1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

85 F150 I6 need help w/ vacuum lines, choke, i.d.ing parts, etc.

Old 04-16-2014, 04:52 PM
dually dude
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
86 carb vacumn thingy

What is the thing under the carb called and where can I get 1 my 86 was in pieces when I bought it and this plus much more to get it going will help greatly thanks in advance

Last edited by ctubutis; 04-16-2014 at 07:59 PM. Reason: Removed personal information
Old 04-17-2014, 05:22 AM
1986F150six
Lead Driver
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Welcome to the forum, dually dude!

I am guessing the part you described is the EGR adapter. It is made of aluminum and is approximately 1" thick. The EGR valve mounts to the side of this.

Old 04-17-2014, 03:22 PM
dually dude
New User
Originally Posted by 1986F150six
Welcome to the forum, dually dude!

I am guessing the part you described is the EGR adapter. It is made of aluminum and is approximately 1" thick. The EGR valve mounts to the side of this.
Where can iget one what is the part number or does anyone know of plain spacer plate and where can I get that thanks

Old 05-27-2014, 06:34 PM
dually dude
New User
Originally Posted by dually dude
Where can iget one what is the part number or does anyone know of plain spacer plate and where can I get that thanks
I bought an EGR adapter plate from UHAUL of all places the truck is running now but not on the raod yet still some issues to tidy up will add pics when I figure out how

Old 03-01-2015, 08:28 AM
Jasongross270
New User
Originally Posted by pd59
Cool. Learning is fun!

If anyone can weigh in on that linkage, please do. I'm really stumped there. I could also use a photo of how the choke heat is run from the carb, and where it plugs into the manifold. I've seen other posts on here where people make new lines for the choke stove out of hard brake line or copper tubing, and since I don't have the original lines, I'm going to have to do that. I just need to see where they go into the manifold.

When I get more time later this week, I'll start to re-connect all of the vacuum lines I need, and get the new carb installed. I will update this thread once I do, and I'll post some more pics just because. Thanks again!
I think it was the older style gas petal linkage I have a 1983 Ford F-150 with a 4.9 300 I6 and have the same linkage I was going to take mine off

Old 10-27-2017, 10:33 AM
Salamander Salmon
New User
Originally Posted by LARIAT 85
There is a choke stove chamber made into the exhaust manifold. This chamber will have a hole in the bottom for the fresh air tube, and a hole in the top for the hot air tube. Filtered air is drawn from the carburetor air horn and down the fresh air tube where it passes through the choke stove chamber. From there the filtered air, now hot because it passed through the chamber, routes up to the choke cap through the hot air tube, which is insulated to help hold in the heat.

Attachment 235071

These tubes typically rust off and break in the holes of the choke stove chamber, making removal of the tubes very difficult. You will have to remove the manifold to get the broken ends out. Or you can go to any auto parts store and ask for a Choke Stove Kit. They can usually be found in the Help! section.

Amazon.com: Mr. Gasket 3665 Choke Stove Kit: Automotive

It comes with a length of coiled up aluminum tubing that you can easily bend by hand, the hot air tube insulation, the hardware to mount the tube to the choke cap, and a little "dome" with a hole in one end for the tubing to push into. This dome acts as the choke stove chamber and clamps to the exhaust manifold or header pipe to trap the hot air when the engine is running and routes the hot air up to the choke cap.

The only difference is the universal Choke Stove Kit doesn't use the fresh air portion of the stock hot air choke at all. It is intended to provide outside hot air to the choke. Very simple to install and works great.
So based on what i am reading here. This vacuum that has rusted and broke off for a long time now NEEDS to be replaced. The most simple process would be this kit? And retreiving the broken portion most likely i should takeoff the exhaust manifold to achieve this? Thank you, ive been searching for hours and only came across this thread

Old 10-27-2017, 11:01 AM
JimsRebel
Fleet Mechanic
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
There is no easy quick fix for this, but it does need to have the hot air source for the choke to open.

Here are some more links to look at. Be sure to read the whole thread.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post16579048

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post14501535

Jim

Old 10-27-2017, 10:38 PM
LARIAT 85
Cargo Master
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Salamander Salmon
So based on what i am reading here. This vacuum that has rusted and broke off for a long time now NEEDS to be replaced. The most simple process would be this kit? And retreiving the broken portion most likely i should takeoff the exhaust manifold to achieve this? Thank you, ive been searching for hours and only came across this thread
You can just leave those broken off tubes there. You will not use them if you use the universal choke stove kit I referenced earlier.

The choke stove kit has all you need to get your thermostatic choke system working again. It provides a new hot air tube, so you can even use it on headers.

Old 09-25-2022, 04:38 PM
Promiseland21
4wd Low
Hello 👋🏻 I have a 1979 ford F100 really need help?❤️

Yes, his photos are outstanding!

Ok, here are pics of the new carb next to the old carb. Old one is on the left:

Hello I have a 1979 ford f100 4.9 liter 2wd. I’m wanting a brand new carburetor, mine is just like (similar)your old one, but the closest ones I can find similar to mine , they all have that so called “ dash pot” bell and hose connected to it. Like your photo of new one up above. Could I or do I have to modify it to work. Keep in mind that my carburetor is a electric choke with plug in, please help me my carburetor is starting to act funny smelling fuel more often, cuts off on me from time to time. Been had the reman since 2017, but just want something new. 😊🤝?

The thing attached to the new carb with the vacuum hose on it is called the dashpot, according to my rebuild instructions. What is its purpose?

I can’t find this one electric choke carb brand new, I want to get a Chinese version like you did. But how do I do it?

Side view of 7-7587 uremco. The new ones I see have that dash bell and hose on the side. Can I modify it to work?

Back view 1BB. Carburetor 7-7587

Top view 1979 ford f100 4.9 liter custom cab c4 transmission 2wd.

The exact one I have, remanufactured, I don’t want. I want new. A new carburetor. Tired of old remans…

Old 09-25-2022, 04:57 PM
Promiseland21
4wd Low
I have an 85 F150 w/ a 300 I6. I have already swapped over to DSII. The carb is not a feedback. I need some help with several things.

For starters, I have already ordered a new carb that is different from the one that is on the truck. New 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 F150 E150 4.9 300 1BBL Carb | eBay
That is the link for the exact one. It is also a non-feedback, and it has the thermal choke. (I will get to that in a minute). Lets start with vacuum lines:

This photo shows the vacuum tree at the base of the carb. You can also see where someone plugged a hole with some epoxy putty. I'm guessing that was egr? I have a better shot of that. I need to know what the ports in the tree are for. The large vacuum line shown in the bottom left port goes into the brake booster. The other large port at the top on the body of the carb is where the PCV valve was plugged in.

This is the better shot of the plugged hole. There is another large hole open next to it, and when the truck is running, exhaust pours out of it. You can also see the PCV hose going into that port on the carb in the background.

This is located on the firewall directly behind the carb. The hose shown goes somewhere down by the transmission.

That covers my vacuum line questions, on to mystery parts:

Here you can see some sort of linkage attached to the intake manifold. It extends down to the transmission somewhere. At the end on the right of the picture, where the bolt is sticking out, there are two holes. One has the bolt stuck in it, the other is to the left of the bolt. I have a better pic of that as well.

There is the better pic. You can see the hole to the left, and the one to the right with the bolt in it.

Here's another mystery hole in the exhaust manifold below the carb. I'm thinking maybe for the choke heat?

Random unused plug in the engine compartment. It connects to the alternator.

I'm pretty sure I have a rats nest going on here, and my factory vacuum diagram is of no use to me because I have converted to non-feedback and DSII. I am also concerned about the lack of an EGR, and that the old ports for it are closed shut. Furthermore, I plan on running the thermal choke setup, and I don't even know where to begin there. I also know the PCV system is not hooked up right. Here are some shots of it and the air cleaner:

I know this is a lot to take in, but I could really use some help here. It is greatly appreciated. When the new carb comes in and I get it installed, I can take some new pics of it. Thanks in advance!

This is what I have on my 79 ford f100. 7-7587 uremco rebuilt. How did you get your eBay carburetor to work on your truck, it wasn’t all correct. But how?🤔

Electric choke.

Side view, but the new ones I see have that dashpot, on the side with the hose, which don’t have. 79 ford automatic c4 transmission.

Front view

The one I’m considering other view. With dashpot.

The exact one I have. Not made new and expensive in remanufactured.

The one I’m considering but it has that dashpot with the hose on end. Mine doesn’t have it.

Old 09-25-2022, 05:39 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,654 Likes on 1,337 Posts
Promiseland21. Are we supposed to figure out your questions or question from the mess of posts above? Why don''t you make a new post and consolidate it a little bit? One picture, one post, one question. Or something simpler like that.