6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

So what did you do to your 6.0L today?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2014, 09:12 PM
acf6
Post Fiend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
not sure how much/if any got in...was just pointing it out. Full tank too, im sure it'll be fine. It wasn't windy or anything, i dont think much could have gotten inside

Old 12-07-2014, 09:18 PM
KDAVID1
Logistics Pro
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by acf6
not sure how much/if any got in...was just pointing it out. Full tank too, im sure it'll be fine. It wasn't windy or anything, i dont think much could have gotten inside
That's good

2006 F350 4X4

Old 12-07-2014, 09:40 PM
jswartz84
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Mine was green when I flushed it at 62k.

Old 12-07-2014, 10:46 PM
FICMrepair.com
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by nmclella
So I think my alternator is going down the tubes. I saw today it was showing about 13.4-13.6 volts today down from 14-14.2 earlier in the week. Would this cause my FICM voltage to drop like a stone as well? Before it was 47-48 consistently and is now registering 40-44 volts... at times it is in the 48 range it is supposed to be but more often that not it is ~40-44 volts. Do both need to be replaced? If I throw in a new/reman alt will that maybe fix my FICM woes or will that need to replaced as well. Been showing white smoke on cold startup yesterday/today and goes away after warmed up. Some threads point to FICM failure... but as I said earlier could it be linked to FICM low voltage because of alternator?

Thanks,

Nate
Hey Nate - as Sparky suggested, I'd clean up the contacts and bench test the alternator to see what's what. If you do need a replacement, we could ship you one along with an exchange unit FICM or with a repaired version of yours. The lowest end unit we carry puts out at hot idle what the OEM unit does driving down the road!

Ed

Old 12-07-2014, 10:53 PM
04badford
Lead Driver
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by FICMrepair.com
Hey Nate - as Sparky suggested, I'd clean up the contacts and bench test the alternator to see what's what. If you do need a replacement, we could ship you one along with an exchange unit FICM or with a repaired version of yours. The lowest end unit we carry puts out at hot idle what the OEM unit does driving down the road!

Ed
Well worth the time to have Ed and the Boys do the FICM work Nate and your truck wont be down that's the Best part, well the best part is the FICM

Old 12-07-2014, 11:01 PM
nmclella
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sparky83, Ed, and badford thank you for your replies. FTE is always a great community.

I will check the contacts and bench test the alt tomorrow hopefully. If things don't go well with the battery contacts I guess I'll be talking to Ed. I know from reading here over the past year that he is the highest recommended option in this case.

Thanks guys,

Nate

EDIT - Checked the coolant level today and it was down about 1/2 a litre. Smelled the smokeshow and it smelled sweetish??, so I guess I have a coolant leak somewhere.

Also pulled the following codes:

p0341 - Camshaft position sensor "A" circuit range/performance (bank 1 or single sensor)
p0611 - Check web (checked and this is an FICM code...)

Its parked now and I need to wrap my head around it and what it might cost me to get it back on the road/in a condition where it can be sold. Had someone coming to look later this week

Smokeshow

Was -10 F at the time.

Thanks,

Nathaniel

Old 12-08-2014, 09:18 AM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 279 Likes on 142 Posts
I see the garage open behind the truck, was it sitting outside? or Did you have it in your garage?

If you had it in the garage and moved it outside to warm the truck up, the PCM is working off of what it saw while the truck was in the garage. It will eventually adjust to the outside temperature and the smoke will clear, however, it will need a few minutes.

I would also have your alternator and batteries tested to make sure they're up to par as it could be one or the other causing the issue you're seeing. However, given that your FICM voltages are already dropping below 45 volts and lower, I'd suggest looking into a FICM halfshell as it needs to be repaired.

If your batteries are maintenance batteries, they may need to be topped off with distilled water and put on a slow charge. A word of advice because I've seen this happen: Pull the batteries from the truck and charge them. I was working on a '06 that the owner said had a crank/no start condition after replacing an injector. I advised that it would take a serious amount of cranking to start the truck, but he said it wouldn't crank long before the batteries gave out. They charged the batteries, but left them hooked up as they would be if they were about to start the truck. The charger showed 80%, but wouldn't budge from that at all. I pulled both batteries, charged them individually, and found that the driver side battery was almost completely dead. After charging both batteries individually, the truck turned over and fired as if nothing were wrong.

With regard to your alternator, I'd suggest looking at a local rebuilder as it sounds like it killed itself trying to charge the batteries, due to weak batteries or loose connections. Local rebuilders use quality parts and are better at making sure what leaves their shop won't be back anytime soon. I ran through 3 autozone alternators in 6 months before I finally took it to a rebuilder to have it permanently fixed. They cleaned it, tested it, replaced the regulator and I haven't seen much less that 13.7 volts and a regular 14-14.2 volts.

Old 12-08-2014, 05:23 PM
Maxium4x4
Super Moderator
Received 3,392 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Drove over to the upholstery shop near me and dropped off my Grand Cherokee seat bottom to get part of a leather panel replaced. After a lengthy discussion about my truck, it may be getting leather front seating... POS State patrol was out in force today, so I behaved.

Old 12-08-2014, 05:30 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Maxium4x4
Drove over to the upholstery shop near me and dropped off my Grand Cherokee seat bottom to get part of a leather panel replaced. After a lengthy discussion about my truck, it may be getting leather front seating... POS State patrol was out in force today, so I behaved.
How much are they asking to fix seat?

Old 12-08-2014, 07:43 PM
acf6
Post Fiend

drove mine around, then went to walmart to look for a new locking diesel cap which i guess they don't stock anymore..on the way back out to the truck i noticed a middle aged lady struggling with some large furniture box so i asked if she needed help and put it in her car for her. did my random act of kindness for the day lol

Now im going to order a cap on amazon

Old 12-08-2014, 08:57 PM
acf6
Post Fiend

does anyone run truck source diesel tunes?

Old 12-08-2014, 09:03 PM
dlibson
Hotshot
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Never heard of them...

Old 12-08-2014, 10:32 PM
Maxium4x4
Super Moderator
Received 3,392 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Originally Posted by MisterCMK
How much are they asking to fix seat?

I have the XLT cloth, going to a leather kit from his supplier, two tone grey. Checking prices.... then add install. To custom build from scratch would be cost prohibitive. My Grand Cherokee panel repair was $120 for what I had done today. Jeep left out a crucial pad to protect from buckling, he fixed that.

Old 12-08-2014, 11:50 PM
nmclella
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Toreador_Diesel
I see the garage open behind the truck, was it sitting outside? or Did you have it in your garage?

If you had it in the garage and moved it outside to warm the truck up, the PCM is working off of what it saw while the truck was in the garage. It will eventually adjust to the outside temperature and the smoke will clear, however, it will need a few minutes.

I would also have your alternator and batteries tested to make sure they're up to par as it could be one or the other causing the issue you're seeing. However, given that your FICM voltages are already dropping below 45 volts and lower, I'd suggest looking into a FICM halfshell as it needs to be repaired.

If your batteries are maintenance batteries, they may need to be topped off with distilled water and put on a slow charge. A word of advice because I've seen this happen: Pull the batteries from the truck and charge them. I was working on a '06 that the owner said had a crank/no start condition after replacing an injector. I advised that it would take a serious amount of cranking to start the truck, but he said it wouldn't crank long before the batteries gave out. They charged the batteries, but left them hooked up as they would be if they were about to start the truck. The charger showed 80%, but wouldn't budge from that at all. I pulled both batteries, charged them individually, and found that the driver side battery was almost completely dead. After charging both batteries individually, the truck turned over and fired as if nothing were wrong.

With regard to your alternator, I'd suggest looking at a local rebuilder as it sounds like it killed itself trying to charge the batteries, due to weak batteries or loose connections. Local rebuilders use quality parts and are better at making sure what leaves their shop won't be back anytime soon. I ran through 3 autozone alternators in 6 months before I finally took it to a rebuilder to have it permanently fixed. They cleaned it, tested it, replaced the regulator and I haven't seen much less that 13.7 volts and a regular 14-14.2 volts.
Thanks for the informative write-up sir. What you say about the PCM makes sense. While the garage is not heated, it is still ~45 while it was ~-10 F outside. Being paranoid of my non-bulletproof engine leads me to jump to cooler problems everytime it does something I'm not used to. I won't worry about the smoke anymore.

With regards to the alternator, I turned off the seat heaters and voltage went back up to ~14-14.2. The FICM voltage also went to 46.5-48 rather consistently. I think? this points to the alternator maybe not putting out enough voltage to run everything. It is the middle of finals right now so I haven't had time to check the cables/alt in a more serious way. I will do so next week.

Once again, thanks for the help everyone. I really appreciate it.

Cheers,

Nate

Old 12-09-2014, 08:26 AM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 279 Likes on 142 Posts
Originally Posted by nmclella
Thanks for the informative write-up sir. What you say about the PCM makes sense. While the garage is not heated, it is still ~45 while it was ~-10 F outside. Being paranoid of my non-bulletproof engine leads me to jump to cooler problems everytime it does something I'm not used to. I won't worry about the smoke anymore.

With regards to the alternator, I turned off the seat heaters and voltage went back up to ~14-14.2. The FICM voltage also went to 46.5-48 rather consistently. I think? this points to the alternator maybe not putting out enough voltage to run everything. It is the middle of finals right now so I haven't had time to check the cables/alt in a more serious way. I will do so next week.

Once again, thanks for the help everyone. I really appreciate it.

Cheers,

Nate
No problem at all!

The heated seat pulls some serious amps to do what it does, but from the sound of things your alternator isn't able to keep up with the demand. (which isn't surprising for the 110 amp, not sure what Ford was thinking )

I wouldn't wait too long to check the battery cables and charging system as your FICM is giving you the warning signs of failure. Ford says if the FICM drops below 45 volts, it must be repaired, I say anything below 47 volts.

It won't take more than 10 minutes to inspect and clean the battery cables, saving you from a pre-mature FICM repair.

Quick Reply: So what did you do to your 6.0L today?