic adjust the carb, and it ran strong. Moved it out into the street probably a month ago (?). It has plenty of gas, and sits in the street nose down.

Today i decided I would try to start it. It turns over plenty fast, but doesn't catch.

If I put starter fluid in it, it will turn over and catch and run until it dies when the starter fluid obviously dies off.

I'm wondering if it's a fuel pump or fuel filter issue. The filter occasionally hums when I start (and sometimes will stay humming after i turn off the truck), but mostly doesn't hum.

Earlier, when I was fixing the truck (from a previous operation) I tried replacing the fuel pump (?) solenoid (? I think thats the name...little green box in the engine compartment), but that didn't make a lick of difference.

I think once I get the beast fixed, passed through DEQ, I'm going to sell it. It's not like I dislike the truck, it just turned out I don't need it like I thought I would.

Any suggestions (from my vague descriptions)?

I'm hoping it's fuel pump, because it would make sense. Could it be the sending unit? I know both my tanks barely read accurate (and I just remembered that the previous owner said that when the truck is using the BACK tank, that it would not work great on a hill unless you had a majority of a tank in it).
dan
Old 03-18-2012, 10:05 PM
Post Fiend

Brown Falcon is a name known to allBrown Falcon is a name known to allBrown Falcon is a name known to allBrown Falcon is a name known to allBrown Falcon is a name known to allBrown Falcon is a name known to all
Easy way to test the fuel pump (I'm assuming it's electric since it hums) would be to disconnect the fuel line and stick it into a bucket or something to catch the fuel, then have someone turn on the key to see if it's pumping...
'95 F350 CC 4x4 Powerstroke - GONE but not forgotten
Old 03-18-2012, 10:05 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Regional Chapters > Western Region > Oregon Chapter