6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

So what did you do to your 6.0L today?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2015, 04:05 PM
Rusty Axlerod
Lead Driver
Received 134 Likes on 79 Posts
Good news for me! Shutting down with the A/C off = no squeak. Yea! Thanks KDAVID1 for the heads up! Wasn't looking forward to more 6.0 O&P schooling right now. I've been grinding some serious overtime lately and expect it to last another couple months. I was worried I would have to park the truck. Just gotta go get one of those Gatorback belts now.

Old 06-28-2015, 04:25 PM
KDAVID1
Logistics Pro
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Rusty Axlerod
Good news for me! Shutting down with the A/C off = no squeak. Yea! Thanks KDAVID1 for the heads up! Wasn't looking forward to more 6.0 O&P schooling right now. I've been grinding some serious overtime lately and expect it to last another couple months. I was worried I would have to park the truck. Just gotta go get one of those Gatorback belts now.
Cool deal. I need one too. Heck I'm stacking stuff up left and right--might as well add the gatorback too.

Old 06-28-2015, 08:02 PM
Sparky83
FTE Legend
Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts
got the driverside head on and bolted down... essh what a pita... got a pic of it partially in but too tired to upload it.. also broke one of the O-rings for the injector so now i gotta order a new set just for the 1 ring.. and on top of that snapped 1 of the exhaust manifold bolts.. so also gotta replace it and the one nature ate away.. wasnt even all the way in yet with it either.. still had an 1/8" to go before contacting the spacer...

Old 06-28-2015, 08:23 PM
KDAVID1
Logistics Pro
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wish Stage 8 made a full bolt kit for the 6.0
I'd buy it today just for when the time comes.

Old 06-28-2015, 10:03 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
Originally Posted by Sparky83
got the driverside head on and bolted down... essh what a pita... got a pic of it partially in but too tired to upload it.. also broke one of the O-rings for the injector so now i gotta order a new set just for the 1 ring.. and on top of that snapped 1 of the exhaust manifold bolts.. so also gotta replace it and the one nature ate away.. wasnt even all the way in yet with it either.. still had an 1/8" to go before contacting the spacer...
How did you manage to kill an O-ring? Forget to oil it?

Tell you I am happy that I got a few extra injector seal sets
when I under torqued that one injector back in March I think it was.

Ride home on the flatbed makes one remember to look out for
that. I picked up a new small torque wrench after that stunt.

Sean

Old 06-28-2015, 10:27 PM
Sparky83
FTE Legend
Originally Posted by Yahiko
How did you manage to kill an O-ring? Forget to oil it?

Tell you I am happy that I got a few extra injector seal sets
when I under torqued that one injector back in March I think it was.

Ride home on the flatbed makes one remember to look out for
that. I picked up a new small torque wrench after that stunt.

Sean
it split in 2... was the one for the top of the Injector that seals around the ball tube stem.. couldnt get the little snap rings out to make it easier.. so did it the the way i was finding on you tube... unfortunately the very last one broke right in 2..

Old 06-28-2015, 10:29 PM
Sparky83
FTE Legend
now that ive eaten.. got the ones i took today uploaded.. didnt get any finished pics.. but heres what i did get...

head dangling over the engine lol.. dad was a little annoyed by that part of me wanting to take that pic..

nice new gasket..

and partly reinstalled... did get it mostly finished up.. but after rolling my ankle getting off the truck i was kinda done with it... oil rail still needs to go back in then i can get the valve cover on if my new seals for the breather ever get here...

so as of right now i need 2 new Exhaust bolts.. (one that snapped and the other nature chewed through).. 1 new turbo pedestal bolt (one was missing when i pulled it out).. and new seal kit for the one that i scavenged the seal from...

Old 06-28-2015, 11:26 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
Other than surfing the web and hanging out here on FTE I did
not even start it. Have not felt good all day. Between the back
sending shooting pain down the leg and what feels like the flu.
I have not been up to much at all. But I am starting to feel better.

I was thinking about fixing the PC so I could get at the service manuals
so I can post answers to some questions. I did manage to find all
most all of the files I need in my storage folder. Each time I get a
new question and create a fresh PDF I save it for later and it cam
in very handy today.

Sean

Old 06-29-2015, 08:13 AM
King-bRanch
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
^^^ Thanks for taking the time to help people out w/their questions Sean,
it's things like that which make this Site great

P.S...Hope ya feel better soon

Old 06-29-2015, 08:51 AM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 275 Likes on 138 Posts
Long weekend...

Friday after work, I was making a left turn and smelled coolant. I pull into the parking lot, lift the hood and voila, coolant everywhere. The radiator cracked at the seam and spewed coolant everywhere.

I wasn't about to replace it with something that was going to do the exact same thing, so I scored a Mishimoto radiator off Amazon for $413 shipped to my door. Even with the extra 2 day shipping I paid for, it won't be here till wednesday. Until then, I'm driving my Mother In-Laws GMC Sierra so:

Some good news:

-I my driverside hub was stuck and wouldn't come out, so after a good hammering session, it finally came out and got lubed up.

-I had a problem with the front brakes grabbing, shaking when braking, and not fully releasing. Come to find out, the boots on the caliper pins were all but gone on both sides allowing break dust and other debris to jam the pin. Both sides were fixed and are good to go again.

-I also found boot torn on the passenger side caliper, causing the brakes not to grab. A new caliper later, it's 100% again.

Now the wait until the radiator comes in....

Old 06-29-2015, 09:31 AM
Per4mance
Logistics Pro
Received 20 Likes on 5 Posts
Did ya get the all aluminum one? I regret not doing it when I was first putting the truck together when I first got it

Old 06-29-2015, 09:56 AM
Super Duty Service
Former Vendor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just as an FYI,, we replace EVERY fastener that touches exhaust. Manifolds and y pipe n up pipe. We also replace the ebp tube and the adapter that threads into the manifold. They're all fairly inexpensive. We go ford on all of it too.

Old 06-29-2015, 11:57 AM
Sparky83
FTE Legend
Originally Posted by Super Duty Service
Just as an FYI,, we replace EVERY fastener that touches exhaust. Manifolds and y pipe n up pipe. We also replace the ebp tube and the adapter that threads into the manifold. They're all fairly inexpensive. We go ford on all of it too.
im having to do that anyways... the manifold side of the line was so rusted it was literally frozen adapter.. same with the adapter to the head.. couldnt break them apart.. least not nicely..

my ypipe and delete pipe came with new bolts for them so all happy there.. was just the head i didnt have any.. i was hoping to get away with just reusing the manifold bolts for a short while anyways as i need to replace the manifolds once i get my funds built back up.. nature hasnt been too nice to them.

Old 06-29-2015, 01:54 PM
2006lariat
Lead Driver
Received 228 Likes on 62 Posts
Bought all new Spicer stuff to rebuild my front axle. The XRF stuff only lasted 30,000 miles.

Old 06-29-2015, 02:10 PM
Excurvelle
Cargo Master
Received 214 Likes on 144 Posts
Originally Posted by Toreador_Diesel
Friday after work, I was making a left turn and smelled coolant. I pull into the parking lot, lift the hood and voila, coolant everywhere. The radiator cracked at the seam and spewed coolant everywhere.

I wasn't about to replace it with something that was going to do the exact same thing, so I scored a Mishimoto radiator off Amazon for $413 shipped to my door. Even with the extra 2 day shipping I paid for, it won't be here till wednesday. Until then, I'm driving my Mother In-Laws GMC Sierra so:

Some good news:

-I my driverside hub was stuck and wouldn't come out, so after a good hammering session, it finally came out and got lubed up.

-I had a problem with the front brakes grabbing, shaking when braking, and not fully releasing. Come to find out, the boots on the caliper pins were all but gone on both sides allowing break dust and other debris to jam the pin. Both sides were fixed and are good to go again.

-I also found boot torn on the passenger side caliper, causing the brakes not to grab. A new caliper later, it's 100% again.

Now the wait until the radiator comes in....

Sounds like she was ready for some maintenance downtime.

Quick Reply: So what did you do to your 6.0L today?