Print Wikipost

Eco boost cold air intake????

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 10:23 PM
Fire Rooster
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Eco boost cold air intake????

Anyone have pics of the injen CAI on their EB? I would like to see how it looks installed with the polished intake tubes. Also what is the HP and torque gains with the injen?

AFe is 8hp and 13ft/lbs
Air aid 20hp and 30ft/lbs

Just wanna do a comparison of the three.

Old 03-13-2012, 11:59 AM
TheWhiteBeast
Elder User
You will probably see zero gains without a tune to go along with the intake.

Old 03-13-2012, 12:11 PM
Fire Rooster
Posting Guru
I would agree with you on not seeing the full gains. However better airflow would mean better combustion and at least some increase in power. I promised the wife I wasn't gonna tune and tweak this truck like I did my 7.3l. Plus I am gonna wait for warranty to run out before I tune it....

Old 03-13-2012, 01:29 PM
shotgunz
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Slapping an after-market intake on it is going to cause Ford to deny any engine related warranty claim just as fast as tuning it will.

The stock intake and filter will provide more than enough air flow for 99% of the RPM range. Check the dyno sheets on the Afe and Airaid. At what RPM range do they indicate higher hp and torque?

Old 03-13-2012, 04:29 PM
LxMan1

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Ford can not void the warranty on anything unless they can prove, without any doubt, that the aftermarket part caused the failure. The only warranty that is voided is on the stock air system if removed. Same with exhaust or anything else.
I'm not saying that some dealers may not try, but by law, they can't.
As an off-topic example, My 88 5.0L Mustang that I bought new and still own. At about 30K miles (6yr/60K powertrain warranty), I had installed a dry N.O.S system on the car (as well as off-road exhaust, headers,etc) and I popped a head gasket due to it detonating while on the juice. All i did was take the bottle out of the back of the car. I drove it to the dealer on 7 cylinders and they replaced both head gaskets under warranty with the solenoids and all, still under the hood. They just worked it out to where I had to pay $100.
I'm sure things are a little different now, but small town dealers will usually go the extra mile to keep the customer coming back. I live in a big city and there is one dealer that i deal with because they have always treated me right.

As mentioned above, they will usually give you a few more ponies and more intake noise, but they are way up in the rpm range, not down low where you need the grunt in a heavy truck. If you are drag racing, then go for it. Every pony counts.

Old 03-13-2012, 05:36 PM
shotgunz
Posting Guru
I respectfully disagree with your handling of the blown head gaskets and with your view of the potential warranty issues.

The following is just MY OPINION: With regards to the blown gaskets, you basically stole money from Ford. Taking the system off after the event was your attempt to cover up your mistake because you knew it was wrong. Your modifications caused the failure; you should have paid the full amount.

With regard to the after market intake, Ford (not the dealer) will deny the claim (it has never been the dealer's option as the dealer is not paying for the repair). There have already been Special Service Messages to dealer shops regarding modifications to the EB engine how ANY modifications will void the engine warranty.

Ford has way too much invested in the EB engine to allow high warranty claims.

End of my opinion.

Old 03-13-2012, 07:31 PM
Fire Rooster
Posting Guru
The magnesson moss act prevents any car manf or dealer from voiding any warranty due to after market products placed on the said vehicle unless they can prove 100% that the modification or add on part caused the failure. It has been tried time and time again on turbo charged engines. Only the turbos will be affected by the addition of an aftermarket intake. This has been hashed out so many times on the diesel forums. Now a tuner they can void tha warranty as it reprograms the PCM and this causes the engine to act outside of the parameters set by the manf.

All I asked was what the best intake was and not anyone's opinion on fords stance. I have owned 5 fords on the past. 3 of which heavily modified diesels. I am asking the simple question as I am new to gas motors and the EB. Wanted real world advice before I made a purchase.

LxMan, u did nothing wrong in your example as any tech could see the NOS system was in place only the bottle was missing.

Old 03-13-2012, 08:41 PM
TheWhiteBeast
Elder User
I gave you an honest opinion. Without a tune the power difference will be negligible.

Old 03-13-2012, 09:16 PM
tvsjr
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by shotgunz
I respectfully disagree with your handling of the blown head gaskets and with your view of the potential warranty issues.
I agree 100%. You play, *you* pay. And you didn't steal money from Ford - you stole it from Ford's customers - i.e. us. Paying warranty claims on problems not caused by Ford's design just results in inflated prices for the rest of us.

Old 03-14-2012, 05:51 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,220 Likes on 803 Posts
Originally Posted by shotgunz

The following is just MY OPINION: With regards to the blown gaskets, you basically stole money from Ford. Taking the system off after the event was your attempt to cover up your mistake because you knew it was wrong. Your modifications caused the failure; you should have paid the full amount.

With regard to the after market intake, Ford (not the dealer) will deny the claim (it has never been the dealer's option as the dealer is not paying for the repair). There have already been Special Service Messages to dealer shops regarding modifications to the EB engine how ANY modifications will void the engine warranty.

Ford has way too much invested in the EB engine to allow high warranty claims.

End of my opinion.
I respectfully disagree with you.....

Originally Posted by tvsjr
I agree 100%. You play, *you* pay. And you didn't steal money from Ford - you stole it from Ford's customers - i.e. us. Paying warranty claims on problems not caused by Ford's design just results in inflated prices for the rest of us.
and with you sir.

I personally see no reason for any drive train related after market mods. You want it to last, leave it be. Ford tunes all of it's equipment to achieve optimal MPG's, power and durability. It's been proven over the years that if you mess with that, you either pay with no results or things break.

Ford is going to break our ***** on warranty claims anyway. It's a growing trend and I've seen it from the superduty trucks to the F-150's.

Old 03-14-2012, 06:38 AM
shotgunz
Posting Guru
LOL Tim - we're saying the same thing.

If I could rep ya', I would.

Old 03-14-2012, 07:54 AM
Bart99GT
Laughing Gas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ford has been singing the same "aftermarket modifications are going to void your warranty" song and dance for YEARS now. It was no different when I had my Mustang GT 10-11 years ago, supposedly any modification was subject to claims being denied and warranties voided. I never heard of one person (myself included) having a warranty voided or claim denied simply because the dealer popped the hood open and said "that car has been modified".

Special service bulletin or not, it still comes down to the dealer on if they report the aftermarket modifications when submitting the warranty reimbursement, and again, it still has to be proven that the modification was the cause of the issue.

All that being said, I would skip a CAI on a truck. I've seen dyno sheets that owners have posted (NOT the CAI manufacturer!) and as expected, they make any advertised gain above 4000-4500 RPM. Up until that point, they make roughly the same power as a stock engine.

Old 03-14-2012, 11:06 AM
Skoiv
Senior User
I wouldn't do it either, especially on a turbo motor. Funny thing, I was in the dealer yesterday having my oil changed and this guy started chatting with me. He had a brand new mustang GT and was having the dealer install a chip and open air element. He said it was all Ford and it didn't void the warranty??? I didn't realize they did that stuff.

Old 03-14-2012, 11:14 AM
Fire Rooster
Posting Guru
278k miles on my last powerstroke with airaid. No turbo issues. And noticeable power change and less black cloud on acceleration = more complete combustion due to more O2

Old 03-14-2012, 11:17 AM
shotgunz
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Fire Rooster
278k miles on my last powerstroke with airaid. No turbo issues. And noticeable power change and less black cloud on acceleration = more complete combustion due to more O2
Not even close to an apples to apples comparison.

Quick Reply: Eco boost cold air intake????