6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

2012 F250 TUNER

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 10:31 AM
yendor0801
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 F250 TUNER

So after a few errors I am going to install a tuner into my 2012 F250 6.7.
What tuner is everyone using and what are the pros and cons

Old 03-14-2012, 11:58 AM
Adobe 11SD
Senior User
Others will have to tell you the pros (Darren, etc) and the brand. As far as the cons, considering your luck with the '11 and now early indications that the '12 has issues - I would not void my warranty if it were me.

Old 03-14-2012, 12:03 PM
yendor0801
Junior User
thats what i have been thinking. I was just wondering if it would solve alot of my problems. I want to thank all of you for chiming in on my threads

Old 03-14-2012, 12:04 PM
yendor0801
Junior User
That is what I was thining, but I was wondering this might get rid of all of my problems.
I want to thank everyone for chiming in, it really does help

Old 03-14-2012, 02:04 PM
darren32
Lead Driver

Received 736 Likes on 141 Posts
For ME

Pros
-It did get rid of all my problems and got my truck out of the shop and on the road. No CEL since Dec 2010
-I love the extra power and sound

Cons
-Warranty is gone
-It is illegal (as far as I know?)

I would have done it eventyally anyway, just was not planning on doing it before my first oil change (5,000 kM).

It's not for everyone but it worked good for me (so far).
If I have total engine failure thern it will not work out that well....

Old 03-14-2012, 09:07 PM
Andrew010
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What's a warranty??

Old 03-16-2012, 07:26 AM
SavageNFS
Hotshot
Received 6,969 Likes on 2,190 Posts
So I had stepped away from Powerstrokes for about 4 years (see my into thread), but it sounds like a lot of things have changed. I'm still trying to wrap my head around exhaust lubrication! Anyway, from what I understand reading here, tuning the 2011 or 2012 Super Duty's will leave a trace to tech's that the truck has been tuned and therefore void your warranty? Is that the basics?

I ran custom tunes on my Chevy and it really made a difference. I put about 60,000 miles on it with custom tunes. I used an actual flash/scan tool (EFI Live V2) that flashed the firmware in the BCM and PCM. If I needed to take it in for service, I reflashed back to stock. It was untraceable. That was on a 2007. Rumor had it that GM had made changes to the systems that tracked when the firmware was flashed in the 2011's and up. I'm not sure what really happened as I didn't have a newer Chevy. I just didn't keep up with it as close as I should have. I do know there were some upset guys that had been turned away by dealerships.

While I understand why Ford and GM don't like people messing with the firmware on their trucks, I don't understand the negative rep they seem to have here. Not every tune is the same and MOST guys that I talk to aren't tuning their truck for maximum horsepower and to create a drag truck. Most are looking for improved shifting over anything else, better mileage, recalibrate for larger wheels and tires, or other minor tweaks to suit their driving situation.

I don't plan on tuning my truck at this point. So far, I don't see the need. I didn't think my Chevy needed a tune either though. I met a guy sledding that had it done and couldn't believe the improvement...so I had it done. Regardless, if they can check a firmware flash, no way I'm taking that chance. I have a bumper to bumper for 5 years/100,000 miles.

I may have to call the dealership though. Now that I think about it...my truck has larger wheels and tires. The speedometer should be off, but it isn't. I checked it yesterday against 2 different GPS units. It is dead on. So there is only one way that I know of to do that. If the dealership did it and it doesn't matter, then cool. If the Service Manager has an issue with it, that would be a problem. I spent $2000 on that extended warranty.

Old 03-16-2012, 07:42 AM
darren32
Lead Driver

Originally Posted by SavageNFS
So I had stepped away from Powerstrokes for about 4 years (see my into thread), but it sounds like a lot of things have changed. I'm still trying to wrap my head around exhaust lubrication! Anyway, from what I understand reading here, tuning the 2011 or 2012 Super Duty's will leave a trace to tech's that the truck has been tuned and therefore void your warranty? Is that the basics?

I ran custom tunes on my Chevy and it really made a difference. I put about 60,000 miles on it with custom tunes. I used an actual flash/scan tool (EFI Live V2) that flashed the firmware in the BCM and PCM. If I needed to take it in for service, I reflashed back to stock. It was untraceable. That was on a 2007. Rumor had it that GM had made changes to the systems that tracked when the firmware was flashed in the 2011's and up. I'm not sure what really happened as I didn't have a newer Chevy. I just didn't keep up with it as close as I should have. I do know there were some upset guys that had been turned away by dealerships.

While I understand why Ford and GM don't like people messing with the firmware on their trucks, I don't understand the negative rep they seem to have here. Not every tune is the same and MOST guys that I talk to aren't tuning their truck for maximum horsepower and to create a drag truck. Most are looking for improved shifting over anything else, better mileage, recalibrate for larger wheels and tires, or other minor tweaks to suit their driving situation.

I don't plan on tuning my truck at this point. So far, I don't see the need. I didn't think my Chevy needed a tune either though. I met a guy sledding that had it done and couldn't believe the improvement...so I had it done. Regardless, if they can check a firmware flash, no way I'm taking that chance. I have a bumper to bumper for 5 years/100,000 miles.

I may have to call the dealership though. Now that I think about it...my truck has larger wheels and tires. The speedometer should be off, but it isn't. I checked it yesterday against 2 different GPS units. It is dead on. So there is only one way that I know of to do that. If the dealership did it and it doesn't matter, then cool. If the Service Manager has an issue with it, that would be a problem. I spent $2000 on that extended warranty.
My dealer knows my truck is tuned and I do not have my EGR cooler, DPF etc anymore so return to stock is not an option for me. I knew the risk I was taking when I tuned it and am prepared to deal with it.

H&S has a return to stock function but from what I know if Ford looks hard enough at the software thay can tell it has been messed with. I don't know what this means exactly or how had they would have to look?? But I do know for sure that the H&S stock program will retun to the original programming and definately prior to the 800/400 flash. I tried H&S transmission tune and I did nt like it so I returned to stock and now my gear display does not come on automatically. It did not before the 800/400 flash but it did after. This is what leads me to believe that H&S is working with the original software. Anyway, my point is (I guess) that in my case, if I retured to stock and took my truck in they could easily look and say "You had the 400/800 flash and now you don't anymore, what happened to it" LOL. So they would easily know it had been messed with.

That and the fact that my truck is the loudest truck in the drive in servcice bay

But like I have said before, at tuned truck up here is not out of the ordinary. NADP, who did my truck has tuned over 600 11/12 6.7's. And that's just one shop

Thanks

Old 03-16-2012, 07:48 AM
SavageNFS
Hotshot
Received 6,969 Likes on 2,190 Posts
That is a really nice truck, darren32. I just spoke to the dealership Service Manager and he told me that my truck is not tuned, but the speedometer has been re calibrated by his tech to read accurately. He said that is not an issue at all with him or Ford. They didn't want the vehicle going out with an inaccurate speedometer. So I'm good to go.

Old 03-16-2012, 07:50 AM
darren32
Lead Driver

Originally Posted by SavageNFS
That is a really nice truck, darren32. I just spoke to the dealership Service Manager and he told me that my truck is not tuned, but the speedometer has been re calibrated by his tech to read accurately. He said that is not an issue at all with him or Ford. They didn't want the vehicle going out with an inaccurate speedometer. So I'm good to go.
Thank you sir. That's really good that they did that for ya without even asking. You must have a pretty good dealer.
Enjoy your truck!