Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-02-2014, 05:31 AM
New User

Disament is starting off with a positive reputation.
The temp spread stays around 10* on highway. Honestly I cannot answer the question with entire accuracy.

In town with stop and go and "semi-rural" the spread is about 6* and often times less.

I'm hard on the X at times and am so on purpose to test the vehicle…I need to know my vehicles own failure points, weaknesses, etc. that need to be addressed as the second owner.

The SCT LiveWire (stock tune) is set to Performance and the max boost I have seen is 33.xx psi (once).

I want to clarify that I drive it just like I drive any other vehicle I own (regardless of it's size) within the laws of physics.

There has been absolutely no drag racing or anything of that nature but I do feel the need to stress the drivetrain, in my case anyway.
2010 Wrangler Unlimited - Too Many Mods - Minivan Engine
Old 03-25-2014, 09:56 PM
New User

Champer11 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Same thing happening to me.

I made myself a pressure tester and T'd it into the coolant line.

WOT going up hills the pressure will spike to 16 and then fall back down once the cap releases.

Thinking head gaskets.

My temp deltas have always been spot on, <5 degrees while not towing.
Old 03-26-2014, 12:50 PM
Senior User

billbot is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Champer11 View Post
Same thing happening to me.

I made myself a pressure tester and T'd it into the coolant line.

WOT going up hills the pressure will spike to 16 and then fall back down once the cap releases.

Thinking head gaskets.

My temp deltas have always been spot on, <5 degrees while not towing.
My first thought would be HGs too. IIRC EGR cooler failure will be a more gradual increase in pressure, not a spike like you described.

Look on the bright side, now you can get your truck studded.
Old 03-26-2014, 04:23 PM
Junior User

mlytc is starting off with a positive reputation.
Just noticed the telltale white residue around my degas cap. Took it off and when I put it back on it doesn't click when it gets tight, just a kind of thump instead. I put new HGs on it and had it studded less than 40k ago, sure am hoping its just a bad degas cap. If not, I don't see doing HGs again since the heads were replaced under warranty at 95k and I studded them, replaced the gaskets and did the EGR delete at 165k and I am now at 203k and it is venting again.
Not to mention replacing all 8 injectors at 197k because they were allowing fuel to seep into the oil and causing shutdowns.
Old 03-26-2014, 05:21 PM
Senior User

billbot is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlytc View Post
Just noticed the telltale white residue around my degas cap. Took it off and when I put it back on it doesn't click when it gets tight, just a kind of thump instead. I put new HGs on it and had it studded less than 40k ago, sure am hoping its just a bad degas cap. If not, I don't see doing HGs again since the heads were replaced under warranty at 95k and I studded them, replaced the gaskets and did the EGR delete at 165k and I am now at 203k and it is venting again.
Not to mention replacing all 8 injectors at 197k because they were allowing fuel to seep into the oil and causing shutdowns.
Yeah I'd suspect the cap. I'd replace the bottle too if it is old. If the sealing surface is uneven you will get leaks too.
Old 03-26-2014, 05:39 PM
Junior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by billbot View Post
Yeah I'd suspect the cap. I'd replace the bottle too if it is old. If the sealing surface is uneven you will get leaks too.
Bottle was replaced when I did the injectors and I talked to the guy that did the work and he doesn't remember putting a new cap on it. I'm hoping the old cap is the issue. If not, it's going through the Monday night "as-is" line at the auction.
Old 03-26-2014, 07:03 PM
Post Fiend

bismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputation
Make sure the cold coolant level is correct and carefully inspect the surface where the cap seals against degas bottle - sand it smooth if needed. I assume you are confident that the concentration is between 50% and 60%?
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARP studs;OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Ball joints;Coolant filter;High-Idle mod;RACCCV6000;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;SynchroMax xfer case;Fumoto valve;Harpooned;CPOhighwayProducts toolbox;tracrac;Fox Weatherboots;Wet Okole Seat Covers;BriteBox;Re-flashed;Quadzilla Recon XZT Fuel Press;Blue FPR spring;DashDAQ;PHP FICM;RiffRaff boots;DCPower250A;PowerInverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;One-piece HPOP fitting;D-plugs&standpipes;BPD BilletWaterPump;SCT w/ Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra;DuraTracs
Old 03-26-2014, 09:31 PM
Junior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bismic View Post
Make sure the cold coolant level is correct and carefully inspect the surface where the cap seals against degas bottle - sand it smooth if needed. I assume you are confident that the concentration is between 50% and 60%?
To be totally honest, I'm not sure of anything at this point. Going to change the cap, sand as needed and check the concentration percentage and go from there.
Old 03-26-2014, 10:03 PM
Posting Guru

78fordman is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.78fordman is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Get a pressure gauge and t it in. That is the best way to determine hg failure.

Sent from my leash using IB AutoGroup
1970 f-100 2wd, c-6, 425hp 390, 3.90 w/ minispool
2006 five hundred 3.0 DOHC w/ CVT
Old 04-03-2014, 05:21 PM
Junior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bismic View Post
I have just stumbled across the recommendation that the coolant level be kept at the minimum mark on the degas bottle. I have been keeping it at least halfway between the two or a little closer to the max level. Now that it has puked some out, I am going to hook up tomorrow and stress it again and see if it continues to puke. Maybe this is why I am not getting any other signs of failure. Grasping at straws I know, but...
Old 06-26-2014, 12:44 AM
New User

Wheatted is starting off with a positive reputation.
Bismic - that was an informative systematic description. Thanks for starting the thread. I will be referring to it again. Do you know if there is such a description on performing the coolant flush (pre-work on EGR Delete) on this website? Why is this so important as I have seen it recommended by others?

Oh oh. Found the cooling system flush too. Thx.
Wheatted

Last edited by Wheatted; 06-26-2014 at 12:53 AM. Reason: Noticed answer in different thread
Old 06-26-2014, 01:29 AM
Post Fiend

Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.
You want to make sure to do the flush before you replace an oil cooler.
UNLESS it has failed. Coolant and oil are bad juju. If you only have a bad EGR
cooler the "BEST" way is replace the cooler and do the flush then do the oil cooler.
The oil cooler acts like a filter and all the crap that a flush kicks loose will plug
up any cooler. that is why if you can plug the old one up and toss it.

Sean Click the image to open in full size.
6.0l Forum Map : Ask me About It
Old 06-26-2014, 01:10 PM
New User

Bordeauxman is starting off with a positive reputation.
Where can I find this: Snap-on RADKITPLUSA 078-00592 and what exactly does it do?
Old 06-26-2014, 03:07 PM
Post Fiend

Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.
Does not have to be a Snap-On tool.
Any vacuum assist fill tool will do the job/

What it does is put the cooling sustem into
a vacuum by way of a Venturi in the line.
Then you open a valve that goes to a bucket
of what you putting in. The big thing is when
under a vacuum any air bubble is expanded and
when you remove the vacuum it shrinks and that
way you have less trapped air in the system.

Sean Click the image to open in full size.
6.0l Forum Map : Ask me About It
Old 06-26-2014, 03:07 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel

Tags
1997, 350, antifreeze, coolant, cooler, degas, deleted, egr, f250, ford, ground, leaking, system, troubleshooting, work