Sponsored by: Moser

2012 F-150 SuperCrew Order

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 04:58 PM
sranderle
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 F-150 SuperCrew Order

I'm looking at ordering a 2012 F-150 Lariat SuperCrew HD Payload setup. I think I have everything figured out.

Dark Blue Pearl w/ Pale Adobe
HD Payload
Max Tow
Leather trimmed bucket seats

Running Boards?? Are the Ford options any good? Order from local parts instead of factory build?

One question, though. What are the radio options? I am not getting the Nav radio. Does the 6-disc changer add anything other than the changer? From what I can tell, there isn't a radio quality upgrade available.

Aftermarket
Topper
Spray-in liner/rubber mat or BedTred

Any other feedback on this truck? Good/bad/wish you would have?

Thanks

Last edited by sranderle; 03-16-2012 at 06:32 PM. Reason: correct model
Old 03-16-2012, 06:03 PM
Tonyplane
New User
I ordered the lariat interior package on mine and really glad I did. The power folding mirrors are great when pulling up to an ATM, and going into the garage. The review camera is now what I would consider a must have for any future truck. I also ordered the tailgate step and have found it to a lot easier to get into the bed, and also safer especially with the tailgate down with a wet bumper corner to step onto. I did not have the option to order a 6 CD changer, when I ordered my 2012 f250.
Love my SD. Now have 1200 miles on it. Fit, finish, paint and systems all first class.

Old 03-16-2012, 10:06 PM
Greg B
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The Ford cab steps are ok. They aren't any better than aftermarket, but not any worse. I have a rubber bed mat in my truck and it has served me well. (Same mat in 4 different trucks) I had to trim it to fit in the newer F150 bed, but it still work fine. Next truck will get a new mat. The 6 disc option just adds the changer, nothing else.

Old 03-16-2012, 11:48 PM
sranderle
Junior User
I was reading brochures again tonight, and it mentions a Sony Audio system with 6 disc changer available as an option on Lariats. I don't see any 'Sony' option to add within Build & Price.

Is this something different from the base stereo, or is the base stereo made by Sony?

How well does the USB flash drive work on these units? What type of files will it read?

How about tires? I would prefer Michelin LTX A/T2 or M/S2. Worth the upgrade with a dealer 'credit' for the OEM tires?

Just trying to tie up every loose end before spending a big chunk of change.

Old 03-17-2012, 07:27 PM
Greg B
Postmaster
Not sure who makes Ford's audio systems. As far as I can tell there isn't any difference in sound quality by adding the 6 disc changer. I have no knowledge about the USB flash drive. The tires you are probably at the mercy of your dealer.

Old 03-19-2012, 09:02 PM
sranderle
Junior User
I built this tonight at the dealer. I will probably submit for build later this week.

2012 F-150 XLT SuperCrew
Golden Bronze Metallic with Pale Adobe interior
EcoBoost 3.5L V6
157" Wheelbase
3.73 Ltd Slip Diff
HD Payload Package (8200#)
Max Tow Package
XLT Convenience Package
XLT Plus Package
Cloth Bucket Seats

The only thing I noticed on the test drive tonight was that the arm rests on the door and center console were a bit 'stiff'. I don't know if a Lariat has softer materials or not. Either way, for the extra $3k, I doubt it is worth it. I could always get a thin gel pad or something.

I'm still trying to decide on running boards, but will add them afterwards. I like the FX4 boards. But I don't think the gray or chrome 6" angular boards will look good on Golden Bronze. I'm looking for black ones. Luvurne O-Megas look nice.

Other aftermarket addditions will be WeatherTech Digital mats, a BedRug, and a Leer 100RCC topper with solid side doors.

Looking into what to cover a piece of plywood with so that the surface becomes non-slide (topper bed shelf).

Anyone figured out a good use of the space between the center console and the lower dash on an XLT?

Old 03-19-2012, 09:39 PM
Lady Fitzgerald
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
From what I can see, the 6 CD changer now adds a subwoofer on the floor under the back seat. My '08 XLT has the 6 CD changer but it doesn't have the subwoofer. Two things (there are others) Ford has done to tick me off is limiting the 6 CD changer to the Lariats and adding the subwoofer. What's the point of a flat, unobstructed floor if they are going to slap a big speaker box on it?

Old 03-20-2012, 10:46 AM
sranderle
Junior User
Has anyone bought and installed a set of the SuperDuty power-fold/extend trailer tow mirrors and switch on an F-150? That is one major flaw in this truck, folding more than extension.

Old 03-20-2012, 06:59 PM
Greg B
Postmaster
SD power fold mirrors won't fit. I have my CB radio between the center console and lower instrument panel mounted on the console. When travelling, I'll put a small box there to hold my thermos and some snacks.

Old 03-20-2012, 09:37 PM
sranderle
Junior User
Has anyone had some custom interior work done to an XLT to add some level of padding to the two door arm rests and the console top? The Lariat, and I believe the FX4, have a much nicer finished surface. That was the first thing I noticed when I got in to drive the XLT. I will talk to some upholstery shops this week.

I'm also going back and forth on engine, EcoBoost and 5.0. I've been doing a lot of reading on forums, and know to take everything with a grain of salt. But I'm seeing some threads on issues with the EcoBoost and Ford not having fixes. I do not want to pay this much for a truck and end up being a beta tester without a vehicle. I will talk with my local service manager this week.

I wish the 2013 info was out. I would really like to be able to order an FX4 HD. My son agrees.

Basically, I just don't want to make a mistake after spending this much money.

Old 03-21-2012, 11:37 PM
sranderle
Junior User
One more question, .

This truck will have to be parked outside in MN. Any recommendations for full-time outside parking? It will come with an engine block heater for the winter months (or month this past winter).

Old 03-22-2012, 03:39 PM
Greg B
Postmaster
I leave my 06 outside year round and have had no problems. I would recommend a good waxing a couple of times a year, non-glare protectant for the instrument panel such as McQuirs Natural Shine Protectant, and a good rodent repellant. I have a chipmunk that loves my truck. Doesn't seem to bother with the cars, but loves the truck. I live in northern Indiana. Winters aren't quite as long, but sometimes just as harsh.

Old 03-22-2012, 05:53 PM
SHOpar
Senior User
Originally Posted by sranderle
I would really like to be able to order an FX4 HD. My son agrees.
I agree as well! I was all set to buy a SCREW FX4 Eco until I saw how woeful the payload capacity was. With the tongue weight of my trailer, I would have been at max payload with the trailer hitched up and two people in the truck. That's before adding the firewood, generator, dog, and other stuff.

I optioned out a HD SCREW Lariat and was blown away at the cost. Now I'm thinking I might just dive all the way in and order a Lariat F350 SCREW PSD, as the rebates are pretty good on those right now and I bet I could get into one for no more than $5K more than a F150 HD Lariat.

A friend of mine just picked up his SCAB Raptor he ordered in November on Tuesday and that is one nice truck! Makes me want a new truck even more!

Old 03-22-2012, 07:47 PM
smokewagun
Cargo Master
Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts
SHOpar, I've been there. You will be over $8,000 different between a Lariat Screw and a Lariat 350, and that is with a loaded Screw and a basic 350.

Old 03-23-2012, 12:29 AM
SHOpar
Senior User
Originally Posted by smokewagun
SHOpar, I've been there. You will be over $8,000 different between a Lariat Screw and a Lariat 350, and that is with a loaded Screw and a basic 350.
You sure about that? I just did a "Build and Price" on both a F150 SCREW Eco Lariat and a F350 SCREW PSD Lariat, and the price difference between the two optioned they way I'd want is $8,140 before taking into account any of the current incentives Ford is offering. At that point, the $8,140 price difference is basically the premium for the diesel option on the Super Duty.

I priced an identical F350 SCREW 6.2 Lariat, and the difference between it and the F150 SCREW Lariat is a mere $2,170. You're telling me I can a get a basically identically optioned, but much more capable truck for $2,170 more? I realize the 6.2 in a F350 would suck the gas compared to an Eco F150, but it doesn't make sense to go the F150 route if you truly need the capacity of an F350 and can get it for only $2,170 more.

Me, I'd pay the $5K premium for the diesel option over the 6.2 mainly for the fun factor of the 400 hp/800 ft-lbs of torque, not to mention the improved fuel economy of the diesel. Everything I've been reading about the diesel 6.7 is that guys are averaging 20+ mpg on the highway unloaded and about 12 mpg towing big 5th wheels, which seems to slightly exceed the mileage reports of the F150 Eco empty and puts to shame the mileage reports of the F150 Eco when loaded down...

Quick Reply: 2012 F-150 SuperCrew Order