1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Trying to buy parts from a US Ford dealer is this normal ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 03:06 PM
Gregruk
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trying to buy parts from a US Ford dealer is this normal ?

Guys , am trying to buy some truck parts from a Ford dealer in the US , but its becoming difficult for the following reasons :-
1. They Wont ship internationally !
2. They Wont take credit cards !
3. They Wont take a verified paypal account !
4. They Will only accept cash on delivery or
5. Money order !

Is this normal business practice now in the US ? ... I thought there was a recession on and people wanted your business .... seems not !

Very dissapointed ....
Greg {stuck in the Uk}

Old 03-12-2012, 03:18 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,437 Likes on 1,389 Posts
I suppose it depends on what dealer you're working with. I'm sure there's some that will be more friendly than others. There is a particular dealer that offers a discount to forum members here, and hopefully someone will be along shortly that can remember who that is and provide his contact info.

Sorry for your bad experience.

Old 03-12-2012, 03:29 PM
Gregruk
Junior User
Cheers Merc , maybe I can find that dealer and they can source the part{s} for me and ship .... never had this before !

Old 03-12-2012, 04:16 PM
1andonlywhitie
Senior User
Shoot me an email to david @ stettperformance.com

Let me know what parts you need, part numbers too if you have them, and I'll see what i can round up for you!

Old 03-12-2012, 05:58 PM
59JEEPSTANG
Senior User
Way to go 1andonlywhitie. You couldn't order from a Ford dealer over there? Of course knowing the dealers around me they probably couldn't be bothered If it involved something like that.

Paul

Old 03-13-2012, 01:09 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Gregruk
Guys , am trying to buy some truck parts from a Ford dealer in the US , but its becoming difficult for the following reasons :-
1. They Wont ship internationally !
2. They Wont take credit cards !
3. They Wont take a verified paypal account !
4. They Will only accept cash on delivery or
5. Money order !

Is this normal business practice now in the US ? ... I thought there was a recession on and people wanted your business .... seems not !

Very dissapointed ....
Greg {stuck in the Uk}
Greg, Sorry you are having problems. It's not a matter of dealer's not wanting the business it's not wanting to get burned by the large number of international internet scammers. Once the goods leave the US it's virtually impossible to recover goods or money from scammers. Unlike the CC holders, merchants are always in the wrong for any sales that go bad, The card companies don't take the loss for sales charged to a stolen card or refused charge, the merchant does. The card companies will take the money back from the merchant in a flash even if they had originally approved the sale.
As online sales increase, so do the number of scammers, and the profit margins get thinner, so yes it is becoming standard business practice.

Actually I'm surprised they are willing to take a money order, there are many counterfeit money orders being passed..

Old 03-13-2012, 03:43 AM
Gregruk
Junior User
Originally Posted by AXracer
As online sales increase, so do the number of scammers, and the profit margins get thinner, so yes it is becoming standard business practice..
Totally agree but surely thats where a verified paypal account comes in {which I have} or .... throw the item up onto ebay for a "buy-now" price and let me grab it !

I buy / sell motorcycle parts all over the world and I insist on "cleared funds" before releasing the part .... if that thats 10+ days to clear then so be it .... but most people understand , otherwise its rock up with cash and walk away with the part ... something I'd love to do here but its a bit far to swim !

All best
Greg

Ps, I may a solution to the problem ... so no tears before bedtime !

Old 03-13-2012, 03:46 AM
Gregruk
Junior User
Originally Posted by 1andonlywhitie
Shoot me an email to david @ stettperformance.com

Let me know what parts you need, part numbers too if you have them, and I'll see what i can round up for you!

Cheers David , will drop you a line after I've heard a definate NO we wont ship to the UK from the dealer .

Old 03-13-2012, 04:46 AM
Steve_B
Senior User
Hi Greg

I buy my truck parts from Mid Fifty
Order by CC over the phone
specify they ship the order complete in one batch rather than in several batches as you will get hit for customs fees by the shipper on each delivery

I buy my flathead stuff from speedway as there are a couple of dealers here in the UK

Steve

Old 03-13-2012, 12:32 PM
dawolverine
Senior User
Hot Rods will ship to UK no problem as well

Old 03-13-2012, 01:43 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Paypal accounts, verified or not (verification only means that a funding source with the same address existed at the time of verification, paypal does not keep checking to see if the card is still valid or the bank account is still open at the time of, or immediately after every purchase) are only as good as the account or card backing them up, which status can change in a moment's notice.
Paraphrasing a popular saying: "There are two types of merchants selling on the internet, those that have been scammed and those that will be." It all depends on their experience and desire to service their customers no matter what, that dictates their policy. That is the reality of the internet.

Old 03-14-2012, 01:09 PM
Gregruk
Junior User
Originally Posted by Steve_B
I
I buy my flathead stuff from speedway as there are a couple of dealers here in the UK
Steve
Hi Steve , who's the Speedway people you deal with in the Uk , if one is ValleyGas am already buying from those guys , this just happened to be an odd OEM wheel I could buy but now thinking about the long term plan for the truck ... I may just hold out for some nice steel Wheel Vin's rims .

All best
Greg

Ps, If anyone you know has Y blocks , I've a complete motor being stripped for spares , plus a big block FMX auto trans .

Old 03-14-2012, 02:10 PM
Steve_B
Senior User
Originally Posted by Gregruk
Hi Steve , who's the Speedway people you deal with in the Uk , if one is ValleyGas am already buying from those guys , this just happened to be an odd OEM wheel I could buy but now thinking about the long term plan for the truck ... I may just hold out for some nice steel Wheel Vin's rims .

All best
Greg

Ps, If anyone you know has Y blocks , I've a complete motor being stripped for spares , plus a big block FMX auto trans .
I use Steve Lang Hot rods: turnkey hot rods, engine builds, chassis work, bodywork, paint, parts. Langy's Rod Shop., he's close to where I live so can pick up parts from him, I pay pounds for dollars

What size wheel are you after?
I may have a spare 16" x 4.5"

Steve