6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

So what did you do to your 6.0L today?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2016, 01:14 AM
frylock0729
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I drove it home for the first time.....I've been lurking in the shadows of the forums for a bit and bouncing back and forth between the 7.3 and 6.0. Pulled the trigger on this 6.0 this afternoon. I look forward reading through these forms for years to come.

2006 XLT with 80,000 miles.

Old 07-26-2016, 03:39 AM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
Originally Posted by frylock0729
I drove it home for the first time.....I've been lurking in the shadows of the forums for a bit and bouncing back and forth between the 7.3 and 6.0. Pulled the trigger on this 6.0 this afternoon. I look forward reading through these forms for years to come.

Nice looking.

For what I did. I spent the evening swapping out the wiring for the HID lighting with a
new harness and new lamps. The reason for the harness was it has individual grounds
for each ballast and the correct plug for the bi-level lamps. The last harness was a cut
and paste job. The only thing that stopped me tonight was that I am missing the male
half of the insulated spades and my back was yelling at me.

Sean <BR>

6.0L Tech Folder

Old 07-26-2016, 06:40 AM
FordBlueHeart
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I drove mine the typical.60 miles I put on it a week. It died once, like it does every time I take it back to drop off and pick up my work van. I just love renting!

Old 07-26-2016, 07:49 AM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

Received 2,073 Likes on 1,403 Posts
Shawn,

You mentioned that this oil change was a 10k interval, how long was the previous?

The quantity of debris in the analysis will be altered depending on the age. The labs will give you the measurements, and some will alter the narrative of the report depending on miles, but you need to do that calculation to have a better understanding of what is happening in the motor.

Silicone can be high if with any repair work included silicone RTV, but with both the silicone and wear debris going up, the mileage factor needs to be done, especially if no RTV was used anywhere.

Old 07-26-2016, 07:50 AM
acf6
Post Fiend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Sparky83
my 20 ton press laughs at the u-joints.. when doing the front driveshaft it was good at breaking the old ones getting them out.. down side was i also broke the CV joint thats in the middle of the double Cardan joint
Dang...i used a hammer and socket to change my u joints in like 10 minutes

Old 07-26-2016, 07:53 AM
KDAVID1
Logistics Pro
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by BLADE35
His is different then ours

now that Iv done Ball joints a couple times I can get that axel out with seal in good shape Might get blasted but I reused them I even had 2 new ones and decided to return them If it looks like I need 4x4 I manually lock the hubs anyways if I get stuck and shift on the fly my truck locks in and I get unstuck but it leaks and unlocks after a few needs a new Transfer valve
I'm all for that if I could keep from being heavy handed which is hard for me

Old 07-26-2016, 07:54 AM
KDAVID1
Logistics Pro
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Congrats. Welcome to the fam.

Old 07-26-2016, 11:56 AM
Sparky83
FTE Legend
Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts
Originally Posted by TooManyToys.
Shawn,

You mentioned that this oil change was a 10k interval, how long was the previous?

The quantity of debris in the analysis will be altered depending on the age. The labs will give you the measurements, and some will alter the narrative of the report depending on miles, but you need to do that calculation to have a better understanding of what is happening in the motor.

Silicone can be high if with any repair work included silicone RTV, but with both the silicone and wear debris going up, the mileage factor needs to be done, especially if no RTV was used anywhere.
the one from the previous reading was a 6K run over a year ago.. same brand and type oil.. the 10K runs was after putting the engine back together from a head gasket job. (oil pan was dropped and cleaned out due to my socket for the injector hold down managed to go down the drain back holes in the heads.. I didnt use any RTV when putting the engine back together.. maybe some of the seals were silicon... couldnt say.. they were all victor res except the head gaskets which were ford factory ones..

Originally Posted by acf6
Dang...i used a hammer and socket to change my u joints in like 10 minutes
when i did the front ones the socket and hammer wouldnt have worked... the bearing caps were frozen into the couplings.. even after heating them with the torch.. i never get the fun of having easy to remove ujoints.. even when doing my s10..

Old 07-26-2016, 12:07 PM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

Received 2,073 Likes on 1,403 Posts
Cured silicone gaskets would not kick up the silicon numbers in the oil, only RTV, although never say never as there could be some molecules free on the surfaces. I would double check all post air filter connections JIC, but some values may be elevated due the work, so more telling will be the next change and analysis. Divide your last metals numbers by 6/10 to get a relative value between the two different intervals.

Old 07-26-2016, 12:32 PM
Sparky83
FTE Legend
i never understand what the tests are saying... thats why i posted the results hoping others could explain what it was meaning.. previous test results someone that understood them better told me the magnesium levels were to high for rotella but wanted to know what was used for the oil change prior. which i knew the change prior had been running Mobil Delvac as thats what the dealer (GM) used during their changes for diesels. Which he said they did have a higher magnesium levels as its used as a cleaning additive.

with the way im reading it - it seems like at 10K miles its pushing the life of the oil.. but like i said i dont quite understand the test results enough to make determinations.. which i looked back previous test was with 7K on the standard 14 qt capacity.. from the looks of the mileage the previous sample was taken 2500 miles before my head gaskets let go and pissed the coolant down the back side of the engine...

Old 07-26-2016, 01:00 PM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
Received 409 Likes on 271 Posts

Beautiful truck!! Congratulations! You sure it is an XLT (cloth seats?), because with the 2-tone paint and Lariat factory wheels, it sure looks Lariat on the outside

Heck it even looks like it has the key pad on the door....

Old 07-26-2016, 06:13 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
may have been when the engine was open for a few months during the rebuild of the top end then... you cant get away from the sand here unfortunately.. whats not on the ground is in the air.. regardless of which house im at im parked on dirt&gravel most the time
Was the first oil analysis on the report from when the top end work was done as well?

To add to what others have said......I would change the oil and send in another sample at 3K. Don't let her idle much at all if you can. Need to see what could be causing the oil dilution from fuel. There's enough fuel in it to drop it down to a 30 weight oil. Check the air intake system out to make sure the intake post filter looks clean & dust free. Personally I would limit the oil change intervals to 4-5K until the oil analysis results settle down some.

Old 07-26-2016, 06:21 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by TooManyToys.
Cured silicone gaskets would not kick up the silicon numbers in the oil, only RTV, although never say never as there could be some molecules free on the surfaces. I would double check all post air filter connections JIC, but some values may be elevated due the work, so more telling will be the next change and analysis. Divide your last metals numbers by 6/10 to get a relative value between the two different intervals.
Jack,

He's showing 2.29 ppm iron per 1K miles on the first UOA (7,000 miles on Rotella). The 2nd UOA is showing 3.7 ppm iron per 1,000 miles on a 10,000 mile interval of Rotella.

Not horrible numbers, just elevated. Probably from the open engine situation he mentioned.

Old 07-26-2016, 07:02 PM
Sparky83
FTE Legend
Originally Posted by white Buffalo
Was the first oil analysis on the report from when the top end work was done as well?

To add to what others have said......I would change the oil and send in another sample at 3K. Don't let her idle much at all if you can. Need to see what could be causing the oil dilution from fuel. There's enough fuel in it to drop it down to a 30 weight oil. Check the air intake system out to make sure the intake post filter looks clean & dust free. Personally I would limit the oil change intervals to 4-5K until the oil analysis results settle down some.
the first sample was taken 2500 miles prior to the engine being open... at that time it was giving the silicon reading of only 5ppm... 2500 miles later the head gasket blew and i had the engine open for about the next 2-3 months while i was working on it... with the exception of the pumps, bearings, and roller lifters i had the oil cleaned out of the engine..

this was the first oil change since the engine went back together and i get a reading of 77ppm...

Old 07-26-2016, 09:45 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
the first sample was taken 2500 miles prior to the engine being open... at that time it was giving the silicon reading of only 5ppm... 2500 miles later the head gasket blew and i had the engine open for about the next 2-3 months while i was working on it... with the exception of the pumps, bearings, and roller lifters i had the oil cleaned out of the engine..

this was the first oil change since the engine went back together and i get a reading of 77ppm...
Sounds like a logical explanation for the increase in silicon. None the less, I would check out the air intake for dust and do another UOA at 3K to make sure things are back on track.

Do you have the EGR cooler still installed or the EGR Delete?

Quick Reply: So what did you do to your 6.0L today?