6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

So what did you do to your 6.0L today?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2016, 09:03 PM
SRSherrill75
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Irish19614x4
You may want to replace that rubber cover over your radiator seems it's seen it's days with all those cracks. Probably the worse I have seen yet.

What is that part called? I am finding fan shrouds but nothing for that yet

Old 02-02-2016, 09:38 PM
KDAVID1
Logistics Pro
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by KIDkiser
I know what ya mean I have 2 friends that work at Napa and they think I'm crazy and just being nit picky.
Haha--tell em to get a 6.0 and fill it up wit 100% non oem and see how far they get lol. Don't get me wrong i buy from Napa , advanced, orielly and others but only certain things.

Old 02-02-2016, 11:27 PM
silverbullet6oh
Posting Guru
My guy wont use anything but ford parts on my truck,but he's computer illiterate.and said I could get the parts on the old interweb cheaper than what he can get at our local dealership.

My mechanic, that I usually take my truck to is the same, NOTHING but Furd parts. But, after I get done with this turbo cleaning and learning to put everything back together I have a feeling he will be getting less business from me. Especially since I found out once you get the turbo out, almost everything else is easy access to repair.

Also doesn't help he's always backed up, minimum one week for simple repairs.

Also, he wanted to charge $450 for the alternator replacement. Why? Cause of the alternator price through Furd, and the mechanic book time, which the cost makes sense, when looking at it in that perspective. But it was going to be a 110 Amp stock replacement. DUMB.

Old 02-02-2016, 11:38 PM
weekendwarriorfsw32
Master of Strokes

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Getting read to put these bad boys on my 6.0 this week!

16inch rotors!

Old 02-02-2016, 11:44 PM
Irish19614x4
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by acf6
impressive lol

i did some looking today, and it appears that the sleeve that holds the upper bushing for the leaf spring shackles is removable? I see each one has 4 bolts holding it in, so i soaked them all in PB blaster and am hoping i can remove the entire assembly with bushing in it...and then remove the bushing out of the truck. that would make that a LOT easier.

If the PB blaster don't cut it opt for some heat persuasion as well

Just be careful in case you light those bushings on fire.....

Old 02-03-2016, 12:06 AM
87crewdually
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by weekendwarriorfsw32
Getting read to put these bad boys on my 6.0 this week!

16inch rotors!
WILWOOD BRAKES!

Wish someone offered a DRW kit @ a reasonable price.

Old 02-03-2016, 01:03 AM
Irish19614x4
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 87crewdually
WILWOOD BRAKES!

Wish someone offered a DRW kit @ a reasonable price.
How much was the entire setup? What source did you order from?

Old 02-03-2016, 06:55 AM
Per4mance
Logistics Pro
Received 20 Likes on 5 Posts
That kit is some bucks,I think it is about $2600.00

Old 02-03-2016, 10:16 AM
FICMrepair.com
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by WatsonR
Prices at local shops are up because of Internet shopping.... we've done it to ourselves over the years.
I've beendoing a lot of shopping in the last few days and I have noticed this,but I plan on ordering from Ed,just wish he had free shipping with a $1200+ order.
Watson's comment about 'doing it to ourselves over the years' is so true about parts prices at the local stores. The other thing that we are doing to ourselves is pushing customer service out the window. When we sell parts, say that $1200 order that KIDkiser mentions, it's easy to think that we are making a killing.

Many larger sales require significant technical support time going through the pros and cons of one solution over the next. Oftentimes, we spend this time and talk people out of thousands of dollars in other parts that they think they need, but don't in reality.

In fact, by the time you add in the cost of taking and fulfilling the order, many times we just and only break even. Who knows? Maybe we need to renegotiate the prices that we pay for these parts to see about getting a better deal.

Meanwhile, just know that we truly appreciate the support and do all we can to keep our prices down as low as possible!

Ultimately though, something we all need to ask ourselves is what value we see in keeping the 'little guys' going that provide this extra service. There's a small hardware store (they might have 1200 sq feet of space) down the road from us that is closing their doors after over 50 years due to a large chain hardware store moving in that can offer prices a few nickels cheaper.

The larger question is at what cost these few nickels cheaper come.

Old 02-03-2016, 10:43 AM
silverbullet6oh
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by FICMrepair.com
Watson's comment about 'doing it to ourselves over the years' is so true about parts prices at the local stores. The other thing that we are doing to ourselves is pushing customer service out the window. When we sell parts, say that $1200 order that KIDkiser mentions, it's easy to think that we are making a killing.

Many larger sales require significant technical support time going through the pros and cons of one solution over the next. Oftentimes, we spend this time and talk people out of thousands of dollars in other parts that they think they need, but don't in reality.

In fact, by the time you add in the cost of taking and fulfilling the order, many times we just and only break even. Who knows? Maybe we need to renegotiate the prices that we pay for these parts to see about getting a better deal.

Meanwhile, just know that we truly appreciate the support and do all we can to keep our prices down as low as possible!

Ultimately though, something we all need to ask ourselves is what value we see in keeping the 'little guys' going that provide this extra service. There's a small hardware store (they might have 1200 sq feet of space) down the road from us that is closing their doors after over 50 years due to a large chain hardware store moving in that can offer prices a few nickels cheaper.

And to top it off, not only do we want it cheaper and with free shipping, but then we complain when nothing is made in America.

But I guess that's too off topic.......

Old 02-03-2016, 10:50 AM
KDAVID1
Logistics Pro
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My issue is champaign taste on a mad dog budget

Old 02-03-2016, 10:58 AM
rossterman
Senior User
Paid it off and cancelled the (non-factory) extended warranty.

Old 02-03-2016, 12:33 PM
WatsonR
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by FICMrepair.com

It's volume that a small guy can't keep up with, Internet guys sell volume and that equates to discounts in buying. The small guy doesn't carry the part and he can't afford free shipping, passed to the consumer...

Natural progression as the Internet becomes more user friendly, easier to find stuff, ships for free and reduced pricing.... small guys can't keep up unless they offer a specialized service... just like FICMrepair.com

Group buys help a seller establish a volume account, you can't sell it for less than you paid for it.... fact. If everybody buys from Ed, his prices would go down (I'd hope), why White Bear is cheaper... your creating a volume for him.... pretty simple really.

Old 02-03-2016, 01:22 PM
KIDkiser
Laughing Gas
Ed's prices are hard to beat and the customer service is phenomenal,I made my order and he went out of his way to call and see if I had the socket to install my nipple cup o'rings.now he didn't have to do that ,but he did and that's what running a business is all about.and by the way Ed I'll have another order in a couple of days.i have my eye on a new alternator and one of the mishimoto coolant filters.

Old 02-03-2016, 03:44 PM
FICMrepair.com
Former Vendor
Ed's prices are hard to beat and the customer service is phenomenal,I made my order and he went out of his way to call and see if I had the socket to install my nipple cup o'rings.now he didn't have to do that ,but he did and that's what running a business is all about.and by the way Ed I'll have another order in a couple of days.i have my eye on a new alternator and one of the mishimoto coolant filters.
Thanks very much for the support! In addition to the Mishimoto bypass coolant filter offerings (Mishimoto Coolant Filter Kit 03-07 6.0L Ford Powerstroke MMBK-F2D-03), also take a peek at the IPR full flow coolant filter offering (IPR High Flow Coolant Filter Ford 6.0).

Pretty cool stuff!

Quick Reply: So what did you do to your 6.0L today?