Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-15-2012, 02:13 AM
Posting Guru

BadDogKuzz is a splendid one to beholdBadDogKuzz is a splendid one to beholdBadDogKuzz is a splendid one to beholdBadDogKuzz is a splendid one to beholdBadDogKuzz is a splendid one to beholdBadDogKuzz is a splendid one to beholdBadDogKuzz is a splendid one to behold
Any one running a Turbo Master w.g. actuator

I just finished building a E99 turbo with a 1.0 w.g.turbine housing, hi flow outlet. I had bought a used turbo that had the 1.0 w.g.turbine housing, hi flow outlet and Turbo Master w.g. actuator on it and as I took it apart to throw a rebuild kit in it I found some strange chatter marks on the thrust bearing so I took my digital caliper and started measuring the bearing and turbine shaft and found the turbine shaft was worn on the turbine wheel side (Over boosted) so then I measure my old turbine shaft and it was better than the other one. I also ended up using my old compressor wheel w.w. And by the way I had used a K&N drop in with the stock air box wired close tight. 205k on stock air filter and K&N and no dusting !! I really would like a AIS. The other one looked sand blasted.I also used my compressor housing and backing plate which I had done a little sanding, polishing and painted the outside too.

Once again a SIMPLE project turned into a all day job !! I also tried to find specs on turbine shaft couldn't find them. Tried to find a phone # for Garrett tech line none to be found ! So I made do with a handful of used parts and a rebuild kit from Bob at Diesel Oring. So now now I have a turbo that is in specs. Not new but within specs and it only took me all day. Not including another 4 hrs sandblasting, painting, deburring, polishing and I used a ceramic coating type of paint on the turbine housing. 1300*-2000*

But now that I got that off my chest and I have vented. I have read that most guys that go to the bigger turbine housing are using Big Head actuators to keep the w.g. from coming open to soon. So since I have the Turbo Master w.g. actuator I was going to give it a try. The way I am looking at this thing is it really won't work as refined as the pcm driven w.g. actuator. But if I get it set correctly I will be able to hold my boost without bleed off and make sure it dumps it set point. So it will be somewhere between a van turbo/ non w.g. and a pcm driven w.g. actuator.
Ed PAA#121 "It's a sick world and I am a happy guy"
E99 F350 Lariat CC DRW 215k: 4" MBRP,up&down pipes coated/wrapped, bellows, T500, Kuzz4R100, TruCool, CCV with catch can, 50cent, E99 turbo/1.0 w.g.turbine, T.M. wastegate, EBPV delete,470-ohm, hutch/harpoon, A/C shim, K&N, Smoked lights

'76 E350 DRW/26' Holiday Ramber 460 4bl C6 : Autometer gauges
Old 03-15-2012, 08:56 AM
Posting Guru

honeydew has a very good reputation on FTE.honeydew has a very good reputation on FTE.honeydew has a very good reputation on FTE.honeydew has a very good reputation on FTE.
I've run one for a couple years and am happy with it. It is easy to set at the desired peak boost level. There are some posts explaining how the TM can reduce MPG, can't recall the details. I've had no problems with it and get pretty good MPG. My stock actuator was holding the the WG open slightly at all times so the TM provided a nice improvement (as any new actuator would have).
Old 03-15-2012, 04:39 PM
Posting Guru

BadDogKuzz is a splendid one to beholdBadDogKuzz is a splendid one to beholdBadDogKuzz is a splendid one to beholdBadDogKuzz is a splendid one to beholdBadDogKuzz is a splendid one to beholdBadDogKuzz is a splendid one to beholdBadDogKuzz is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by honeydew View Post
I've run one for a couple years and am happy with it. It is easy to set at the desired peak boost level. There are some posts explaining how the TM can reduce MPG, can't recall the details. I've had no problems with it and get pretty good MPG. My stock actuator was holding the the WG open slightly at all times so the TM provided a nice improvement (as any new actuator would have).
Travis thanks for your input and I am glad it works well for you. I was hoping that it would work the way it's advertized. My stock w.g. actuator never held boost well even after adjusting the rod. And if you think about it guy who pull the red hose off are only using spring tension to operate the w.g. but they have no adjust. Which I think on the Turbo Master that is a plus that you can adjust it. I am looking to set mine up for about 20-23 psi of boost. I am not looking to hot rod a e99 besides with a 1.0 housing and stock e99 injectors(130cc) I'll be lucky if I can get 20psi How much boost do you have your's set at.

And as far as a affecting mileage I don't see how. Maybe we are missing something. The only thing I could see is with more boost you might want to have more of a lead foot. I would think you would use more fuel with a stock w.g. actuator bleeding off your boost. Since when that happens you have to put your foot into the shinny pedal to get your boost back.
E99 F350 Lariat CC DRW 215k: 4" MBRP,up&down pipes coated/wrapped, bellows, T500, Kuzz4R100, TruCool, CCV with catch can, 50cent, E99 turbo/1.0 w.g.turbine, T.M. wastegate, EBPV delete,470-ohm, hutch/harpoon, A/C shim, K&N, Smoked lights

Old 03-15-2012, 06:16 PM
Posting Guru

honeydew has a very good reputation on FTE.honeydew has a very good reputation on FTE.honeydew has a very good reputation on FTE.honeydew has a very good reputation on FTE.
Memory was in fact fuzzy, the post I vaguely recalled quoted someone w/ MPG concerns but the post was about surge. Here it is:
Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums - View Single Post - Who is running a Turbo Master waste gate controller?

I'm not to worried about any of that, agree with your analysis, and don't mind generating "more boost than needed"
Old 03-15-2012, 07:19 PM
Postmaster

Bonanza35 has a very good reputation on FTE.Bonanza35 has a very good reputation on FTE.Bonanza35 has a very good reputation on FTE.
I don't have the TM wg but cursing down the road for long distances high boost is suppost to lower mpg according to Jody @ DP. If you don't have tunes 18 to 20 is about right for stock turbo E99. With tunes 22 or more depends on who's tunes I guess. Mine use to surg a round 22 to 23. I don't know what the 1.0 exhaust housing has to do with not holding your boost I have one with stock wg and it holds fine. I just set it up to open around ten to twelve pounds with a fish scale. It works prefect and know surg.

Chet
Old 03-15-2012, 08:00 PM
Posting Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeydew View Post
Memory was in fact fuzzy, the post I vaguely recalled quoted someone w/ MPG concerns but the post was about surge. Here it is:
Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums - View Single Post - Who is running a Turbo Master waste gate controller?

I'm not to worried about any of that, agree with your analysis, and don't mind generating "more boost than needed"
Great info
Thanks Travis Reps to you

Old 03-15-2012, 08:18 PM
Posting Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonanza35 View Post
I don't have the TM wg but cursing down the road for long distances high boost is suppost to lower mpg according to Jody @ DP. If you don't have tunes 18 to 20 is about right for stock turbo E99. With tunes 22 or more depends on who's tunes I guess. Mine use to surg a round 22 to 23. I don't know what the 1.0 exhaust housing has to do with not holding your boost I have one with stock wg and it holds fine. I just set it up to open around ten to twelve pounds with a fish scale. It works prefect and know surg.

Chet
Thanks Chet So with this info I think I'll start by setting it at 20-21psi I am going to have Jody flash my pcm with 60E tune until I can afford a F5 or F6 set up.
And maybe I worded it wrong as far as the 1.0 housing goes it is going to lower my drive pressure so I am not sure if I'll even be able to make 20psi of boost. But if I am able to spool up the 1.0 housing as my drive pressure rises I have heard that w.g. wants to open early. But will help with the egt's and I'll just have to figure out the rest as I go.

Old 09-19-2012, 10:33 AM
Posting Guru

Well I just thought I would revisit this tread with a update after running the Turbo Master. The Turbo Master works very well.

And since I went to a 1.0 turbine housing I am glad I have the T.M. since I am having a hard time to get it to spool up. Now mind you I am still running stock tunes and I still don't have a boost gauge. So I know the stock tunes are hurting my bottom end.

Before I went to the 1.0 housing and T.M. the wastegate would open at or before every shift and getting on the highway I would have to jump on it to get it up to cruising speed. With the .84 housing and stock w.g. actuator I would start making boost at about 1200 rpms and it would dump the boost about 2500 -2700 rpms. Now with the 1.0 housing and T.M. I don't start building boost until about 1500 rpms and will pull hard through the gears all the way to speed limit 92mph. Getting on the highway or cruising down the road now is nice and smooth, no more down shifts and have to build boost all over again. And that wasn't fun cruising down the highway. So with a 1.0 housing I feel the T.M. helps me from losing my drive pressure between shifts.

So after I get a boost gauge and tunes I'll post real #'s . I am very pleased with the Turbo Master it makes this turbo ALMOST feel like a non wastegated turbo minus the surge. I have the T.M. set to open before it surges but once in a blue moon when I am pulling under load I feel a little bit of surge. But at least with the Turbo Master I can adjust it unlike a non w.g. turbo where you have to just have to live it.

Old 09-19-2012, 10:39 AM
Posting Guru

Sorry forgot to post a better pic.
Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 09-19-2012, 11:07 AM
you can't fix stupid!

indyF-350psd is a splendid one to beholdindyF-350psd is a splendid one to beholdindyF-350psd is a splendid one to beholdindyF-350psd is a splendid one to beholdindyF-350psd is a splendid one to beholdindyF-350psd is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonanza35 View Post

Chet
no wonder i dont get good mpg's....i have a potty mouth!
Old 09-19-2012, 11:15 AM
you can't fix stupid!

indyF-350psd is a splendid one to beholdindyF-350psd is a splendid one to beholdindyF-350psd is a splendid one to beholdindyF-350psd is a splendid one to beholdindyF-350psd is a splendid one to beholdindyF-350psd is a splendid one to behold
i have never experienced surge with my h2e....love the fact its non wastegated....
Old 09-19-2012, 01:40 PM
Posting Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by indyF-350psd View Post
i have never experienced surge with my h2e....love the fact its non wastegated....
Bill I don't think I ever heard of anyone running a H2E having a surging problem. But I have seen many with a GTP38 and GTP38R having surging problems.

Hopefully someday I'll be able to afford a H2E set up and get rid of the E99 set up. But for now I would just be happy if I could get some tunes and regain my bottom end. That was one of the best things about the stock E99 it had a very strong bottom end, problem was it faded at about mid range. In stock form it was falling on it's face at top end or pulling my boat down the highway. But then again that is with stock tunes.

Old 09-19-2012, 11:50 PM
Postmaster

Bonanza35 has a very good reputation on FTE.Bonanza35 has a very good reputation on FTE.Bonanza35 has a very good reputation on FTE.
I thought you had your PCM flashed with 60E? That should of helped you out.

Chet
Old 09-20-2012, 12:00 AM
Postmaster

CSIPSD is a splendid one to beholdCSIPSD is a splendid one to beholdCSIPSD is a splendid one to beholdCSIPSD is a splendid one to beholdCSIPSD is a splendid one to beholdCSIPSD is a splendid one to beholdCSIPSD is a splendid one to behold
Turbo master is a great product. Ran one for years on a stock and 38r...
Old 09-20-2012, 09:57 AM
Elder User

cutlass has a good reputation on FTE.cutlass has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSIPSD View Post
Turbo master is a great product. Ran one for years on a stock and 38r...

Have you switched to a different type of wastegate actuator?
Drake- E99 F350 7.3, 4x2, SRW, CCLB Mods: Ford Reman engine, 38R & blank pedestal, bellowed up-pipes, OCR, Welded oil jets, plenum inserts, T-500, 238/100's, F5 DP Tuner, Fire Rings, ARP Head Studs, 910's w/shims, Melling LPOP, Fluidampr, ITP Reg Return, Fuel Bowl Delete, Post Pump Fuel Filter, & Banjo Bolts, Air Dog, Hutch Mod, HPX, AFE Stg 2, 4" MBRP, 6.0 Trans Cooler, coolant filter, EV2's, Stancor Relay, CCV
Old 09-20-2012, 09:57 AM