6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Plastic Driver Side CAC Tube?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 09:31 PM
VQT
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Plastic Driver Side CAC Tube?

Hello all,

Need help on how to take this plastic CAC tube out to change the thermostat. The shop manual only say to take the CAC tube out but doesn't show how. I don't want to break the tube trying to pull too hard on it.

Which end should be pulled out first, the bottom or the top one near the alternator?

Thanks,

Old 03-14-2012, 09:35 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Received 69 Likes on 50 Posts
Normaly I undo the Top and that will let it push far enough out the way to get the thermostat out

Mines also metal tube

So be careful that plastic can be brittle and crack if you ever have a chance to get the Metal tube jump on it those plastic ones split

Or you could wrap the Plastic tube with the DUCTTAPE MOD

Old 03-14-2012, 09:48 PM
raptor131
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Loosen the the intake side all the way, this will allow the metal ring to come loose, then loosen the connection to the intercooler, then eat some spinach and pull from the the drivers side towards you to pull off from the intake first, then it will come off the intercooler. It is worse putting it back on, get ready to sit in the engine compartment and use your foot to push it back on.

Old 03-14-2012, 09:53 PM
m-chan68
Lead Driver

Received 229 Likes on 165 Posts
..... or better yet, why don't you just loosen the clamp at the intake elbow, and remove the four 8mm bolts that secure it to the intake? This way, all you need to do is pivot the elbow so that the stud where it passes through the fan stator clears and move the tube out of the way with the elbow attached. This way, you won't need to fight with trying separate it from the elbow or deal with the BS trying to reinstall it.

Old 03-14-2012, 09:55 PM
VQT
Posting Guru
Yes Blade35,

Thought cross my mind while tring to pull it out from the top if it crack. I printed out your procedure on how to change the thermostat. You forgot about taking the bottom hose out for the degas bottle.

I don't see why we have to take that out though.

Old 03-14-2012, 10:02 PM
VQT
Posting Guru
Thank you m-chan68 and Raptor131,

I am going with m-chan suggestion. But there are only two (2) 8 mm bolts that secure the intake elbow. I'll check to see where are the other 2 bolts at. Will continue this adventure tomorrow.

Thanks Again
Viet

Old 03-14-2012, 10:07 PM
raptor131
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I actually like his idea better to be honest, seems like less work, maybe I can use that when I replace mine, maybe that is why I had such a hard time putting mine back on, I pinched my oil cooler condenser feed hose between the radiator hose and the intake tube and didn't realize it when putting it back on, no wonder I had such a hard time

Old 03-14-2012, 10:08 PM
m-chan68
Lead Driver

Received 229 Likes on 165 Posts
Okay, excuse me. If you have a 2004 Excursion, you have three 8mm bolts and one long 10mm bolt that secures the upper elbow to the EGR throttle plate housing.

Old 03-14-2012, 10:16 PM
VQT
Posting Guru
Ok, just went out and check it carefully again. There are 4 total
Sorry chan, you are right I just didn't pay enough attention to step up higher on the latter to see the whole assembly. Price of being short

Old 03-14-2012, 10:23 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Received 69 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by VQT
You forgot about taking the bottom hose out for the degas bottle.

Call me crazy but I dont remember taking any Bottom hose off that went to the Degass Bottle????

Could it be an excursion thing???? I thought they were the same just the E-Series is diff

Just the smaller line that went from the Radiator to Degass Bottle and the Big upper hose

Old 03-14-2012, 11:00 PM
VQT
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by BLADE35
Could it be an excursion thing???? I thought they were the same just the E-Series is diff
I don't think Excursion is any different from F 250 and F 350, I'll take a look at the engine the next time I saw the guy with a F 350 at my job site.

Old 03-14-2012, 11:18 PM
TexasA&M
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When I did a coolant flush a year or so ago, I ended up not having to remove the air box or the intake tube to pull the thermostat. It was a pita getting the pliers in the right spot to loosen the upper hose clamp, but I was able to do it. I was not, however, able to get them in there to put it back on. I ended up pulling the whole upper hose and connecting it to the t-stat housing with both off of the truck. Then I was easily able to put the whole assy on the truck, and just tighten the bolts on the t-stat housing.

FYI, this was on a 2006 F250.

Old 03-15-2012, 12:14 AM
Ian123
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The first time I took mine off it was a PITA but I've got it down pretty good now. Just wiggle the ***** out of it while pulling on it as hard as you can. I always think I'm gonna break it but so far never have.

Old 03-15-2012, 05:44 PM
VQT
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Ian123
The first time I took mine off it was a PITA but I've got it down pretty good now. Just wiggle the ***** out of it while pulling on it as hard as you can. I always think I'm gonna break it but so far never have.
I am too chicken to do that. I have broken many things working on other cars before. Now I learn to do it without using too much brute force, don't have the strenghts anymore. Plus I did my fair share of broken stuff by leaning on it while working on other parts

Old 03-15-2012, 07:27 PM
Powerstroke_wannabe
Posting Guru

First I remove the intake. Not that hard if you ask me. Next I loosen the clamp attaching the CAC tube to the intercooler. Next I loosen the clamp attaching the CAC tube to the elbow. Next, I heat the CAC tube with a hair dryer. Next, I stand by the driver's side fender and give a good tug on the tube and it pops off very easily. Having the intake out lets you swivel the tube up and out of the way. You'll have tons of room to get that pesky thermostat out. When I get ready to put the CAC tube back on the elbow, I use the hair dryer to heat the inner diameter of the tube. When It's nice and warm, I stand by the driver's side fender and give it a firm push. Pops on very easily. Button her up and you're done.

Quick Reply: Plastic Driver Side CAC Tube?