6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

So what did you do to your 6.0L today?

Old 11-28-2015, 11:48 AM
WatsonR
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I get 400 on a 25 gallon tank.

Changed out the block heater. Wouldn't work, wasn't the cord so I put a new one in. Plugged it the old element and it worked in my hand... tried everything to avoid pulling it.

Old 11-28-2015, 11:59 AM
Shaneb75
Strokin Okie

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by WatsonR
I get 400 on a 25 gallon tank.

Changed out the block heater. Wouldn't work, wasn't the cord so I put a new one in. Plugged it the old element and it worked in my hand... tried everything to avoid pulling it.
How is your hand?

Old 11-28-2015, 01:56 PM
acf6
Post Fiend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
so trucks back on the road with new steering box. my truck can spin the wheels at an idle now...i had 0 power steering before at idle. the steering isnt really much tighter, but its looser now if that makes sense. like driving around town and stuff its okay, and its kinda nice cause its so light but on the highway its way too loose for my likings. should i just try tightening the adjustment bolt on top?

Old 11-28-2015, 02:14 PM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 68 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by acf6
so trucks back on the road with new steering box. my truck can spin the wheels at an idle now...i had 0 power steering before at idle. the steering isnt really much tighter, but its looser now if that makes sense. like driving around town and stuff its okay, and its kinda nice cause its so light but on the highway its way too loose for my likings. should i just try tightening the adjustment bolt on top?
Just a tiny bit at a time, but now is the time to do it before the gears get worn to straight driving.

Old 11-28-2015, 06:17 PM
WatsonR
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Shaneb75
How is your hand?
You would be surprised how fast it gets hot... before I could yell unplug it, it vaporized the coolant that was on the element and would have burned my hand. Had a shop rag on it to help hold it, it smoked as I wasn't sure what would happen when plugged in.

Old 11-28-2015, 09:13 PM
Sparky83
FTE Legend
Received 92 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by KDAVID1
Hate that. I can usually get 300 to 350 on half a tank depending on my driving then from half to a bit below 1/4 200 to 250 or so.
i dunno why. I can go forever on the tank so long as the needles on full. As soon as it starts moving it falls fast

Old 11-29-2015, 03:57 AM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
Originally Posted by Sparky83
i dunno why. I can go forever on the tank so long as the needles on full. As soon as it starts moving it falls fast
That is so true it not even funny.

Sean

6.0L Tech Folder

Old 11-29-2015, 07:46 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Yahiko

Sean

6.0L Tech Folder

What I have seen in many tanks is the float doesn't move all the way to the top of the tank. So you have to use up all the fuel at the top of the tank and whatever is above the float before it starts to move and show on the gauge. There can be quite allot of fuel above the float depending how it is all set up and assembled.

Old 11-29-2015, 08:41 AM
cr1msonshade
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Needing some thoughts. I replaced my steering gearbox because I had almost 90* of play in steering wheel before it would start turning the wheels and was told by people (not on this site) that replacing was the only option. I got a reman unit from online and it did take all of the slack out of the wheel but after putting in the new box I am in the boat where acf6 was and I have no power steering at idle. My question is if that adjustment screw is to tight can it cause the loss of power steering at idle?

Old 11-29-2015, 09:48 AM
WatsonR
Post Fiend
added these to the truck

drivers side had a big crack in it allowing moisture in... looks much better.
New block heater tested overnight, works good.

Originally Posted by Snowseeker
What I have seen in many tanks is the float doesn't move all the way to the top of the tank. So you have to use up all the fuel at the top of the tank and whatever is above the float before it starts to move and show on the gauge. There can be quite allot of fuel above the float depending how it is all set up and assembled.
went 107 miles the other day on a full tank before the gauge started to move, sometime I wonder if i filled it to full and broke it.

Old 11-29-2015, 10:33 AM
KDAVID1
Logistics Pro
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
So what did you do to your 6.0L today?

Originally Posted by Yahiko

Sean

6.0L Tech Folder

Sparky and yahiko---yep

Funny thing even below 1/4 tank the most I've put in the tank was 38 gallons. It's a 44 gallon tank!!

Old 11-29-2015, 10:41 AM
Bullitt390
Certified Thread Hijacker

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts
Full tank I'll get 90+ miles before the needle is even with the full tick mark.

Josh

Old 11-29-2015, 11:19 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Our chevy will go most of the day before the gauge starts to move. But even though it shows "full" yet you will be able to get 10 gallons in the tank.

The last 1/4 tank really flys by in that truck!

Old 11-29-2015, 03:56 PM
acf6
Post Fiend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
has anyone replaced the upper bushings on the front leaf spring shackles? are there even any bushings there? something is clunking bad on my truck and im pretty sure its gotta either be that or ball joints again

and i need to figure out this steering situation soon...i wish i had just left the original steering box in lol, this new one from ford just makes my truck feel like i have 0 steering input. there is 0 slop in the steering...when i move the wheel, the wheels turn instantly, but the steering is so light. i dont like it one bit. i adjusted the screw in 1/2 turn today but not sure i want to go anymore on a brand new box

Old 11-29-2015, 04:03 PM
cr1msonshade
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
has anyone replaced the upper bushings on the front leaf spring shackles? are there even any bushings there? something is clunking bad on my truck and im pretty sure its gotta either be that or ball joints again

and i need to figure out this steering situation soon...i wish i had just left the original steering box in lol, this new one from ford just makes my truck feel like i have 0 steering input. there is 0 slop in the steering...when i move the wheel, the wheels turn instantly, but the steering is so light. i dont like it one bit. i adjusted the screw in 1/2 turn today but not sure i want to go anymore on a brand new box
want to trade steering boxes im thinking about backing mine out after hearing about your old box im thinking that maybe mine is to tight from the reman company

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: So what did you do to your 6.0L today?