1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

Need Help Front Shocks on 1994 E-250

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 03:11 PM
kevin-11
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Need Help Front Shocks on 1994 E-250

Hey I have a 94 E-250 that I am trying to replace the shocks on. Did the rears and they were tough but got them done. I am having a problem getting the top nut off the front shocks. very tight space and cant fit a socket over it no room to turn and stem of shock is to long for socket. I know there must be an easier way to get this done? Heated the bottom nuts and got them off, just stumped on how to do the tops

Old 03-15-2012, 06:51 PM
critterf1
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A 'blue-wrench" is usually the best/easiest solution.

Old 03-15-2012, 07:32 PM
blageurt
Fleet Mechanic
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
cut off the nut / shaft with a saws-all.....

Old 03-15-2012, 11:17 PM
kevin-11
Senior User
Exclamation

OK thanks for responses. First there is no room for a saws all and also once you have it cut off you still would need a wrench to tighten. Now what is a 'Blue Wrench" ? There is alot of room on my 95 E-150 to get to the shocks. But for some reason (Heavier Suspension ?) There is just so little room to work on the tops. Thanks

Old 03-16-2012, 04:43 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,391 Likes on 1,100 Posts
a "blue tipped wrench" is slang for cutting torch!

Anyone trying to change shocks on our E Vans faces this same thing---nearly impossible tight spaces on the top studs, front or rear regardless the suspension. A Sawzall with 9" metal cutting blade tends to be long enough for the rears--fronts you may need to remove the tire for enough access room.

Depending on the brand or construction of the shocks some cutting will probably be necessary since its difficult and time consuming trying to loosen and unthread the front top nuts. If you remove a front tire remember your jack stands for support and safety!

This is a tough task no matter how you approach it-----we've all been there, done that and probably equally amazed how something so simple turns into such a challenge.

Old 03-16-2012, 07:40 AM
PStruwing
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Up here in the rust belt I have always used a saw or Blue "Wench" to the shocks out!

Old 03-17-2012, 07:06 PM
Driton
New User
I havent checked in since last Saturday,but i ran across this today on my own truck changing the front shocks (1995 e-350 club wagon). I used a medium deep socket on it,but i had to hammer the metal above the shock and then wedged the ratchet in there by way of small sledgehammer lol...Took me 45 minutes to finagle this mess,then the bottom shock bolt snapped (major rust throughout),so now i need a shock bolt. So i could only get one side done today .
Gonna sawzall the other side tomorrow and save myself the hassle.
Thanks for the tips guys

I did manage to install the top bolt though,and it took 5 minutes just to hammer and pry the ratchet out from the shock stud.

Old 07-24-2014, 06:47 PM
Steve in NC
Junior User
Glad you all are here. Would like to revive this thread.

I'm changing 4 shocks on my 1999 E250. Monroe Gas Matic.

Thanks for confirming use of a Sawzall to remove the rear top bolts - they are tight and will use the Sawzall.

Here's my question - when removing the old shocks do I remove the OEM rubber grommets ? They seem to be in there pretty good.

In all honesty because they didn't drop out --- on the front I left them in. With the new front shock (top pin) I added the Monroe washer and lower grommet - added the top washer only - not enough room on the threaded pin for the new grommet and OEM grommet. Just have the OEM grommet.

All compressed and tightened well.

I'll redo if advised - or can I leave it ?

The rear I'm doing tomorrow - remove the OEM grommets ?

Thanks a lot.

Steve

Old 07-25-2014, 05:59 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,391 Likes on 1,100 Posts
Replace any existing grommet or washer that comes with the new shocks. Good advice is to use liberal dabs of a marine-type grease or something silicone based to lube those grommets/bushings.

I would guess its acceptable to use an old grommet/bushing assuming you don't run out of stud threads before the shock is firmly mounted and secured in place. So far with my Bilstein's using their grommets/bushings, washers and nuts there have been no issues as you describe SteveNC.

Same with the rears---if you can fit the new grommets/bushings & washers use them---if not check the shock nuts after a few hundred miles, making sure they're still tight to the cross member.

Old 07-25-2014, 04:04 PM
Steve in NC
Junior User
Thanks for the advice.

Just did the rear today. Had to cut the top stud on both.

The OEM grommets seemed like 1 pc as top/bottom rotated together. I left them in. They're solid.

Used 1 new bushing under the cross member with washer. Only about 1/8" OEM rubber when compressed so added one there. Only OEM grommet on top of the cross member. Not enough stud to add new grommet.

Old 09-13-2017, 10:09 PM
David Rowbotham
New User
Originally Posted by kevin-11
Hey I have a 94 E-250 that I am trying to replace the shocks on. Did the rears and they were tough but got them done. I am having a problem getting the top nut off the front shocks. very tight space and cant fit a socket over it no room to turn and stem of shock is to long for socket. I know there must be an easier way to get this done? Heated the bottom nuts and got them off, just stumped on how to do the tops
get er done. The driver side front is easily accessible through a small hole under the carpet or mat. A 15 mm boxed in 12 point wrench slides right on top of the long bolt that is nearly impossible to access from underneath the vehicle. Have somebody else hold that while you go directly under the housing plate and loosen the 11/16 bolt. Normally we just cut them in half

Old 09-14-2017, 10:55 AM
vettex2
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I was looking at getting a plasma cutter
Home Depot has one for 200.00

Old 09-15-2017, 06:30 PM
jeffreyclay
Elder User
just some food for thought. In doing my front shocks I used those sockets that fit inside the rachet. It slipped down over the top bolt and layed in the upper arm while I loosened the shaft by the flats they have.

Old 09-16-2017, 07:43 PM
wiskeyVI
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
what brand is that set??

Old 09-18-2017, 06:44 AM
jeffreyclay
Elder User
Originally Posted by wiskeyVI
what brand is that set??
I got mine at Harbor Freight, picture is theirs.

Quick Reply: Need Help Front Shocks on 1994 E-250