Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Super Duty & Heavy Duty 1999 to current Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-11-2012, 08:43 PM
Senior User

satwood is starting off with a positive reputation.
2wd Front Rotor Wheel Bearing Question

Hi, I searched this SD forum but could not find a direct answer to my question. I'm picking up new front rotors for my 03 F350 dually. If I clean and inspect the old wheel bearings and don't see any problems, can I reuse them or is it much better to buy new bearings? I know the old bearings are worn into the races in the old rotors, so do I risk problems effectively giving them new races to ride on?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Steve
Old 03-11-2012, 09:44 PM
4000 rounds a min

Deluxe06 is a splendid one to beholdDeluxe06 is a splendid one to beholdDeluxe06 is a splendid one to beholdDeluxe06 is a splendid one to beholdDeluxe06 is a splendid one to beholdDeluxe06 is a splendid one to beholdDeluxe06 is a splendid one to behold
With what you stated about the old races if it were me I would just buy new Bearings and not risk having problems.
Richard PAA#119 00F350CCDually;7.3L;ZF6,4"MBRP;DIY5"Tailpipe;Modde d Turbo 1.0 exhaust with Ported Shourd;EBPV as exhaust brake;Custom Air Intake with 6637;T500 HPOP;DPTuner-Stock,60e,80e,60t,80t,120r; 6.0 Intercooler;SBC;FRx;HRx;OCR;Bellowed Up Pipes;GlowShift Guages,Boost,EGT;AE, B.E.S.T map
Old 03-11-2012, 11:10 PM
Senior User

northwindone has a good reputation on FTE.northwindone has a good reputation on FTE.northwindone has a good reputation on FTE.
I have been told in the past that wheel bearings and races are manufactured to be matched sets and that if you replace one you are supposed to replace the other. In fact when you put new bearings in you aren't supposed to mix up your new races and bearings and keep them matched up as as they were in the box. I don't know how accurate this is, but it makes sense to me. It actually brings up a question, can you even buy races by themselves? I always thought they were sold together and new rotor hubs came without races.
Old 03-11-2012, 11:24 PM

Toreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputation
Go to Autozone and get some Timken Wheelbearings. I got some on mine and they're still turning nice and smooth. Matter of fact, I think they need some grease...
Excursion & 6.7 Forum Mod Death Row Inmate #21
Black Beauty The Mighty 6.0: 2005 Ford Excursion Limited, 4wd "The 6.0" Bulletproofed by Powerstroke Enginuities Straight pipe, Atlas 40, Heavily RiffRaff'd, and Gearheaded
Big Red Beast The Mighty Excursion: 2001 Ford Excursion Limited, 2wd, "The 7.3" Built with blood and sweat by Me and Riffraff Diesel, heavily modded, also Gearheaded
FTE Guidelines
Old 03-12-2012, 05:36 AM
Senior User

1973Ford2004 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toreador_Diesel View Post
Go to Autozone and get some Timken Wheelbearings. I got some on mine and they're still turning nice and smooth. Matter of fact, I think they need some grease...
I just did this yesterday on my wife's trailblazer, Timkken is the way to go, IMO and Auto zone works for me, but stay away from the Duralast line.
Old 03-12-2012, 10:43 AM
Posting Guru

Onus is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I don't have a superduty but the twin i beam system hasn't changed much from my truck to the super duty. I'd just get new bearings if your replacing the rotors. They are not much more price to add on. Also don't forget the seals either. My local napa store hooked me up with all the parts i needed.
1990 F-250HD 2wd 7.3idi e4od 3.55s. Custom 360k 'The Carpathia' Daily driver.
Old 03-13-2012, 02:41 PM
Senior User

satwood is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thanks guys. I finished this last night. I put in a full new set of Timkens from Napa and everything is back together. I did almost forget the cotter pin on one side, my wife pointed out that little pin laying on the towel while I was hammering on the dust cap. She earned her date night with that one!

The new rotors came with races pressed in. The new bearings also came with races - and yes, you can buy just races because the outters came in seperate boxes. I did not want to press out the races in the new rotors to put in the ones that came with the bearings. I've never done that before and I guess if that was a bad thing then why would they put new races in the rotors anyway?

Incidentally, as I'm sure all of you have encountered, those brake caliper bracket bolts are really hard to get loose. Part of the issue is the rusted heads that required I hammer on the 13/16 socket, which then gets stuck and won't come back off. I used a 21MM 6 point socket instead, which still grips the head well enough but does not get lodged. That and a breaker bar and a 3 foot cheater pipe did the trick. Try that if you get stuck.
Old 03-13-2012, 03:17 PM
Senior User

northwindone has a good reputation on FTE.northwindone has a good reputation on FTE.northwindone has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by satwood View Post
The new rotors came with races pressed in. The new bearings also came with races - and yes, you can buy just races because the outters came in seperate boxes. I did not want to press out the races in the new rotors to put in the ones that came with the bearings. I've never done that before and I guess if that was a bad thing then why would they put new races in the rotors anyway?
Thanks for the follow up, I guess that disproves what I was always told. Good to know though since I'm thinking about replacing the front rotors on my 2WD Hardbody due to warped or uneven rotors. I just did the bearings on it last year and I really didn't want to have to deal with pressing new races in again.
Old 08-02-2012, 01:40 PM
New User

flyboynd is starting off with a positive reputation.
2wd Super Duty front bearings-machine shop or me?

I got the rotors off my 2wd 2000 f250, can I put the new bearings in, or should I take it to a machine shop?
Old 08-02-2012, 02:48 PM

Toreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputation
It's real easy to do yourself, just gently knock both of them out with a block of wood and you're good to go...

O'rielly auto even has a tool to pack the bearings before you put them in.
Excursion & 6.7 Forum Mod Death Row Inmate #21
Black Beauty The Mighty 6.0: 2005 Ford Excursion Limited, 4wd "The 6.0" Bulletproofed by Powerstroke Enginuities Straight pipe, Atlas 40, Heavily RiffRaff'd, and Gearheaded
Big Red Beast The Mighty Excursion: 2001 Ford Excursion Limited, 2wd, "The 7.3" Built with blood and sweat by Me and Riffraff Diesel, heavily modded, also Gearheaded
FTE Guidelines
Old 12-30-2013, 05:52 PM
Freshman User

mohoneywell is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by satwood View Post

Incidentally, as I'm sure all of you have encountered, those brake caliper bracket bolts are really hard to get loose. Part of the issue is the rusted heads that required I hammer on the 13/16 socket, which then gets stuck and won't come back off. I used a 21MM 6 point socket instead, which still grips the head well enough but does not get lodged. That and a breaker bar and a 3 foot cheater pipe did the trick. Try that if you get stuck.
These bolts are Locktite'd in, heat the threaded area with a torch to soften the glue.
Old 12-30-2013, 05:52 PM