Notices
2009 - 2014 F150 Discuss the 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford F150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

The Unintended Consequences of Trailer Mirrors.

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 11:54 PM
flixden
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 96sherm
drive faster and get a bird dog. There ain't no way a bird will hang on at 90 mph, and the bird dog will take care of the pests when you're stopped. Throw in the bonus of animal companionship and a new excuse to speed...WIN/WIN!!!
I am sure a dog would be more of a problem to me than any bird crapping on my truck, lol.

Old 03-15-2012, 11:56 PM
flixden
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Fire Rooster
Truck cover on eBay. 44.00
A truck cover? You would put that on, and take it off every day to avoid bird poop?
I am impressed, really, that's all ....

Old 03-16-2012, 12:00 AM
Fire Rooster
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't have a bird poop problem. I have a AZ sun problem. But same fix for poop and sun. Cheap and easy too

Old 03-16-2012, 12:05 AM
flixden
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Fire Rooster
I don't have a bird poop problem. I have a AZ sun problem. But same fix for poop and sun. Cheap and easy too
Sure, it's a fix. But that fix takes a lot of dedication, to do that every day. I am serious, I am impressed if you do that every day. I'd probably live with the poop or faded paint. But that does not remotely mean that my way is the good (or right) way. All it means is that your truck, under the same conditions, would look better.

Old 03-16-2012, 12:08 AM
Fire Rooster
Posting Guru
Haha, see and I thought was being lazy.... Keeps my truck cleaner longer and I don't have to wash it as often. . Putting it on really takes no time at all. I guess maybe I am just used to doing it to my super duty, my boat etc.

Old 03-16-2012, 06:48 AM
meborder
Received 365 Likes on 260 Posts
doesn't it bother you to put a cover on a dirty vehicle?

I've got covers for mine that never get used cauz the vehicle is forever dusty.

i'm afraid of scratching the paint with the dust under the cover.

i'm not criticizing, just really curious if it scratches or not, particularlly in the wind.

Old 03-16-2012, 07:17 AM
Fire Rooster
Posting Guru
I California duster it before I cover it. Keeps dust to min.

Old 03-16-2012, 11:17 AM
meborder
Received 365 Likes on 260 Posts
I'm with Flixden .... equally impressed .... I didn't even do that my T-bird last fall when i parked it for the winter ...

i feel REALLY lazy now ....

Old 03-16-2012, 08:47 PM
LxMan1

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
It isn't limited to tow mirrors, a female cardinal used to do that on the small mirrors of the wife's car and our Grand Caravan. The retarded bird would fight with herself for hours in the mirror while the male sat on the fence watching her dumbazz doing it. Ended up just putting a plastic Kroger bag over the mirrors when parked and she finally went a way or committed suicide, I don't know which. No more problems the last two years without the bags.
I also found another remedy, but it cost a little more:

Old 03-16-2012, 09:23 PM
ericbc7
Freshman User
You might cut a notch in the garage wall where the mirror usually hits it and cover hole with nylon whiskers... tricky to get the garage door to jump the gap... hmm.

On a more practical note... you could apply some sticky stuff to the surfaces the birds sit on. As long as it stays sticky they won't loiter. perhaps some kind of 2 sided tape that you replace as the old stuff gets dirty/unsticky?

Good luck hehe

Old 03-16-2012, 09:42 PM
Greg B
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Don't have problems with robins perching on the mirrors and pooping on the truck. I do have problems with sparrows perching on the tires and pooping on them, though. For the most part the neighbor's cat and hawks keep the birds off the mirrors.

Old 03-16-2012, 11:32 PM
flixden
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by ericbc7
You might cut a notch in the garage wall where the mirror usually hits it and cover hole with nylon whiskers... tricky to get the garage door to jump the gap... hmm.

On a more practical note... you could apply some sticky stuff to the surfaces the birds sit on. As long as it stays sticky they won't loiter. perhaps some kind of 2 sided tape that you replace as the old stuff gets dirty/unsticky?

Good luck hehe
The tape sounds like a good idea. Just make sure it's not too sticky, lol.

Old 03-17-2012, 08:20 AM
D8chumley
Resident smarta$$
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by LxMan1
It isn't limited to tow mirrors, a female cardinal used to do that on the small mirrors of the wife's car and our Grand Caravan. The retarded bird would fight with herself for hours in the mirror while the male sat on the fence watching her dumbazz doing it. Ended up just putting a plastic Kroger bag over the mirrors when parked and she finally went a way or committed suicide, I don't know which. No more problems the last two years without the bags.
I also found another remedy, but it cost a little more:

WOW!!!! You built that bigazz garage just for your Mustang? I'm jealous, that garage is almost as big as my house

Old 03-18-2012, 09:32 AM
busyknight
Junior User
Let's hear your "final solution"...

Think I'd try the plastic trash bags first, since they're free AND easy to see if it'd work. Or put the double sided sticky tape on the top of the plastic bag and see if that wouldn't get the bird so tangled up, that they'd quit perching there. I was gona suggest a rubber snake (...always heard that works to scare birds away but never tried it). And last but not least, there is a metal cage, spring loaded trap that's made - you bait it with bread crumbs; problem solved!

Old 03-18-2012, 01:35 PM
LxMan1

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by D8chumley
WOW!!!! You built that bigazz garage just for your Mustang? I'm jealous, that garage is almost as big as my house

40x40 1600sqft it is so nice after 44 years to not have to scrape windows in the winter mornings!! Got 5 vehicles in it now

Quick Reply: The Unintended Consequences of Trailer Mirrors.