Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Regional Chapters > Western Region > Oregon Chapter
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Oregon Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: Fabmandelux

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-13-2012, 12:11 PM
Senior User

jgeese is starting off with a positive reputation.
Gear Change...

While I haven't posted anything here sense joining the "Oregon Chapter", perhaps I should before Fabmandelux thinks I'm some kind of anti-social,voyeur - nut lurking out here!
Need imput - Going to do a gear change in our 02 F-150 FX4 in the next week or two. Stock gears are 3:55 with the 17" wheels and tires.
We tow a heavy boat during the summer months locally with at least three trips east, twice to Cove and at least one trip to Detroit Lake.
Had decided to run Yukon's 4:56 gear sets over the 4:11, mainly do to cost. Found the front 4:11 gears about $80 more that the 4:56 set.
Although I'm convinced the 4:56 gears will be superior for towing, question is, how will the daily driving suffer from this change?
Opinions...

Jeff
Old 03-13-2012, 01:04 PM
Junior User

kythri is starting off with a positive reputation.
I bumped my '99 Explorer from the stock 3.73's to Yukon 4.56's.

Daily driving is fine, just mileage took a hit (in part to the gears, and the increased tire size).

Went from about 15-18mpg to 10-12mpg.
2011 Crown Victoria LX (The last of the Vics! )
Old 03-13-2012, 06:13 PM

fabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputation
You will be buying a LOT more gas.......................lol

RIP Steve Price. A true friend and a tireless supporter of FTE
Old 03-13-2012, 08:32 PM
Old, tired and grouchy

Old93junk has a superb reputationOld93junk has a superb reputationOld93junk has a superb reputationOld93junk has a superb reputationOld93junk has a superb reputationOld93junk has a superb reputationOld93junk has a superb reputationOld93junk has a superb reputationOld93junk has a superb reputationOld93junk has a superb reputationOld93junk has a superb reputation
I would go with the 4.10s...........

As high as the RPMs will be with 4.56s, the longevity of the engine will suffer.
84 Ranger 4x4 2.8 V-6 5spd......492,000 miles!
Dave
Oregon Assistant Chapter leader: To join the Oregon Chapter, click HERE
Old 03-13-2012, 11:57 PM
Senior User

The Woodhauler has a good reputation on FTE.The Woodhauler has a good reputation on FTE.
The Woodhauler The Woodhauler The Woodhauler
3.73s are considered a good all around gear, they won't effect milage to badly when hauling your lunch pail daily, can cruse at freeway speeds and are acceptable for towing. There's a couple of calculators here that can help your decision making process.
Wallace Racing - Automotive Calculators
My name's Mike, and I'm a young man trapped in an old body. 2007 F 350 4X4 6.0 Automatic. 4:11 Axles GV overdrive.
Old 03-14-2012, 07:28 AM
Junior User

kythri is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old93junk View Post
I would go with the 4.10s...........

As high as the RPMs will be with 4.56s, the longevity of the engine will suffer.
Granted, it's only a V6, but my RPMs at highway speeds have only increased about 500 or so. Not a drastic increase...
2011 Crown Victoria LX (The last of the Vics! )
Old 03-15-2012, 02:01 PM
Post Fiend

Brown Falcon is a name known to allBrown Falcon is a name known to allBrown Falcon is a name known to allBrown Falcon is a name known to allBrown Falcon is a name known to allBrown Falcon is a name known to all
I'd go to 4.10's if you are sticking with the stock tire size. If you do mostly in town driving when you aren't towing the 4.56's would be ok, but if you do any highway I'd stick to 4.10's
'95 F350 CC 4x4 Powerstroke - GONE but not forgotten
Old 03-15-2012, 02:01 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Regional Chapters > Western Region > Oregon Chapter