1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

A question of 4 connections: what are they?

Old 03-13-2012, 05:59 PM
WilleyJoe.62
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 1983F1503004x4
Hope that helps. I went through a "what's this plug" thread before like you. Drives me nuts knowing that there are unused factory plugs on my truck, but that's part of the mass assembly process.

I am just astounded by how clean your truck is. It's almost factory new to me.

Many thanks, fellas. We had the mildest winter in quite some time here, and he's been in the garage being worked on more than he's been on the road.

Now I have a new question - Gary's photo of the capacitor on the coil. I just went out and checked again - no capacitor, only one red and one green to the cap. So am I missing something here too? (older photo from the Push Rod Cover job on my thread)

Or is that capacitor tied into the Red (+) line under the distributor?

Attached Images  
Old 03-13-2012, 06:15 PM
WilleyJoe.62
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 1983F1503004x4

I am just astounded by how clean your truck is. It's almost factory new to me.

By the way - here's how it looked when I brought him home October 22.

Attached Images  
Old 03-13-2012, 06:25 PM
LARIAT 85
Cargo Master
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
That engine looks FANTASTIC, WilleyJoe.62! Very nice work!

And I would like to thank you for consistently taking the time to take pictures and add them to your posts.

#1 = Stock connection for the factory tachometer.

#2 = Stock connection for factory fog lamps.

#3 = Stock connection for underhood light.

Old 03-13-2012, 06:26 PM
WilleyJoe.62
Posting Guru
Thanks, brother! He's getting there, bit by bit.

Old 03-13-2012, 06:32 PM
WilleyJoe.62
Posting Guru
This is page 6-33 from the Chilton manual.

Surrounded in yellow (lower) is NOISE FILTER; is that the capacitor, and is it somewhere under the distributor?

I've highlighted the regulator in yellow (upper), and that same icon doesn't appear for a noise filter. Chilton oversight?

Lastly, the green arrow points to a BRN/PNK line running directly to the coil, and on to the starter relay. Is this BRN/PNK line tied somewhere else in the harness, instead of directly to the coil? Because I definitely don't see it.

Festus starts right up and runs like a top - I'm just obsessing...

Attached Images  
Old 03-13-2012, 07:15 PM
1983F1503004x4
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by LARIAT 85
#1 = Stock connection for the factory tachometer.

#2 = Stock connection for factory fog lamps.

#3 = Stock connection for underhood light.
So I was right, on my deduction for fog lamps. That's the factory plug in location. Looks like the Chilton's wiring diagram was right.

Oh, and I already saw the photos of your engine in your thread, WJ. It still impresses me. I'm in the process of painting the majority of my engine bay. Gonna have new rocker arms and push-rods soon, so my motor will be hummin' again.

There's nothing wrong with being obsessive WJ! It's part of what makes the automotive hobby so great. You can obsess and get away with it (mostly )!

Old 03-13-2012, 07:26 PM
1983F1503004x4
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by WilleyJoe.62
This is page 6-33 from the Chilton manual.
From what I see, section two is for computer controlled models, whereas section one is the standard carburetor.

Your truck isn't a cali truck, right?

Looking at section one, you'll notice a lot of the solenoids and stuff gone from the wiring. The standard, non-feedback carburetor doesn't have a noise filter off of the coil, at least I don't think so. I haven't seen one anywhere near the coil or coming out of the wiring near it either.

It's also clear that the Chilton's manual doesn't elaborate in section one as to what wires are what coming off the coil, the ignition module, or whatever.

Old 03-13-2012, 07:40 PM
WilleyJoe.62
Posting Guru
a-HA. And no, definitely not a Cali.

Thanks to a tip from Gary Lewis, I bought the 81 shop manuals for Engine, and Body/Chassis/Electrical. I'm still working my way through them - haven't found any electrical schematics yet, which is why I was looking at the Chilton, half of which doesn't apply to my truck.

BUT, in thumbing through the Body/Chassis/Electrical manual, this just leapt out at me - it's in the Radio section, no wonder I couldn't find it.

Coil capacitors on engines other than the 300. Mystery solved!

Attached Images  
Old 03-13-2012, 09:31 PM
tall freak
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The RF capacitor is a carry-over from older Fords and older AM radios. Newer radios don't have the problem of picking up the static buzz like old radios did with certain plug wires and alternators.

Jim

Old 03-13-2012, 09:38 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by WilleyJoe.62
Coil capacitors on engines other than the 300. Mystery solved!
That makes no sense as the ignitions are identical with the exception of fewer lobes on the reluctor. And, IIRC, the Ford wiring schematic shows it for all gas-powered engines. I'll confirm that tomorrow.

Old 03-13-2012, 10:07 PM
WilleyJoe.62
Posting Guru
Please do - looking forward to seeing what you find out.

Old 03-13-2012, 11:10 PM
ctubutis
Received 71 Likes on 55 Posts
Brown is, indeed, used by the front marker lamps, tail lamps, parking lamps, license plate illumination, roof-mounted marker lamps (if equipped), headlight-on buzzer,, one or two other things inside the cab that I forget at the moment.

There should be a connector like that #2 behind the driver's side kick panel, down near the parking brake assembly; this supplies power for the roof lights.

No idea why you'd have a brown wire connector there by the ignition module, your truck must have had some sort of optional package or was specially-ordered.

Probably Ralph would know for certain.

Old 03-14-2012, 07:36 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by ctubutis
Brown is, indeed, used by the front marker lamps, tail lamps, parking lamps, license plate illumination, roof-mounted marker lamps (if equipped), headlight-on buzzer,, one or two other things inside the cab that I forget at the moment.

There should be a connector like that #2 behind the driver's side kick panel, down near the parking brake assembly; this supplies power for the roof lights.

No idea why you'd have a brown wire connector there by the ignition module, your truck must have had some sort of optional package or was specially-ordered.

Probably Ralph would know for certain.
Both Rusty and Dad's truck have the same connector in the same place, neither of which are used. My guess is that the fog lights plugged in up there, which would save Ford a lot of wire compared to putting the connector by the radiator since very few fog lights were sold.

Old 03-14-2012, 07:51 AM
WilleyJoe.62
Posting Guru
Roger that, thanks much!

Old 03-14-2012, 08:11 AM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
The brown wire threw me for a loop. The rest were pretty easy, as you found out.
The round connector with the green wire, near the ignition module, should have a matching plug somewhere, though it will likely have a green and black wire (the plug has 2 ports, but only the green wire on the one you pictured). It was often not plugged together on trucks that did not recieve a factory tach, but both halves *should* be there, somewhere. I bet the other plug is hidden under the brake booster.
Should you ever upgrade to a tach cluster, that plug will need to be connected, otherwise, it can be left alone.
FWIW, the engine harness side of that green wire plug is the main difference between I6 and V8 engine harnesses. V8 uses the black wire as an extra ground for the tach, where the I6 doesn't. The black wire grounds the "V8 corrector" built into the factory tach.

That brown wire has me curious. I wonder if it has power when the parking light circuit is in use? If it is for fog lights, I bet it doesn't, but has a matching unused plug under the dash........

The capacitor/condensor at the voltage regulator (yellow wire) was only installed on trucks that left the factory with a radio. No radio = no chance of having an alternator "buzz" thru the speaker......
Not sure about the one on the coil. It may well be the same way.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: A question of 4 connections: what are they?